Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87318 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2006, 10:45 AM »
28 Days Later - Foreign sure, but indie?  With a budget of 8 million and Fox Search Light as a US distributor, maybe.  But it picked up steam and played in 1400 theaters and grossed over 45 million domestic.  And it's still a Danny Boyle film and he did it for less money on purpose and the DVD is still available on the $10.00 rack right infront of the registers at Target and has sold copies out the ass for the better part of 2 years.  It started off that way, but sure didn't end up that way.

Almost Famous -  With a 60 million dollar production budget, directed by a big name director, and released in over 2,200 theaters... an indie film?  Not even close.

American History X - It played in fewer theaters (500) so maybe, but with a production budget around 20 million dollars and a distribution deal with New Line, it's hard to say that it was really an indie film.

A Bronx Tale - Made for Television but somehow managed to find its way into 1,100 theaters and starred Robert Dinero

Indie films are things that have hardly any studio backing and small budgets.  Hardly any of these fit the bill to a tee.  So for the sake of argument I'll give you 28 Days later and A Bronx Tale, I'd lean no on American History X.  Almost Famous is a definite no.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 10:47 AM by Rob »

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2006, 06:40 PM »
Every major studio has an independent distributor, though. FOX Searchlight, Warner Independent, Focus, Paramount Classics, etc. "Everything Is Illuminated" was distributed by WI, but that doesn't mean that it's not an independent film, and I know that's not what you're getting at.

(I got "Gotti" and "A Bronx Tale" confused. They're both HBO Movies, the latter was MFT)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2006, 07:24 PM »
Indie films are things that have hardly any studio backing and small budgets.  Hardly any of these fit the bill to a tee

Clerks was an Indie movie, yes?
What about the rest of Kevin Smith's movies.  They're just about my favorite, so I guess I'd love to say I'm an indie movie guy.   ;D

Do they pass the criteria?
Got Clones?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2006, 08:58 PM »
Kevin Smith probably fits the bill up until Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back - but I'd have to look into the production to give an informed opinion on it.  Chasing Amy, Clerks, Mallrats are definitely on that side of the somewhat meaningless label...

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2006, 12:18 AM »
Mallrats was a studio film...

There are very few true "indies" anymore.  Clerks was definitely one, Blair Witch too, along with movies like Open Water, Swingers, Pi, etc. 

Yes, many studios do have "indie" divisions like Fox Searchlight or Warner Independant -- the movies they acquire are indies, while the movies they produce themselves are not. 

At least, in my opinion.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2006, 09:13 AM »
How do you classify docs like March of the Penguins or Supersize Me?

They have small budgets and limited advertising but end up "mainstream" hits.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2006, 10:30 AM »
Documentary is a whole other world... they almost never have serious money thrown into them and one that gets seens much as March of the Penguins or F911 is relatively rare.  So who knows...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2006, 11:08 AM »
I bought Starship Troopers 2.

2Fast2Furious3 CHINA DRIFTIN! is going to be an awesome movie. Is it an indie?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2006, 03:39 PM »
I'll be passing on the Giant expensive Monkey-head POTA set and I'm holding out for Peter Jackson's King Kong Director's Cut later on.

So for this Tuesday that leaves:

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2006, 03:57 PM »
I suppose an expanded edition of King Kong will be out sometime before Christmas, right? I might just hold off for that, even though I thought the theatrical version was too long as it was.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #250 on: March 26, 2006, 11:01 PM »
Is it kosher to post non-new-release acquisitions here?

The other day I hit my local Target in search of the Coruscant TSC wave. No such luck, of course. Not wanting to waste the trip and getting pretty frustrated with TSC at this point, I hit the DVD section and picked up two films I'd had on my mental "Want List" for a while. Frankly, I think that in the long run I will get more enjoyment from this purchase than if I had found the Coru figs. ::)

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 11:33 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #251 on: March 26, 2006, 11:30 PM »
Incidentally, it appears the Director's Cut of Kingdom of Heaven will be hitting this May--Clicky link. I saw it in theaters but still haven't gotten the original DVD yet (it's on my Want List), so I'll probably just wait for this edition.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 27, 2006, 07:50 AM »
Anyone find the pickings a little weak over the last month.  Good for the wallet I guess. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2006, 08:33 AM »
I bought Starship Troopers 2.

Is that movie any good?  I loved the original, and bought the sequel for a few bucks, but I've yet to watch it.  In fact I've only seen about half of my DVD collection which is quite sad.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2006, 10:11 AM »

It's clear from earlier posts that Cory isn't into non-mainstreen Cinema.
No offense, but you're totally clueless, bro. I actually have a strong dislike for most mainstream movies. Just because I'm opinionated, and don't suck up to everyone's favorite director's latest attempt doesn't mean I condemn indies. 

No offense taken at all. I was only going by a few posts back, not your entire history. That's what happens when you assume. :P However, you do have to expect a little resistance when you're going against the grain. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."