Author Topic: Customs by Darth Delicious- Update 10.25.08!!!  (Read 163000 times)

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
Re: Customs by Darth Delicious-Updated 7/21/05
« Reply #405 on: July 22, 2005, 11:40 AM »
Rishakra- A lot of first time customizers make the mistake of trying to use enamels. (I know I did!) The problem with enamels is that they're oil-based, gloopy, and just all around suck. They also don't adhere to certain types of plastics, so they never dry.

The type of paint you want to use is acrylics, and there are a lot of different brands that get different results. I used to use Tamiya exclusively, which you can get at any hobby shop, but I've recently fallen in love with Games Workshop paints, which are designed for painting gaming miniatures. The upside to GW paints is that they come in a variety of shades that other brands don't. For example, the blue on your clones can be matched with GW Enchanted Blue, and the red on the Clone Commander is matched with GW Gore Red. Hope that helps!

Chewie-Thanks for the comments! I'm pretty happy with the Gamorrean myself, but seriously want to add something to him. The drybrushing came out pretty well; I owe that to your training!   ;D

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 22, 2005, 01:47 PM »
love love love the Gamorrean.  definately not enough customs of him out there.  maybe you could've used a Porkins body on the Gran he's definately thicker, but maybe too fat.  painting is A+ it's just the head looks too big for the body.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 23, 2005, 12:58 AM »
Yeah, I agree - not enough Gamorrean customs out there at all.  This one is much better than the simple repainted ones that I've made.

:P

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 23, 2005, 02:46 AM »
Gran - While I agree that he does look a little thin, that's ok.  Not all Gran are gonna be thick.  Maybe his momma was a Rodian!   ;)   He does look nice, I really like the paint job you made for him.  It's a good color selection.

That sounds like a very obscure insult! "Your father was a Gran, and your mother was a Rodian!"

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 23, 2005, 09:24 AM »
Gran - While I agree that he does look a little thin, that's ok.  Not all Gran are gonna be thick.  Maybe his momma was a Rodian!   ;)   He does look nice, I really like the paint job you made for him.  It's a good color selection.

That sounds like a very obscure insult! "Your father was a Gran, and your mother was a Rodian!"

As long as his mother wasn't a hutt, and father a gamorrean  :o
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #410 on: July 23, 2005, 08:16 PM »
DD the Gran and Gamorrean look great!  :) I've really missed a lot around here lately. :-\

Gamorrean- I love the knee pads and shin guards as well as the He-manish barbarian skirt, they look like a natural fit. The ax is very cool. I love the blood and rust stains, they are a great touch. Adding armor to him would be tricky, but if you were able to make it thin enough I think you could make it work. I think a full or half "facemask" kind of \helmet would look cool, something like the orcs in LOTR would wear. is coloring is perfect and I love the extra skin highlights.

Gran- He looks good. He may be a runt, but there is always a runt in every litter of Gran. ;) The paint looks great but you may want to add some wear and tear to the belt and chest box, the seem to be untouched.

Thje CHEWIE style drybrushing turned out great. I'm looking forward to your next update. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 24, 2005, 04:01 PM »
SLC- Congrats on being the first to identify the skirt as being from a He-Man figure. Your idea for a LOTR style helmet intrigues me; I'll start looking around for a good fit.

As for the Gran, you're right about the belt and chest box. At first I rationalized that he had recently replaced those, but I think they DO need some detailing.

I hope to have a new update up these week...I just bought a ton of Titan A.E. figures at $2 each, so I've got some good new fodder to work with. I guess I'll add it to the two industrial-sized storage containers of figures I'm already working from... ;)

It's funny, the amount of figures in my fodder bin now outnumbers my actual collection, both carded and loose! Customizing is a sick obsession.  :P

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #412 on: July 24, 2005, 08:30 PM »
Customizing is a sick obsession.  :P
-DD

How very true!  ;)

I think it would be cool to give that Gammy a helmet of some kind. 
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 29, 2005, 12:07 PM »
I'm going to try and make some sort of different Gamorrean maybe someday... I've thought about making a female with red hair.  I wonder how that would look?

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
My psuedo-update
« Reply #414 on: July 31, 2005, 05:14 PM »
Remember my Obi-Wan in Clone armor from awhile back? Well, I had some pieces left over from the Battlepack Obi-Wan, and since the new SITH Jedi Pilot Obi-Wan is so amazing, I decided to do something Hasbro never did... give us a decent AOTC style Kenobi.

Not much of a custom...a simple headswap...but satisfying nonetheless. Please ignore the spare lightsaber. :D

-DD
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 05:15 PM by Darth Delicious »
Back from the dead!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Customs by Darth Delicious-Updated 7/31/05, sort of
« Reply #415 on: July 31, 2005, 05:41 PM »
Looks good DD, pretty simple custom but sometimes those are the best ones.

I really like that Obi Wan too... the only thing about it that I don't like is at the foot joint, for whatever reason they used a color plastic that doesn't match the boots color.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 31, 2005, 06:48 PM »
I really like that Obi Wan too... the only thing about it that I don't like is at the foot joint, for whatever reason they used a color plastic that doesn't match the boots color.

Yeah, that's weird. Usually it would bug me a lot but for this obi-wan, I don't feel bothered all that much by it. Maybe it's because of all the articulated goodness :P

So that's what the five-pack obi-wan head looks like? That's the best AOTC Ben head yet! and better yet, no need to hollow it out for a ball joint!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 31, 2005, 09:34 PM »
That is a mighty fine Kenobi. It's a decent head with a very good body. It's funny how the first wave of main characters is complete crap. The later wave is aways much better. I wonder why Hasbro does that? Why can't they just release one good version instead of five crap ones before the good one.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 31, 2005, 09:38 PM »
I don't know why they don't just come up with an ultimate sculpt, and re-release it when needed.  I guess they figure they'll make more money due to being able to make cheaper versions up front and everyone will want them, and making several versions also because there are a lot of completists.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #419 on: August 1, 2005, 12:15 AM »
I like it.  As CHEWIE said, sometimes the best customs are the simplest.

This is by far, the best Obi-Wan figure ever and it would be crazy for hasbro to release any other version of Obi-Wan (ep. II and Ep. III anyway).  Of course, that's from a collector's point of view...
The customizing potential of this guy is enormous, he is definitely the base figure for any new jedis that I might make...
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.