Author Topic: CHEWIE's customs updated 06.22.2012  (Read 472229 times)

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
Re: CHEWIE's CUSTOMS - updated Sunday 8.21.05
« Reply #735 on: August 21, 2005, 11:12 PM »
I love the Clones: awesome work!

Does your AT-TE tank gunner's forearms fall of easily, though? what I did with mine before I made it into a super-super articulated clonie is that I replaced the tank gunner forearms with a #6 clone's forearms. It works wonders, stays on, and provides a lot more articulation.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #736 on: August 21, 2005, 11:14 PM »
That almost looks like an extra Bacarra body, not a Tank Gunner body, but I'm not sure....
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 21, 2005, 11:35 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for all of the feedback. 

Sith Lord Chaos - You're right, the first Clone would probably be better with some more of his "underwear" showing instead of so much armor.  I plan on making a couple more to be in his unit, so I'll see if I can come up with something that looks a little more battle hardened for the next one.  For the effect of his unshaven face, it was just a little bit of paint.

Gregorbian - Funny that you said that about the helmet, he actually has an EP2 helmet as well!   :D

Perennial - Some of my AT-TE gunner forearms are loose, others aren't.  That's a great idea about switching out the forearm, I'll need to try that.

Diddly - I'll put together a little "recipe" on Commander Grae and explain about the shoulder pad.

Dressel Jr - Pretty close on the paint scheme, I'll explain in his recipe.

Ok, here goes...

For the Commander Grae, he's from the following parts -

- Bacara body
- CT Stormtrooper helmet
- AT-TE Gunner top helmet piece
- Snowtrooper backpack
- Djas Puhr gunbelt

What I did was first take the Bacara body, and put the gunbelt on him.  I had to trim it down a lot to get it to fit.

Then, I cut the neck knob off of the figure, and fitted the Stormtrooper helmet onto him.

Then, with some epoxy putty I got the helmet attached to the AT-TE gunner head piece, and make a thin strip on the top of it to fill in the gap that the head piece would have left.

After that, I added the AT-TE Gunner shoulder pad (had to cut the back strap then glue it back on).

Finally all the pieces were together, but I didn't know what to do for a paint scheme.  I was going to hand paint him regular gray, but decided to experiment.  Instead of "dry-brushing", I decided to try spray paint.  I guess you could call it "dry-spraying" or something like that.

What I did was get black and tan spray paint, and used nice expensive $4.00 cans instead of the cheap stuff.  I lightly would spray with black, then tan, then black, then tan, etc. about 4-5 times with each.  Then I touchup up certain areas with a hand brush (like the eye holes) and then sealed with an acrylic matte spray.

I think I answered everyone's questions about him?

Also, it actually looks a lot better in person.  My camera kind of makes it look too grainy - it's not actually that grainy in person.  Much more sleek and smooth.

This is the same "dry spray" technique that I used yesterday on my Arachnid Mining Droid for the monthly customizing challenge -

Usually you guys know that I don't make all that many Clone customs and like to try crazy stuff that is just fan fic.  With that in mind, here's another one I made tonight for the Rykrof Enloe series.  His name is Jobe, and he's a Badoo Coraba terrorist.

:P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005, 11:37 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #738 on: August 21, 2005, 11:44 PM »
I like the dry spray. It looks really good. The new guy, Jobe, looks good. I like the body a lot. I wish the Cantina wave had been more readily availible. His hat thing is really goofy looking, but in a good way. What is it from?
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 21, 2005, 11:48 PM »
I got lucky on vacation in Cancun and scored a few Dannik Jeriko's on clearane at the Walmart down there last month.   :)

The head is from some Battlestar Galactica figure I got on ebay.  I like the helmet, but it is kinda goofy... what about his eyes?  Do they look too much like sunglasses?

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 22, 2005, 02:58 AM »
I like the eyes as sumglasses, looks slick. The helmet reminds me of what a samurai daimyo would wear into battle; I like it.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 22, 2005, 06:40 AM »
Clone customs from Chewie? What's next, Master Phruby making his own legion?  ;)

Well Chewie, I'm glad to see you got comfortable enough with your painting ability to work on some clones...I know you say you have trouble with straight lines, but that commander looks pretty clean. Here's my two cents:

Dirty Clone: Very well done. I like the idea that he's lost or worn out some gear alone the way. The paint app on this is really nice, but you might want to give him a more prominent 5 o'clock shadow. I'd also suggest maybe a ratty rain poncho, and maybe some primitive looking straps around his leg armor, to show the real straps have worn away and he's been forced to improvise.

Commander Grae: I really like the design and pattern of this guy. Very imaginative and a lot of fun. I'm not sure I'm into the speckled look, but maybe it will grow on me. (It might also make sense if he's stationed on a world that's mostly granite, or in a huge city of shattered duracrete...then the camo pattern would make perfect sense.)

Mining droids: EXTREMELY creative, I need to start paying more attention to the monthly challenges and trying to do some myself. Great job on these!

Jobe: A good background stooge, but not one of my favorites of yours. But then, not every character in the SW saga stands out either. He'd almost be so non-descript as to be really able to blend into a crowd and dissapear (quite the boon in his line of work) if not form his penchant for ridiculous hats. You know what, I take it back...I DO kinda like this mug.  He's make for some good comic relief as Rykrof chases him through a crowd, always spotting him because of his taste in headgear. :P

All in all a terriffic, fun update. Great work!

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #742 on: August 22, 2005, 07:39 AM »
Great idea on the speckled spray paint idea, very creative!  I might have to use that method if I ever getting around to making any more dioramas.  ;)
I like your new goon figure, he looks tough, but also looks like he's mostly talk - good stuff! 

I didn't even realize that was a Baccarra body - you did a great job of hiding the major defects of this figure  8)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 24, 2005, 10:28 AM »
Thanks guys.  Last night I decided I needed to make another custom of a familiar face, Rykrof Enloe.  Here he is in his battle damaged glory -

I guess this pic is a sign of things to come in the series.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Re: CHEWIE's CUSTOMS - updated Wednesday 8.24.05
« Reply #744 on: August 24, 2005, 01:31 PM »
Awesome!  He looks pretty beat up, nice weathering  ;D
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 24, 2005, 03:31 PM »
chewie pm'd you feel free to share it if you think it's a good idea.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: August 24, 2005, 05:18 PM »
chewie pm'd you feel free to share it if you think it's a good idea.

You sent me a PM?  It isn't showing up... can you try sending again?

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 24, 2005, 06:21 PM »
sorry chewie newbie mistake I've resent.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 24, 2005, 08:31 PM »
No harm done.  And great ideas in the PM by the way.   ;)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 25, 2005, 12:01 AM »
Ok, here's the first preview for the next photonovel... and this might be the only preview for a while.  I have a lot to do on this one.

edit - updated pic later in thread.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 11:34 AM by CHEWIE »