Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87377 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #255 on: March 27, 2006, 10:36 AM »
Anyone find the pickings a little weak over the last month.  Good for the wallet I guess. 

It's been the opposite for me.... I hardly bought anything in February but March has been full of movies I've wanted.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #256 on: March 27, 2006, 11:19 AM »
I bought Starship Troopers 2.

Is that movie any good?  I loved the original, and bought the sequel for a few bucks, but I've yet to watch it.  In fact I've only seen about half of my DVD collection which is quite sad.

Short answer: It's horrible.

I picked it up for about $5, I think, because I loved the first movie, too. The first thing you'll notice is this LAME title scrawl, ripped off of Star Wars... The second thing you'll notice is that the video is grainy and ******, worse than a hand-held camera... this movie obviously didn't have the graphics budget of the first... I almost expected to see a Bug hand-puppet, in some of the shots. The entire movie, even the few outside shots, is all very clausterphobic. It's obvious that the B actors are all working on a very, very small set... The lighting is god awful, the script is shoddy. The storyline is 'aight'...

The only nice thing I can say is that there's a 'decent' pair of boobs, which, while making the movie that much more lame, at least gives you something to look at. *Sort of joking*

You'll enjoy it more if I tell you it's that its the absolute worst movie I've ever seen. Expect the absolute WORST... Maybe it won't be as bad as you expect it, then.

Oh... Don't bother turning the brightness up - you'll only see better just how awful the graphics are.

All of that said - I actually laughed through most of the movie, so it was worth my $5.

Edit:

Oh, and the Commentary is pretty funny... The guys spend most of their time trashing their own work.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 11:21 AM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 27, 2006, 11:54 AM »
Brad, you summed it up perfectly.  I got suckered into buying this crapfest.  Fortueneately it was in the $5 bin.  It is pretty funny how bad it actually is.  I will admit that it was a trainwreck for me and I couldnt look away.  I kept on thinking it would not get any worse but it did. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 27, 2006, 12:05 PM »
I bought Starship Troopers 2.

Is that movie any good?  I loved the original, and bought the sequel for a few bucks, but I've yet to watch it.  In fact I've only seen about half of my DVD collection which is quite sad.

Short answer: It's horrible.

I picked it up for about $5, I think, because I loved the first movie, too. The first thing you'll notice is this LAME title scrawl, ripped off of Star Wars... The second thing you'll notice is that the video is grainy and ******, worse than a hand-held camera... this movie obviously didn't have the graphics budget of the first... I almost expected to see a Bug hand-puppet, in some of the shots. The entire movie, even the few outside shots, is all very clausterphobic. It's obvious that the B actors are all working on a very, very small set... The lighting is god awful, the script is shoddy. The storyline is 'aight'...

The only nice thing I can say is that there's a 'decent' pair of boobs, which, while making the movie that much more lame, at least gives you something to look at. *Sort of joking*

You'll enjoy it more if I tell you it's that its the absolute worst movie I've ever seen. Expect the absolute WORST... Maybe it won't be as bad as you expect it, then.

Oh... Don't bother turning the brightness up - you'll only see better just how awful the graphics are.

All of that said - I actually laughed through most of the movie, so it was worth my $5.

Edit:

Oh, and the Commentary is pretty funny... The guys spend most of their time trashing their own work.

Makes me feel better that I haven't watched it.  I love "stupid" movies that they make funny kinda like the original SST which I believe was produced by the Robocop crew.

Hmm.  Boobs the only thing to look forward to in SST2?  Guess it's worth the $3 I spent to see that even though the movie presumably sucks ass.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #259 on: March 27, 2006, 02:26 PM »
I said her boobs were decent - but its up to you if her rack is "I'm glad I gave Wal-Mart my $3 dollars" decent or just "This is the best lit scene in the entire ******* movie" decent.

I think the Director(s) of the film were saying in the DVD Commentary that they only had the partial nude scene just to bump up their numbers... I guess someone told them that people would be more inclined to watch their ****** movie if they had some exposed breasts on screen.

Come to think of it... the gal's boobs look just as fake as the rest of the props in the movie.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2006, 02:43 PM »
I thought that "Stay" was horribly ambitious and made little to no sense in the end. Passing on "King Kong" as well. Just not a movie I'd ever want to watch again.

Decent week for me, personally;

POTA 6 Disc Set
Wonder Showzen Season 1
Robot Chicken Season 1
Masters of Horror: John Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 02:44 PM by Cory H. »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2006, 02:56 PM »
and made little to no sense in the end.

How so?

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2006, 03:03 PM »
The "Donnie Darko" complex, although, atleast there was an explanation as to how Jake Gyllenhall saw the future. A time rift. Ewan McGregor's character just seemed to "be there".
Not something I'd want to watch again, even to try and understand.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 03:04 PM by Cory H. »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2006, 03:11 PM »
SPOILER WARNING....

Wasn't the idea that everything we saw was what his scrambled brain saw while he was dying?  One part life-flashing-before-one's-eyes and one part dying brain trying to make sense of one's surroundings?

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2006, 09:24 PM »
Wasn't that Jacob's Ladder?
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 27, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Wasn't that Jacob's Ladder?

Yeah but minus the war in Nam.

SilverZ

« Reply #266 on: March 28, 2006, 12:32 AM »
About freakin' time:

Title: Adventures of Brisco County, Jr
Starring: Bruce Campbell
Released: 18th July 2006
SRP: $99.98

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has announced the complete series of Adventures of Brisco County, Jr which stars Bruce Campbell. Each of the 26 episodes (and pilot) will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with English 2.0 Stereo Surround tracks. According to our good friends at TVShowsOnDVD.com, extras will include a pilot episode commentary with star Bruce Campbell and show creator Carlton Cuse, an interactive menu of signature references from the series narrated by Bruce Campbell, A Brisco County Writer's Room featurette, a History of Brisco Country, Jr. documentary, A Reading From The Book of Bruce featurette, and a Tools of the Trade interactive gadgets gallery hosted by Campbell. Artwork is attached

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 28, 2006, 01:00 AM »
Adventures of Brisco County, Jr! Holy lick! I have got to get that set, that show rocked!  8)

That name mean anything to you?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 28, 2006, 01:03 AM »
I need that box set.

Any word of a Jack of All Trades DVD set?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 28, 2006, 09:41 AM »
About freakin' time:

Title: Adventures of Brisco County, Jr
Starring: Bruce Campbell
Released: 18th July 2006
SRP: $99.98

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has announced the complete series of Adventures of Brisco County, Jr which stars Bruce Campbell. Each of the 26 episodes (and pilot) will be presented in 1.33:1 full frame, along with English 2.0 Stereo Surround tracks. According to our good friends at TVShowsOnDVD.com, extras will include a pilot episode commentary with star Bruce Campbell and show creator Carlton Cuse, an interactive menu of signature references from the series narrated by Bruce Campbell, A Brisco County Writer's Room featurette, a History of Brisco Country, Jr. documentary, A Reading From The Book of Bruce featurette, and a Tools of the Trade interactive gadgets gallery hosted by Campbell. Artwork is attached

Cool! I may pick that up as well. Great show.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."