Author Topic: CHEWIE's customs updated 06.22.2012  (Read 474823 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: CHEWIE's CUSTOMS - PN preview pics 5.18.06
« Reply #2265 on: May 18, 2006, 04:41 PM »
Another great update Justin.   :)

SET GAGE - Nice and simple, he could fit in to any CW diorama. I agree with Rolla that the eyes look a little... of. Bbi paints their eyes different, they don't line the tops of them like Hasbro does for some reason, I think it would look much more normal if you did. A Padawan could look cool, but I don't think it is necessary. The drybrushing and overall paint app is of course wonderful.

QUEEN JAMILLA - I really like this one a lot. That Lucas set was great, I only wish I'd have picked up a second for customizing. I really like the part choice here, they fit together very naturally. The only thing I can suggest is to try and match the skin tone on the neck and the face better, you could even just give here more face paint so it is no longer an issue.

TRIGG FUUDA - Excellent work on this one. Like Fritz said, it is the jewel of the lot. I really like the POTC legs on him. I wouldn't have even recognized the Madine torso and arms if you hadn't said anything. Those firespeeder gloves really are great. A+ in my book. I think I’d be cool if you were to show comparison shots for all these figures that you are redo-ing.

The preview shots all look great, I really hope the Obi-Wan in the Naboo Wave looks as good as yours. You really have gotten better at the facial manipulation; the eyes on Rykrof look great, and look as if they were painted that way. :)
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: CHEWIE's CUSTOMS - PN preview pics 5.18.06
« Reply #2266 on: May 22, 2006, 01:57 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  Here are some more customs that I was able to work on today, my first free day in months it seems.  Had to take advantage of it.

KASHYYYK SCOUTS - These were a commission, all painted from the VSTC Scout Trooper.  The collector I am making these for has sent me 20 of them to repaint, so there will probably be many more of these to come.  Not entirely screen accurate but they look cool set up in a little squad.  They might have a bit too much white on them but I think that's how he wanted them.

FLASH SPEEDER - Just a repaint for the Monthly Customizing Challenge.  I didn't want to change the look of it, just alter the paint scheme a bit.

EMPEROR PALPATINE - I'm so tired of people complaining about the hood on the SAGA Palpatine Emperor figure, so here is a very simple solution that takes less than two minutes -

head - SAGA Emperor Palpatine
body - SAGA Emperor Palpatine
hood/robe - ROTS Emperor Palpatine

TRIBBIL SHELL - Just a civilian for the Rykrof Enloe series.

head - POTF2 Ishi Tib
torso/arms - ROTS Plo Koon
hands - ROTS Plo Koon
legs - ROTS Saesee Tiin

PEACE OFFICERS ORA TELLE and KOLLEN MANE - For the Rykrof Enloe series.  I needed to give them new legs with added better articulation.

heads - ROTS Shaak Ti and a BBI figure
body/arms - SAGA Lt. Faytonni
legs - ROTS Prisoner Palpatine

PEACE OFFICERS RYKROF ENLOE and TYLIN GERE - I needed to give them better gloves, the Madine gloves just don't hold blasters well, and wanted to give them better legs too.

heads - SAGA Endor Rebel and POTJ Boshek
torso - OTC General Madine
arms - SAGA Lt. Faytonni
gloves - SAGA2 Firespeeder pilot
legs - ROTS Prisoner Palpatine

PRINCE XIXOR - PRE CLONE WARS

head - SOTE Prince Xixor
body - ROTS Mas Amedda
hands - ROTS Mas Amedda

BROTH TELLER - Just a Bith that will show up in a photonovel.  Most likely just a civilian.

head - POFT2 Cantina Band
hands - POFT2 Cantina Band
rest - ROTS Prisoner Palpatine

:)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 02:06 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: CHEWIE's CUSTOMS - updated 5.22.06
« Reply #2267 on: May 22, 2006, 03:24 AM »
Sweet, another CHEWIE update!

Kashyyyk Scouts-   These look pretty good, not 100% accurate, but since that isn't what he was going for they are fine the way they are. I really like your design on these, the colors look great. I look forward to the next 16. :P

Flash Speeder- That's a very nice looking repaint. The Silver looks great, and there seems to be some wear and tear, but not too much. Which is good since thins on Naboo always seem so clean. I like the bits of blue too.

EMPEROR PALPATINE-  I never did pick up a loose version of the SAGA Emperor. This one has been on my to-so list with the re-release coming up. Nice work, he looks 10x better.

TRIBBIL SHELL- For just an average civilian he sure looks good. The highlighting on the skin is very well done. I always really like the 'boring' background types for some reason. This one is no exception. The clothing looks very civilian and doesn't have a Jedi feel to it, even tough all the body parts are from Jedi figures.

