Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87371 times)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2006, 05:21 PM »
im not sold yet that blu ray or hd dvd will take off quickly if even at all.  i haven't seen it yet, but it doesn't have that "so much freakin' better" feel that dvd did over vhs.   

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2006, 05:26 PM »
Me and about 80% of the DVD watching world don't even have the technology necessary to evern enjoy Blu-ray or HD-DVD(who's logo is hideous, BTW), so I'm just fine with good "old" DVD.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2006, 07:23 PM »
speaking of that hideous logo..

does anyone else get the impression that Blu-Ray will do better, just because the packaging and presentation is more pleasing to the eye?

And I plan on not getting any of this HD nonsense. I sticking with my regular DVD's and waiting it out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 07:26 PM by Dimetrodon »

SilverZ

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2006, 07:31 PM »
im not sold yet that blu ray or hd dvd will take off quickly if even at all.  i haven't seen it yet, but it doesn't have that "so much freakin' better" feel that dvd did over vhs.   

Totally agree. I think there's enormous potential for whichever format wins to still remain a niche product. I’m happy with what BD is going to do to meet my needs, however. I’m excited.

The next “format” that will motivate people to ditch DVD is probably HD downloadable content in some form or another. Or so I’m hoping. :)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2006, 07:36 PM »
Just came across the following, which I thought was pretty interesting:

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/

It's a comparison of the HD and DVD transfers of Fellowship.  Not quite the same as seeing it in real-life, in motion, on a large screen, but you can still see the improved clarity and color of the HD transfer.

I'm looking forward to all the new stuff.  Not looking forward to rebuying everything, but I'm all for getting the best presentation possible.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2006, 09:19 AM »
DVD's look freaking great.

Is the difference in quality that big? Certainly it's not as big as the jump from VHS to DVD.

Have you seen a regular DVD on an HD monitor?  They look like ****.

I'm pretty picky in regards to image quality and that's why I haven't upgraded to an HDTV - my current DVD's look horrible on HD TV's....

I'll upgrade when Blu-Ray becomes mainstream - but only select more commonly viewed movies.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2006, 11:10 AM »
Just came across the following, which I thought was pretty interesting:

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/

Pretty poor examples, IMO. 3/4th's of the comparisons are too dark to notice any real difference.

does anyone else get the impression that Blu-Ray will do better, just because the packaging and presentation is more pleasing to the eye?

Aesthetically, no. It sticks out like a sore thumb, those blue cases. I hate slimcases too because the titles on the spines  are virtually impossible to read any furthur than one foot away.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 11:13 AM by Cory H. »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2006, 11:41 AM »
Unfortunately I see BIG differences in those images.  It probably helps that I stare at stfuff like that all day long and notice what might be smaller differences to some people.  The level of detail is significantly higher in those HD images.  You can see it very well in trees and rocks and anything like that.  As I expected, seeing the two together makes me think the regular DVD images look pretty poor in comparisson.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Pretty poor examples, IMO. 3/4th's of the comparisons are too dark to notice any real difference.

I wasn't too impressed either, initially, until I hit the Sauroman (sp) pic, and saw how the detailing on his lower robes really popped in the HD transfer.  Then I went back and looked at each of them more carefully, and started seeing more differences.  Gandalf's cart, Aragorn's whiskers, the detailing in the faces and hair of the Hobbits at the party, the details of the building in Rivendell, the leaves in several of the shots, etc.  Most of it's pretty subtle, but yeah, there's a big difference.  And keep in mind that it's really being compromised a bit in order to be displayed on a computer monitor.  If you were to see them together, in an A/B comparison on a large TV, you'd see a bigger difference than you did here. 

Aesthetically, no. It sticks out like a sore thumb, those blue cases. I hate slimcases too because the titles on the spines  are virtually impossible to read any furthur than one foot away.

Blu-Ray will probably do better, but it's not gonna have anything to do with the aesthetics of the packaging.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 01:29 PM by Bill Cosby »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2006, 01:33 PM »
P.S. If I spent a good majority of my money and time on the current DVD format for my cinema addiction, I'd probably be a little reluctant to admit that there was a big difference between HD and DVD, too. . .

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2006, 01:43 PM »
I just did.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2006, 01:46 PM »
Well, yeah.  I thought you had your cinema addiction under control, though, for the most part, with the intervention back in '03 and the 12-step programs and whatnot.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2006, 01:55 PM »
Relapse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2006, 02:10 PM »
It's VERY difficult to demonstrate the difference between regular DVD video and Blu-Ray / HD DVD video via posted images on the internet.

So much detail and clarity is lost - you have to see it in person to truly appreciate the difference.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2006, 02:18 PM »
Relapse.

Fell off the wagon, did you?  Well, I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope you get yourself back together someday.

All my best,

Coz