Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 86996 times)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #555 on: November 6, 2006, 06:20 PM »
the bond films are just as bad as star wars for trying to make you buy them over and over.   i've already got all the connery and brosnan films and i have the moore films that i like on dvd.  and... i have them all on vhs (several still not opened).  i am pretty much dead set on not spending any more money on the bond franchise unless they actually find some significant  extra footage or something to add to the films.  extra commentaries and documentaries won't be enough to get me to re-rebuy the films again.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 7, 2006, 01:12 PM »
I bit the bullet on the Bond sets.  Ive never updated my 20 year old videotapes.  Still disappoints me that they never release these box sets in their theatrical order.  What kind of deal is everyone finding on these?  They were $55 each at CC but when you purchased both you received an additional $15 off.  So $95 for 10 movies is not too bad.  Probably the biggest rip off is the Soprano's box sets.  Even on sale at $60 is pricey for 4 discs IMO.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 7, 2006, 01:21 PM »
That's a good deal.  The cheapest online deal is $58 shipped per set.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 8, 2006, 10:27 PM »
I bit the bullet today too... I figured at 99$ for the pair it was a good deal.   It's going to be a real nice set once volumes 3 and 4 come out, and I figured if I didn't spread it out there was no way I'd buy all four at once in December.

I also picked up Cars this week.

Next week is a busy week for me, but I'm probably pasing on Old Boy because my impression is that it's the same cut as the one I have:

« Last Edit: November 8, 2006, 10:28 PM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 8, 2006, 11:27 PM »
Just saw the Bond DVD boxes up here today.  $69.88 plus 13% tax :o  Damn. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 9, 2006, 09:41 AM »
Anthony- DVDplanet is better and based here in SoCal.

Do they ship for free and do they have new stuff cheep as well?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 9, 2006, 11:36 AM »
Now that I bought the new SW DVD's a few weeks ago, can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't trade in the boxed set that I got in 2004 (or was it 2005?)...

My impression is that the new 2-Disc sets are the same basic thing, plus the original version on the other disc.

Am I mistaken?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #562 on: November 9, 2006, 12:05 PM »
Now that I bought the new SW DVD's a few weeks ago, can anyone give me a reason why I shouldn't trade in the boxed set that I got in 2004 (or was it 2005?)...

My impression is that the new 2-Disc sets are the same basic thing, plus the original version on the other disc.

Am I mistaken?

What about the bonus disc?  That's got some good stuff on it, and is exclusive to the 2004 set as far as I know.

Besides that, the 2006 SE discs are identical to the 2004 SE discs (again, as far as I know).
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 9, 2006, 02:49 PM »
Yeah - the Bonus disc was the only thing I came up with as a reason.... I could get probably close to twenty bucks in trade, or I can hang onto that bonus disc.

I have way too many DVD's as it is, I'm leaning towards not keeping duplicates of stuff.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 9, 2006, 07:30 PM »
Deep Discount DVD is having their 20% off sale right now - the coupon code is SUPERSALE

By the way, the pair of James Bond sets comes out to $87 shipped if you use the code.

Which is $20.00 less than I paid yesterday.  I think I might put an order in and return these ones.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #565 on: November 9, 2006, 07:40 PM »
Yeah - the Bonus disc was the only thing I came up with as a reason.... I could get probably close to twenty bucks in trade, or I can hang onto that bonus disc.

I have way too many DVD's as it is, I'm leaning towards not keeping duplicates of stuff.

I won't don't have the 2006 discs, but if I did, I'd ditch the 2004 set in a heartbeat, keeping only the the bonus disc.  Duplicate discs and horrible packaging, all the way around, in that 2004 set.

Then I'd go update everybody on my progress on Resident Evil 4.

That's what I'd do.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 9, 2006, 09:09 PM »
I see.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 15, 2006, 10:34 PM »
Hello. I have a few quick questions. Does anyone know when Snakes on a Plane is due out on DVD? Also, is the new King Kong DVD any good? I'm considering picking it up, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 15, 2006, 10:48 PM »
I don't know about SOAP, but the new King Kong is 15 minutes longer, with 38 extra minutes of deleted scenes.  I haven't watched it yet, but that's enough to have made me wait for this release.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 15, 2006, 11:20 PM »
Anthony- DVDplanet is better and based here in SoCal.

Do they ship for free and do they have new stuff cheep as well?

No frees hipping but on certain new titles they do have them for cheap.
I remember my dream now.