PRINCE XIXOR - PRE CLONE WARS- Personally I think I liked the first version you made of him better. This one still looks very nice though. I like the blue and Red, I think it works fairly well together. The skin looks very nice, much better than the flat green on Kenner's version. Maybe it is just the flash but one eye seems to be darker than the other one?

The lot of Peace Officers- All of these are looking good too. I'm liking the new uniform style. How come Rykrof and Tylin get the spiffy Madine chests and the other guys don't? Is it just a matter of rank?

BROTH TELLER- Same thing goes for this one as the other civi. All the little folds and wrinkles in the skin go just the right amount of color, it looks very life-like.

Excellent work, I can't wait for the next update!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 03:25 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: May 22, 2006, 10:27 AM »
Finally after a long dry spell, New customs from Chewie. YAY!!! :P

I love the scouts. I dont care if they aren't accurate they look awesome.

I like the Xixor I've got an extra body like that, But I never knew what to do with it. I didn't really care for the original kenner fig. Sometimes the simplest touches can be the most effective. I really like this one.

As for the peace officers, the articulated legs are a definate plus.The black contrasts with the blue very well. I am definately looking forward to seeing them in the PN.

I may have to do this with my ROTS Palpy. It does look a hell of a lot better. Good job.

The two civillians look great too, But the Bith is my fave. Excellent job as always.

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #2269 on: May 22, 2006, 12:37 PM »
That Prince Xizor is very cool.  What a great way to update the look of the old figure...he will look fantastic next to the modern sculpts.  The paint work on the Kashyykk Scouts is incredible!!!  Man...the weathered effects and overall execution just totally blows me away.  The speeder is well painted, but I think you could punch it up a bit more with some details, decals, or perhaps some additional color/accessories...it looks a little bare.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: May 22, 2006, 06:49 PM »
the K scouts rule!!
Yo is what yo is.

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: May 22, 2006, 08:06 PM »
great work as usual chewie!

-even if they aren't exact to the movie, those kayshyyk scouts are very cool. i like the dramatic contrast between the mid section coloring and the reat of the coloring, the biege/brown really sets them off. i also like the excess white on them, it reminds me that they are still clone troops, the movie kayshykk troops are such a far cry from a standard clone trooper color or helemt change. great work!

-the ishtib civilian is awsome. the matching under shirt and boot straps are cool. painting the plokoon hannds green to match the ishtibs skin color was very clever and it looks really good. i like the civilian background charecters it's cool to see someone put some of them out there.

-the bith civilian has to be my favorite. very simplet but very cool. i think it would be an improvement if you painted the robe a different color, mabey a light color like tan or biege dry brush so that the black still showed through, or a light grey, just a suggestion. but still a cool custom.

great update CHEWIE, i always enjoy your custom's!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:08 PM by jedistyle »
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: May 23, 2006, 01:16 AM »
If I may ask, what figure is considered to be the Prisoner Emperor figure?
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: May 23, 2006, 03:28 AM »
Great update! Makes me yearn for the day I can do one of my own...

KASHYYYK SCOUTS: Even though they're not "film accurate" these look really, really keen. The weathering and drybrushing on these is top notch, and the color selection goes great together.

GOFORPAPAPALPATINE: A much needed improvement, but I still am not a fan of this figure or his awkward pose. Looks like Zombie Palpatine...put those overly long arms out and make him go "braaaaaaaiiiiins"...

TRIBBEL SHELL: Great name, and a really fun custom. I really like civilians, and this guy is quite spiffy in his bright red dude. The boots look good as well, and the straps are a nice touch. The paint app on his head is perfection itself.

ORA TELLE AND KOLLEN MANE: Nice updates to these two, but will Hasbro EVER get around to making a security body that isn't a hunchback? You did a nice job of disguising the base figures flaws though...nice work!

RYKROF AND TYLIN "BOOTLICKER" GERE: Much improved versions to the originals from so long ago, if only because you abandoned those security bodies. These look really good, I like how the rebel-esque jackets give them an immediate appearance of higher rank. Tylin's still a self-serving jackass, though.  :P

XIZOR: Great paint app on the robes, and a good choice of color. He almost looks a little plain though...not as flamboyant as the Xizor we've seen before, but maybe since he's not a Vigo yet? Also, wasn't Xizor in Black Sun because Vader killed a bunch of his people, or was he already in Black Sun when that happened? I can't remember.

BROTH TELLER: Phenomenal job on the paint app on this guys head; great colors and detail. Again you show us why you're the drybrushing master! Great update!

Oh yeah...Tylin's a jerk.   ;D

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline blaster_e11

• Jedi Initiate
  • Charming to the last
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #2274 on: May 23, 2006, 07:17 AM »
hi justin

those are some nice customs !

did i get it right ? a guy sent you 20 VTSC scout troopers for customizing them ? :o

that's crazy and kinda cool ;)
"Wars don't make one great"

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: May 23, 2006, 10:50 AM »
Chewie - I can't believe I waited two days to comment on these customs!!  Sorry!

