Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87351 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2006, 02:06 AM »
I think the ape head looks crappy, so I guess I'll go with the Legacy, as well...

:-\

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2006, 01:45 PM »
I'm curious about this new POTA box set (the one that's not $125).

The details on the net are thin and it sounds like (from the generic descriptions) that it is the same as the previous box set (which can be found quite cheap) -

Any ideas?

Are there some members who own the previous box set?  The movies are widescreen, right?

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2006, 02:20 PM »
In a nutshell, it's all the original POTA movies, now in Anamorphic Widescreen, including the same POTA release as the 2 Disk Ann. edition.

BTW, anyone else get in on Best Buy's "Flightplan" pricing error between yesterday and this morning? The weekly ad had it for $7.99 online, and was yanked this morning.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 02:21 PM by Cory H. »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2006, 03:25 PM »
I saw that movie in the theaters and don't think I'd buy it, even for 7.99.  I've already spent too much on it.   ;D

By the way, Cory...LONG time no see!
Got Clones?

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2006, 03:27 PM »
In a nutshell, it's all the original POTA movies, now in Anamorphic Widescreen, including the same POTA release as the 2 Disk Ann. edition.

BTW, anyone else get in on Best Buy's "Flightplan" pricing error between yesterday and this morning? The weekly ad had it for $7.99 online, and was yanked this morning.

Best Buy should pay YOU 7.99 to buy that movie.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2006, 11:27 PM »
the new planet of the apes box set has the 2001 movie, which means its evil. i'll stick to the other one.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2006, 01:38 AM »
Did you read any of that HTF thread I linked?

The E.T. DVDs were a major fiasco at the time.  Well, I should clarify that--the discs themselves turned out fine for the most part (with the exception of the more-expensive box set 1982 version not getting the DTS track), but the end product differed wildy from what was originally announced, and even from what was listed on the packaging. 

They were announced in mid-2002 with the news that the 2-disc set would only contain the 2002 SE cut, and that the only way to get the 1982 cut was to buy the big-ass box set, which of course pissed a lot of people off.  Then, less than two weeks before the release date, people started getting early copies of the 2-disc set, and found out that it actually had both cuts.  It's believed that Spielberg decided at the last moment to include both versions on the 2-disc set, which led to a lot of confusion, and the packaging being incorrect.  And with reviewers being sent messed up copies (if they were even sent review copies at all), which led to even more confusion, you basically had people who were having to put the discs in their players before they knew what all was on them.

So yeah, it was a big mess.  (Hey, it was a Spielberg-related Universal release--they had to **** up something, didn't they?)

I remember that. I was mortified but not surprised that the original film would only be in the gift set. I'll never forget my relief and delight at finding that Speilberg stepped up and did what Lucas hasn't had the decency to do and respect movie audiences, fans, etc by putting the original in with the new Turd Edition at mass market retail.

You E.T. experts: I heard the old laser disc had an alternate ending... True?

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2006, 01:46 AM »
the new planet of the apes box set has the 2001 movie, which means its evil. i'll stick to the other one.

Just the supersized collection. The "Legacy" set, priced at $35 is strictly for the old films, and again, the major selling point is the Anamorphic transfers on what were otherwise, more or less, television broadcast quality versions of the sequels, taffy pulled to death.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2006, 09:52 AM »

Just the supersized collection. The "Legacy" set, priced at $35 is strictly for the old films, and again, the major selling point is the Anamorphic transfers on what were otherwise, more or less, television broadcast quality versions of the sequels, taffy pulled to death.

oh.

well damn, i'll see what i can do.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2006, 07:46 AM »
Oh, hell yeah:

(Sorry, Mikey.)

The '86 Mets were what got me into baseball.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2006, 08:16 AM »
You E.T. experts: I heard the old laser disc had an alternate ending... True?

According to the IMDB, true:

The deluxe laserdisc version included an alternate ending. After the ship has taken off, the kids are shown playing Dungeons and Dragons once more, but this time Elliott is in charge. The camera starts above them, makes a long rise up to the ceiling, and then out through the skylight. On the roof is the device they made to "phone home," calling out once more into space.

The 1996 Signature Edition laserdisc set is supposed to have been one of the nicer sets released in that format.  Haven't seen it, myself, but I'd like to.  The documentary about twice as long as the edited version from the DVD Gift Set version, and I think there were a few other extras that didn't get ported over, either.

More on the laserdisc.

And I want to say that there was some mention of the alternate ending on the 2002 DVDs, but it's been so long since I've watched any of those extras that I don't remember if the footage actually made it onto the discs, or not.  However, there is a mention of it in the book that's included in the Gift Set:

Ending

There was a final scene we shot were Elliott and the boys are playing Dungeons and Dragons again, echoing the beginning.  However, now Elliott is the ringmaster rather than the annoying little brother.  He's grown.  He has confidence.  He's the master of his own destiny.

The camera rises, and you see that the communicator is on the roof.  You can only assume that one day they'll be in touch again.  It was a nice ending, but we didn't use it. 

Henry was so emotional in that final scene that it was hard to go anywhere else.  Ultimately, it didn't really matter whether they were going to see each other again.  That was not the point anymore.

--Melissa Mathison (writer)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2006, 08:49 AM »
Oh, hell yeah:

(Sorry, Mikey.)

The '86 Mets were what got me into baseball.

That's ok, this is better

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2006, 09:32 AM »
I like the small text in the bottom right corner:

ALL SEVEN COMPLETE ALCS GAMES
VS. THE NEW YORK YANKEES; PLUS
ALL FOUR FULL WORLD SERIES GAMES
VS. THE ST. LOUIS CARDINALS

As if the World Series games were some sort of bonus footage.  If it's the "2004 World Series Collector's Edition," shouldn't it read "all four full World Series games; plus all seven complete ALCS games?" 

Makes me wonder what was more important to RedSox fans:  Beating the Yanks, or winning the Series.

(But of course, the Series was a major let-down after that ALCS, though.  The only exciting thing about the Series was that the Sox actually won it--the games themselves were snoozers, IIRC. . .)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2006, 09:44 AM »

Makes me wonder what was more important to RedSox fans:  Beating the Yanks, or winning the Series.

(But of course, the Series was a major let-down after that ALCS, though.  The only exciting thing about the Series was that the Sox actually won it--the games themselves were snoozers, IIRC. . .)

Winning it was more important.  Beating the Yankees (and the way they did it) was just icing on the cake.

The first WS game was great - Sox take an early lead, the Cards tie it up in the middle innings and then the Sox win it with a late inning homerun.  but after what went down in the ALCS, I can see the WS games as not being as exciting to the casual fan with no affinity to either team (although they were for me for obvious reasons)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2006, 06:29 PM »
*wishing he had a picture of the upcoming "Houston Astros Championship Run" DVD*