Author Topic: CHEWIE's customs updated 06.22.2012  (Read 472158 times)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Re: CHEWIE's CUSTOMS - updated Friday 12.30.05
« Reply #1485 on: December 30, 2005, 02:04 AM »
That hair turned out great CHEWIE - how long did that take to do?
I like the clean paint job too!
I've never paid much attention to these characters so I'm not sure how accurate they are, but they definitely look good to me.  Maybe you could give them some glasses (I think it was Jeff that cut the pin out of push-pins to make a glass)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: December 30, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Thanks Greg - I guess they turned out ok.  I have lots of cups/glasses that they are already drinking in the cantina.   ;)

Since these are kind of rare for me in making non-fan fic stuff, here's how I made them.

Parts used -

head - SAGA Padme Pilot
body - POTF2 ANH Princess Leia Collection 2-pk w/ R2D2

( 1 ) Remove the heads and hair from the Padme figures - the hair pops right off just like an arm or a leg.

( 2 ) Remove the heads off of the Leia figures.

( 3 ) Paint both Leia figures - first the entire figure (except the hand) with three thin layers of black, then seal it with matte spray - light coat of spray.

( 4 ) After drying, apply two coats of the base color (green or blue) then add the black details - seal/spray two times.

( 5 ) Glue the belt in place - it's loose and sags if you don't glue it.

( 6 ) Paint the dots on the belt.

( 7 ) Spray one more time, very light coat.

( 8 ) Take the heads - drill a small hole in the top of them.

( 9 ) Cut off a piece of a lightsaber - glue into the hole in the top of the head - this is your base for the hair.

( 10 ) Using black thread, wind it around your finger about 15-20 times. Glue one side of it w/ super glue.

( 11 ) Cut one side of the band of string - then you have one solid section of hair.

( 12 ) Superglue it to the head.

( 13 ) Repeat steps 10-12 as desired.

( 14 ) Using a thicker thread, use a lighter and burn the ends off of it (to keep it from fraying) - use about a 2 inch piece of thick thread.

( 15 ) Wind it up in a spiral around the lightsaber sticking out of her head and superglue it.

( 16 ) Wind the thin thread around it some to blend in with the thinner hair strands.

( 17 ) Use black paint to cover up any glue spots.

( 18 ) Spray one more time.

They took a while, but I guess it was worth it. I think the more I have the figures, the better I'll like them. Usually I'm used to making more fan fiction characters that don't have a specific look everyone is expecting, so maybe that's why I'm a little embarassed about these.

:P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 10:53 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: December 30, 2005, 11:05 AM »
There is nothing to be embarassed about. They look just like the sisters. Its the incrediable amount of work you did on the hair to get those results that I'm impressed with. I personally like the green color even though to be accurate it should be darker. I think I just like that color green.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: December 30, 2005, 02:30 PM »
I have to thank you Phruby for pushing this group project - I've always been scared to try making these figures, so finally I felt like it was time to give it a shot. 

The green one doesn't seem that bright in person, I think the flash is reflecting the green really bright.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: December 30, 2005, 02:34 PM »
I've got thank you and Greg for your support on these group projects. Its because of you two that these things are more than just my personal work in progress threads.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: December 30, 2005, 04:05 PM »
I 'm surprised we don't get more participation - I know some of them aren't easy and people are busy... but wow!  I think right now a lot of people are into EP3 Clones and fan fiction stuff?

Offline In Rem

• Jedi Initiate
  • Objection!
    • View Profile
    • Hobbygeek.com
« Reply #1491 on: December 30, 2005, 04:53 PM »
Here's my take on doing "Canon" characters as they appear in the films, and why I don't usually attempt them.

1. I can only make so many custom figures on my schedule.
2. Hasbro has shown more than a few times that no character, no matter how minor, is off limits. So I might put hours and money into a figure  that Hasbro will probably make better and that I can buy then for $6.
3. I'm not that great at sculpting, so nothing I make is going to beat even a sub-par HAsbro sculpt. :)
4. Therefore, make things of my own imagination, using elements of the SW universe as my foundation, and come up with new characters. I don't have to worry about getting something "right" for the most part, I get to be a little more creative, and I'm usually quite happy with whatever it is I produce.

And the hair on the Tonnikas will always scare me away from trying them anyway ;)

I DO however, love to see how people in the hobby approach the same concept very differently. So using stock characters for that is a great benchmark for projects like this.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: December 30, 2005, 05:07 PM »
In Rem, you pretty much summed up why I like to make fan fiction stuff too, which is why I like making the Rykrof Enloe series so much.   ;)

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: December 30, 2005, 05:46 PM »
Great Idea w/ those Modular Sets. I have a little background in Theater Set Design and we did this all the time for Plays. Alot of time we would paint the Backside of our peices to look like a totally different enviroment. I've been doing all my Photo Novel Work on a Green Screen and Photo shoping in the Enviroments. It's a pain in the u know what.

The Tonika Sister look Great. Excellent Job w/ the hair. Unfortunatly I did'nt have the Fodder to give these a try.

Keep up the Great work :)

Fritzkrieg

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: December 30, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Thanks Fritz.  Man I can't wait for your photonovel - I think it's going to be a lot of fun.  Will it be a series?

On the Tonnikas, I didn't have the fodder either, which kind of sucked.  I knew I had one Leia, but thought I had more than that.  Turns out I didn't, and had to overpay for the base figure for the blue girl.  Had to pay $20 for it, but it was worth it now that it's complete (or near complete).

Offline Quazar

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: December 31, 2005, 01:14 AM »
Chewie,

Your Tonnika sisters are GREAT and I friggin' LOVE the modular urban diorama.

You did amazing things with this beauty in your photonovel.  The design is incredibly innovative, allowing for countless variations.  It looks terrific!  Well done!  I'd love to try to create some kind of multi-purpose units like this.  Amazing job.
Sith Lords Are Our Speciality

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: December 31, 2005, 02:19 AM »
BEST...TONNIKA...SISTERS...EVER!!

Seriously, these look great. If only my attempt to do hair like this on my Quinlan Vos custom had yielded such results...

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: December 31, 2005, 02:33 AM »
Land and DD - thank you on the sisters.  I have a friend come over tonight and offer me an outlandish amount of money for them.  It was tempting, but I couldn't part with them... I almost caved in though.  I just felt wrong taking maybe that much money, and really don't want to have to try and make a second set of them now.  They're starting to grow on me now.

Thanks too about the modular set for the photonovel - these setups may be the choice for most of the rest of them - making a new one for each story.  As time consuming as it sounds, it will save me HOURS of digital editing that I'm not good at anyway.

Offline Spectre

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spirit Of Wrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: December 31, 2005, 02:45 AM »
Very nice looking Tonnika Sisters. I have always held ff on making these two ladies and will continue to do so as I'm sure Hasbro will get around to them eventually. It may take until the license is up in 2018, but I'm a very patient man ;)

Your foamcore set is quite impressive and very versatile as you can set it up in a number of different configurations. Nice job.
Looking for EXCELLENT 1/18 scale weapons? Check out Marauder, Inc.
www.marauderinc.com/servlet/StoreFront

1 Stop Shopping For all Your Customs Needs:
www.goodtogocustoms.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: December 31, 2005, 12:15 PM »
I have to give Cudos on the hair as well, Chewie. Just fantastic.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."