Kashyyyk Scouts-   Scouts look great.  The color scheme on the all the Kashyyyk troopers are lost of me to some extent but this lot does look good!

Flash Speeder-   Nice simple repaint.  As usual your drybrushing looks great.  Did you spray paint this one first or is it brush painted??

EMPEROR PALPATINE-  Which Saga body did you use on this on?  I don't remember Palpatine from the saga line but I'm sure I'm just forgetting it.  I really like the ROTS hood on him.  I think that is a very under-rated accessory.  Well done!

TRIBBIL SHELL- Nice mixture of parts on this one.  Its amazing how a repaint will transform the jedi robes.  I almost didn't recognize the clothes as a jedi tunic.

PRINCE XIXOR - PRE CLONE WARS- This is my favorite of the bunch.  Its pretty simple but it looks just great.  I picked up an extra Xixor and I'm trying to figure out what to do with him.  I may copy you :)

Peace Officers- Nice updates with the articulated legs.  Your endless supply of fodder just kills me :)

BROTH TELLER-  My second favorite.  I wish I had more of these Bith Musicians.  I'm going to make a mold of the head one of these days.  They just look too cool.  I love the combination of the head and robes on this one!

Glad to see you back in the game!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: May 23, 2006, 12:45 PM »
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I took advantage of the past weekend to get back in customizing, after the past three weeks at work, I'm about to go nuts.  And it's going to be this way for a while at work.

I got another Kashyyyk Scout done last night, and toned down the white highlights on the others.  I hope to have 10 of them done by the weekend.

On the Xizor, I know he's not too ornate looking there, for the scene he'll be in for a photonovel, I think he'll fit in ok as is.  Or at least that is my hope.

And yes, Tylin Gere is an ASS.  I can't wait to show his true side soon in the Rykrof Enloe series.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 23, 2006, 03:20 PM »
to answer the question from earlier in the thread "Prisoner Palpatine" is the ROTS Palpatine figure dressed in black that comes with a pair of stun cuffs. It is the outfit he wore when they rescued him from the Invisible Hand in the movie.

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: May 23, 2006, 05:50 PM »
Nice Update Chewie!

You've Been Putting in Some Overtime I see.

KASHYYYK SCOUTS > Very Nice Paint Aps. How are they Holding Up Given All the articulation these Figures Have. I'm Suprised That Your Customer Did'nt Want them Painted Green. These Remind Me More of Imperial Commando Troopers then than Kashyyk Clone Troopers

FLASH SPEEDER> The Gray Color Reminds me a Little to Much Like Primer. Mabey a Couple of Blaster Burn Marks Will Give it a Little More of a Battle Worn Feel.

EMPEROR PALPATINE> I never Really had a Problem with The Emperors Hood, All the Same this One Looks Fine to Me As well.

TRIBBIL SHELL> Good Solid Background Character. The Green Skin Tone you used Looks Really Realistic. I picked Up This Same Body On Clearence at Walmart for .50 Yesterday. Not Sure what I'm going to use it for yet.

PEACE OFFICERS ORA TELLE and KOLLEN MANE> Good Revisions I like the New Legs. Good Job.

PEACE OFFICERS RYKROF ENLOE and TYLIN GERE> The Arms look a Little Long On these. I did the Smae Thing on A Custom Coruscant Officer I made, and I had to Trim the Sleeves Back a Bit to keep the Arms at a natural Length

PRINCE XIXOR - PRE CLONE WARS> My Favorite of the Bunch. Nice Clean Custom of an Important  EU Character. Again Good Skin Tone.

BROTH TELLER > Simple Yet Effective. I'm amazed at How you Come Up with Names for even your most Obscure Characters.

Keep Up the Great Work Chewie.

Fritzkrieg

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 23, 2006, 10:35 PM »
Thanks for the comments Fritz.

I see what you mean on the Flash speeder.  I probably should have added more color to it, but I didn't add blast marks much at all because it's supposed to be on Naboo before the Clone Wars.

I actually did trim those sleeve cuffs some on the Enloe and Tylin customs, but probably need to trim a bit more off of them.

On the Kashyyyk scouts, the paint seems to be holding up fine, the only area I was concerned with was the shoulder joints, so what I do with figures like that is make one glue point to where it limits the articulation at the ball joint to only go "forward and backward" instead of also "inward and outward" - you lose a bit of articulation but never have to worry about paint chipping.

The Kashyyyk scouts still have a lot of green to them, just not much of a camo pattern.  Here is a new pic as I have 6 of them done now.