Author Topic: Commander CuDa's Customs  (Read 16835 times)

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • CLICK HERE TO GET A COLLECTION VERY CHEAP
Commander CuDa's Customs
« on: June 5, 2005, 04:55 AM »
Well this is my first one ever lol... Im sure its not so great but tell me what you think or what you think I should work on .
I did this with paint brushes and clear coat . Hope you like Im working on a new one later this week I think lol.... I would kinda like to hear what you guys think before i jump into it again . ((IF THERES A PROBLEM AND YOU CANT SEE THESE PICS PLEASE TELL ME SO I CAN REPOST THEM THANKS))

Anyways tell me what you guys think And if anyone has used those micro pens doe they work well with a clear coat ? I used brushes on this one little little brushes lol ...
« Last Edit: June 6, 2005, 09:43 AM by CuDa033 »
CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE TO VIEW AND BUY MY COLLECTION !

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Commander CuDa's Customs
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2005, 09:01 AM »
Heres my Custom Slave C hope you like pics will be update so check the pages.  ;D
Pilot pics have been added
« Last Edit: July 7, 2005, 06:39 AM by Commander CuDa »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: My first custom ever ! Tell me what you think
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2005, 10:02 AM »
I wish I could see it. All I see is tripod logos. You might want to move your pictures to photobucket.com.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: My first custom ever ! Tell me what you think
« Reply #3 on: June 5, 2005, 11:08 AM »
If you click on the globe under my avatar you can see large scale shots ... theres no logo though just painted up clone commander . Hope ya like it . Im a rookie a big time rookie lol

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Re: My first Clone Custom (New Pics)
« Reply #4 on: June 5, 2005, 01:19 PM »
Nice job.  I'm a rookie here too, so welcome to the boards! 

The green lines are nice and straight.  What kind of paint and/or sealant did you use?  I only ask because he looks a tad too glossy, but that could be due to camera flash, or the fact that it's got shiny clear plastic all around it.

As for the black lines, I assume they're battle damage, or just wear and tear.  For blaster marks, I put a bit of black ink on my finger or a qtip, then just "punch" a spot on the figure.  I'd suggest you blur those lines a tad to make it look more authentic.

All in all a great start to customizing.

B

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
Re: SLAVE I CUSTOM
« Reply #5 on: June 5, 2005, 01:25 PM »
Well, if it came from a prison camp/world, I would expect it to be mainly drab and dull in color.  However, I think it'd be cool to see a Slave I with an Imperial look to it.  Paint on!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2005, 03:54 PM »
I wish my first custom looked that good.  Excellent job, and I agree with bjardkerr about the battle scarring - a bit of "uglier" wear and tear might look a little more realistic.

But overall, 100X better than my first customs, and better than most of the stuff I do now after almost 10 years of customizing.   :)

:P

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2005, 04:32 PM »
HEY WOW !  ;D Thanks alot guys good to hear I might be on the right track . As more come out im sure i will post them up on here . I admit the gloss is a lil to glossy but the picture is adding to the shine of it alot . I think im gonna try to use a less glossy clear coat next time. do any of you use actual dirt or leave stuff in the sun or out side to age the toy ? It was just sothing on my mind . well anyways thanks again I will use your advise on the one I will be doing today  ;D thanks again .

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2005, 04:42 PM »
Color selection might help you in "wear and tear" - I like to mix in several dull colors, like brown, a touch of silver, white and mix them up together for different results.  I haven't tried real dirt, but that's a good idea too.

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2005, 05:01 PM »
I looks preety good, esspecially for a first. I agree with the other guys uglier weathering makes it look more realistic. Welcome to JD and the world of customizing! ;D
"This is the way."

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2005, 05:43 PM »
Everybody already covered my thoughts, so I'll just repeat  :P
Excellent work!  Straight, clean lines are hard to get, and yours look great.  I agree that the weathering needs to be a little dirtier.

You could try dry brushing some "dirt" onto him.  CHEWIE is the resident dry-brushing master, so I'm sure he can help you out a lot more than me if you need some advice on that.  I would take a little bit of brown paint (maybe mix in a drop of black), dab your brush, and then wipe the paint off.  Then lightly brush the clone on parts that you would want to dirty up a bit (knees, shins, boots, elbows, wrists, etc) and you'll get a nice layer of "dirt" on your clone. 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2005, 05:48 PM »
A black/Imperial paint scheme sounds good to me.  Maybe a renegade Imperial Naval Officer turned bounty hunter or something like that  :P
You could do a black base coat and then paint some of the details gray and gunmetal.  I think a red or jade green insignia would look cool near the cockpit as well.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2005, 05:56 PM »
Thanks again for all the nice words. I really am getting into this stuff now . I was trying to figure out a good paint mix for a dusty or dirty look so i will try that brown silver and white mix out . Im gonna need to double check if thats one of the mixes in this thread but sounds good. I was thinking about throwing one of the figs in a tin filled with water and some dirt for a few days , rinse it then see how it looked (on some shoty old toy) just to see how it looks. I also got some new clear coat today. Its not as glossy so it should look alot better on the next one lol i hope. I have 10 sand troopers (clean versions) i got off ebay the other day for 10 bucks so i might test it out on one of them ... Well I am greatfull for all your comments . Anything to make a repaint better is good to hear also .

Offline Commander CuDa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 5, 2005, 05:59 PM »
Ok I am going with an imperial paint job on it ... the flat black and grey and all that just sounds so cool to me. I was also thinking of a window design that would in some way remind me of a tie fighter but I think im gonna have to think very hard on that detail. Other then that maybe also put the ship logo on the flaps in a green color or somthing. All your guys ideas are awesome .

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 5, 2005, 07:52 PM »
For a good clear coat and seal, Testors Dull-Cote rocks.  Not shiny at all, and it's fairly durable.  It comes in the little spray cans.