Author Topic: DARKLORD'S Customs  (Read 22669 times)

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: DARKLORD'S Custom Action Figures (Part 7)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2004, 11:46 PM »
DARTH VADER: Dark Lord of the Sith
Custom Action Figure and Photos by Roberto Williams

PROBLEM:
There have been many Darth Vader action figures produced over the years. NONE of them accurately depict the powerfully elegant and imposing SHAPE of the Dark Lord of the Sith! NONE of them feature ALL of the details that I wanted to see incorporated into a single Vader figure.

Typically, Hasbro has sculpted Vader’s robes as rigid plastic, or as a part of his torso sculpt. The mask/ helmet sculpts for ALL Kenner / Hasbro Vader action figures have always been inaccurately depicted and / or disproportionately SMALL in relation to the body. The recent Darth Vaders offered by Hasbro have either been anorexic (2004's VOTC Vader), posed with an OVERLY WIDE stance (Evolutions Vader), wearing overly POOFY soft-goods (Both of them), or just plain ol' pea-headed (All of them!!)

GOAL:
The goal here was to create a neutrally-posed, richly-detailed 4 inch-scale action figure of Anakin Skywalker as the powerful fallen Jedi Knight that he ultimately became. The first thing I decided was that ALL of his robes and cape were to be made of CLOTH. Also, I wanted this custom action figure to be able to unmask with the correct THREE stages of head gear (rather than Hasbro’s typical two.) Most importantly, I wanted a custom action figure that just looked elegant and STATELY when standing neutrally at ease. As always, custom Vader had to be correctly scaled in relation to the rest of the STAR WARS action figures in my collection (including other Customs).

“If you only knew the power of the Dark Side!”

RECIPIE:
1) POTF II "Flashback" Anakin Skywalker head  (Re-sculpted as burn-disfigured Anakin)
2) POTF II Ben Obi Wan Kenobi ( Additional Ear contour)
3) POTF II Darth Vader with Removable Helmet (Rear neck brace, Inner breathing mechanisms for mask)
4) POTF II Complete Galaxy Darth Vader (Surface details of exposed mask cranium)
5) POTJ Dagobah Darth Vader (Torso, upper legs, pelvis (re-sculpted for narrower-stance legs) )
6) POTF II Comm Tech Chip Darth Vader (Lower Legs/Boots, Cloth skirt, Main Cape (tailored) (Note: THREE of this action figure were used to obtain enough black fabric to create Vader’s inner robes)
7) 25th Anniversary Darth Vader Final Duel (Right arm, surgically re-positioned, Chest life-support unit)
8) SAGA Darth Vader Bespin Duel (Left arm, Metal lightsaber hilt and red blade)
9) POTJ Darth Vader Emperor’s Wrath (Cod-piece, Belt life-support monitor units)
10) SAGA Darth Vader Throne Room Duel (Belt buckle)
11) Black Ribbon (Used to create Belt)
12) Graphics on Belt Box Units (Created in Adobe Photoshop, and laser printed as Labels)
13) Toys R Us Darth Vader Character Umbrella (Used to create 3 individual mask and helmet sections. Sculpt is VERY accurate, and a PEREFCT size for a 4 inch scale figure)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 04:18 PM by DARKLORD »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: DARKLORD'S Custom Action Figures (Part 1)
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2004, 11:55 PM »
Well, darklord - first of all, welcome to the site :)

Your customs are very well done, it looks like you've taken a lot of time and care in putting them all together. And the pics are very well done as well. I like the POTJ head on that body, but never thought about hollowing it out like you did to make it usable with the ball jointed neck... excellent idea :)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: DARKLORD'S Custom Action Figures (Part 2)
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2004, 11:56 PM »
Nice use of soft goods for the hood on that Hoth Solo. More great work :)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: DARKLORD's Custom Action Figures (Part 3)
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2004, 11:58 PM »
Again, nice use of the older heads, hollowed out to allow for ball joint movement. The last thing we need right now is more Luke Skywalker figures, because everyone knows Hasbro has given us enough - but I would buy these in a heartbeat :) - especially the Jedi one. Much better than the last version done by Hasbro in the Saga collection.

If you keep this up, you might actually inspire me to get off my ass and do some custom work for the first time in years :)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: DARKLORD'S Custom Action Figures (Part 4)
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 12:00 AM »
Excellent use of part swapping to make some awesome Imperials!! That General Veers is outstanding. If you didn't post that it was a Palpatine head, I don't think I would have figured that one out. Awesome work!

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: DARKLORD's Custom Action Figures (Part 5)
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 12:01 AM »
I was never a fan of the "soft goods" figures that Hasbro has produced, but your Ben and Yoda make excellent use of fabric. Simply awesome work.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: DARKLORD'S Custom Action Figures (Part 6)
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 12:02 AM »
And another one... how many of these awesome customs have you done? My favorite character in the Star Wars Saga - done the right way. I wish Hasbro would make a version of Boba Fett that looked this nice.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 12:04 AM »
Palpatine - way better than the Easter Egg head version Hasbro gave us. Vader - again, last thing I need is another Darth Vader, but I would certainly buy this one if I saw it on the shelves.

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 12:12 AM »
HI Jokabofe!!!

Thank you so very much for the kind words about my customs, and even more importantly  Thanks so much for the warm welcome!!!!

It's GREAT to be here and I look forward to making many new friends!!! ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2004, 01:26 PM »
I believe I have seen your work DARKLORD on a custom website - I am extremely impressed with your work, and happy that you choose to share it with everyone.  My favorite is the Vader.

:P

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2004, 01:59 PM »
Hey there CHEWIE!!!

Good to hear from you!!   ;D ;D

Thanks for the welcome!!!  I AM trying to get around to as many sites as I can to make as many new customizing friends as I can ;)

I've LONG been an admirer of your photonovel work and the customs that you have posted on other sites too.  You are a real artist!!!  Your Bib Fortuna is a thing of beauty!!!

Best Regards,

Roberto DARKLORD Williams

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2004, 04:26 PM »
Man, why can't Hasbro just do 'em this way? I've been checking all Darklord's threads, and his stuff kicks Hasbro's collective asses nine ways to Super Bowl Sunday.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DARKLORD

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2004, 03:31 AM »
Hi there HMI !!

Good to know ya!!  I'm really glad that you like my work and I sure do appreciate the kind words.

In all fairness to Kenner / Hasbro, I would NEVER be able to get the results that I do if not for THEIR fine products!! 

As a customizer, I simply re-arrange things a bit, apply new paint, and wherever possible, employ soft-goods in a different application that strives for better fit. :)

Best Regards,

Roberto DARKLORD Williams

Offline Killer185

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 8, 2005, 02:42 AM »
I must say Darklord you are a custom god...your veers is amazing and your other customs... just unbelievely good.  Say how much for a custom veers and palps anyhow?! ;D
« Last Edit: January 8, 2005, 02:45 AM by Killer185 »
"Lose it? I didn't lose it. It's not like, "Whoops! Where'd my job go?" I QUIT. Someone pass me the asparagus. " - Lester Burnham, American Beauty

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #29 on: January 8, 2005, 01:56 PM »
All of these customs are beautiful - the Veers really blows the others away, though. I wish Hasbro would release a Veers exactly like this, but I know that this simply won't happen. Thankyou for sharing your recipe here, while I can't customize, it's still very cool to know exactly what elements you've used.

Very nice work!