Author Topic: tykrazen's customs 8/7 Thrawn, organa Solo, Luuke, Karrde  (Read 38897 times)

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
  • Objection your honor! The pod race was pretty cool
    • View Profile
Re: tykrazen's customs 4/17 Thrawnpalooza continues
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2006, 01:29 AM »
I really think the Talon Kaarde works out well. You did a good job in disguising Spirit Iron Knife; the figure is completely unrecognizable!
-Matthew H.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2006, 04:10 PM »
Excellent work. I love the Talon Karrde. This is a very good representation of the character. The rest look very good too, but Kaarde is my fave.

BTW I'm not sure if its just me or not, but it looks like your death squad trooper has his feet reversed.

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2006, 04:29 PM »
Excellent work. I love the Talon Karrde. This is a very good representation of the character. The rest look very good too, but Kaarde is my fave.

BTW I'm not sure if its just me or not, but it looks like your death squad trooper has his feet reversed.

LMAO, I knew last night when I took the pictures, something didn't seem right.  Now I know -- I can't believe I missed that!  I'll add that to the worklist.

I'm also going to be going back and reworking the noghri as well, the color is off and I think I might "beef" him up.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2006, 10:45 PM »
Talon Karrde looks great.  I had no idea on that base figure and I just bought one last week.

On the Mara Jade custom, the head looks like its "off skew" a little bit.  However, I think this is great custom! 

I'm not familar with the Noghri but he's a great looking figure.

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2006, 07:28 AM »
I did some clean-up work on the Death Squad Trooper including putting the legs on the right sides (how stupid am I?) and cleaning the inside of the head a bit better so that it seats properly on the body.

Plus here's my next WIP for the project: Grand Admiral Thrawn.  The head is a GI Joe Comic 3 Pack General Arbernathy, the arms, torso and skirt are from a Saga Admiral Ozzel and the legs are from a Saga 2 General Veers.

And for fun here's a group shot of all my Thrawn Trilogy pieces in their various states of complettion -- can you guess which characters the two heads are for :)?

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
Re: tykrazen's customs
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2006, 08:25 AM »

The cargo shuttle is just too cool!  How long is it?  Is there an area for cargo to go?  I really like this.

As for the terror dome, awesome!  I have a old one that is in hellish condition, I might copy your idea here.  Is there an easy way to get the top part off like you did?

Also, it looks like you're making a Sarlacc pit?

Oops I totally missed your questions...

The cargo shuttle  is about 16" long -- the rear does open and has room for cargo containers.  Basically from the R-Unit back is all cargo space -- kind of a space station wagon :).

As for removing the top of the terrodrome, it was fairly easy -- just a little gentle pressure to pull it off.

As for the sarlacc pit -- hmm... I guess it does look that way doesn't it... if I wasn't so obsessed about getting the command center done, I might have considered a change in plan.

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
Re: tykrazen's customs 4/22 Geonosis Landing Dio
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2006, 04:52 PM »

Here's a pic from my latest diorama.  It's meant to fit on a small shelf (18" x 12" x6 1/4").  The ground is particle board covered with permascene.  The background is made from carved styrofoam.  The Jedi starfighter is a customized E2 Obi-Wan Kenobi Starfighter.  I dremmeled the hull to match the pictures of the damage done to the ship by Jango.  The whole ship was repainted in a red wash, then the white was repainted.  Extra dings were added and the cockpit received a repaint as did little R4.  More pics are available in my gallery at theJawa.com... www.thejawa.com/customs/tykrazen/tykrazen.php

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2006, 10:59 PM »
I like it.
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline hyouriittai

• Youngling
  • Objection your honor! The pod race was pretty cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2006, 12:57 AM »
I love the texture of the background, and you blended the paints just right. Think you could give us a run down on how you did it? Nothing extensive, just a little blurb. Very cool diorama, tykrazen!
-Matthew H.

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2006, 06:00 AM »
Very cool looking dio the ground work in particular looks great very realistic.

Ron

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2006, 07:52 AM »
I love the texture of the background, and you blended the paints just right. Think you could give us a run down on how you did it? Nothing extensive, just a little blurb. Very cool diorama, tykrazen!

Sure, it was pretty simple actually.  I hacked away at the styrofoam with a metal ruler to "carve" it.   I used Citadel's Bleached Bone as a base coat.  After the base coat dried, I filled a spray bottle with Apple Barrel Cardinal Red and lots of water.  I sprayed the water/ paint mixture liberally all over.  The trick with this layer is for the application to be very inconsistent and random.  When that dried, I used a 1 1/2 " trim brush (like you would use to paint your house) and dry-brushed Apple Barrel Burnt Sienna.  What's critical on this layer is to paint darker in the areas you don't want the viewer's eye to focus and lighter where you do.  Since the Starfighter cockpit, the damage, and  Obi-Wan form the triangle where I wanted the focus, the wall behind and the ground surrounding that area receieved significantly less brown paint than the rest of the scenery.

If you want to see WIP pics of the piece, it's in the background of many of my Clone Command Center WIP pictures as the two were worked on concurrently.

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
Re: tykrazen's customs 4/24 Clone Command Chariot
« Reply #71 on: April 24, 2006, 07:30 AM »
Yet another piece done... here's my Clone Command Chariot.

It's a fan fiction vehicle.  I figure it is speeder used to move Republic Army Commanders behind the lines.  The chasis is a stripped down GI Joe Mauler Tank, with Vintage Landspeeder wheels (so it can roll) and a Saga Snowtrooper E-Web Cannon.

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2006, 10:06 AM »
 :D I love it! But you should totally give the officer a Veers-type helmet...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2006, 11:53 AM »
That is really cool, and different.  I might suggest builing up some sort of armor around the top of it, but either way I like this a lot.  Cool idea and good execution.

:)

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2006, 11:10 PM »
That is really cool, and different. I might suggest builing up some sort of armor around the top of it, but either way I like this a lot. Cool idea and good execution.

:)
I've gotten quite a few comments on other sites from people saying it would be real easy to take out Tarkin.... stoopid officers having no knees :-P.

I think I'll be revisiting the design later in the week... 1st to give some sort of protection to creepy ole' Tarkin and 2) To add some sort of thrusters.

Someone else pointed out to me that it looked like it was missing something, but they weren't sure what.  As I thought about it, I realized all the speeder designs we have seen in the Star Wars Universe have had some sort of thrusters to propell them.  I need to dig through my kitbash pile, but I have some ideas where to begin on this.  Hopefully I'll have revised pics later this week.