Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 86987 times)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #285 on: April 3, 2006, 09:26 AM »
Yeah, it's loud and scary and full of monsters - I probably wouldn't show it to a toddler.

Yeah, but you're no DP.

"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 3, 2006, 09:37 AM »
An extended version of "King Kong" is virtually impossible coming from Peter Jackson.

How do you quallify this? His only other reference is the LOTR extended editions which I thought were far superior to the theatrical cuts.

I mean, 50% of the movie was filler to begin with, and I highly doubt he cut out any background character development, which it was sorely lacking, muchless anything intrigal to the storyline.

From what I understand, character develpment (Jimmy/Hays and the Captain) is what was cut out of the theatrical release and is what is being incerted. For example, one of the scenes being added is Jimmy and the Captain in NYC.

Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 3, 2006, 11:34 AM »
Peter Jackson has made Director's Cuts of all his movies, sans "Meet the Feebles". All of which really didn't do much for the movies, except "Heavenly Creatures", which got a little racier, and "Braindead/Dead Alive", and those were distributor cuts. "The Frighteners" is up in the air.

Not only were characters like Jimmy not in the original, even more pointless being added, their time is cut in favor of over the top fight scenes and ice skating? That's not a good sign. I still think this was a summer blockbuster that was released 6 months too late, and not this labour of love PJ touts that it is. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2006, 11:36 AM by Cory H. »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 3, 2006, 11:43 AM »
Peter Jackson has made Director's Cuts of all his movies, sans "Meet the Feebles". All of which really didn't do much for the movies, except "Heavenly Creatures", which got a little racier, and "Braindead/Dead Alive", and those were distributor cuts. "The Frighteners" is up in the air.

Had no idea that PJ directed The Frightners - not that I paid attention to anyway.  Twas an oddball movie, but I always liked it for some reason.  Didn't they just release a SE of the movie a few months back?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 3, 2006, 12:02 PM »

Not only were characters like Jimmy not in the original, even more pointless being added, their time is cut in favor of over the top fight scenes and ice skating? That's not a good sign. I still think this was a summer blockbuster that was released 6 months too late, and not this labour of love PJ touts that it is. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Thanks, I actually wasn't aware of the other directors cuts. (Haven't seen Meet the Feebles yet.  :-[ )

As for the EE, I'll reserve judgement for when I actually see it. There are only three film makers that I have totally written of as incapable of making decent films anymore, Micheal Bay, Renny Harlin, and George Lucas. As I said, I thought the LOTR EE's were outstanding. When compairing the story and character flaws of KK to theatrical cuts of LOTR, I see a pattern of elaborate storytelling condensed to a more blockbuster friendly audience. I hope the EE KK will follow suit of fleshing important subplots. If it doesn't, I'll say so.  ;)

I really like the Jimmy scenes and the ice skating scenes. They worked for me. I felt the ice skating scene was very important in developing the KK character. But you're not the first one to dislike those elements. Side note, kind of amussing, I was chating with a guy who immediately disregarded the ice skating sequence based on the physics of ice thickness and weight alone.  ;D I agree that the action sequnces were abit over the top, but they had a very fun spirit to them. Much better than any Michael Bay sequence. ;)

« Last Edit: April 3, 2006, 12:13 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 3, 2006, 12:48 PM »
In King Kong Jackson was largely showing off what he could get done from an effects standpoint - from what I understand, there is even MORE of that that will be included in the extended cut.  And for those of you who aren't interested, there are two out-now choices to choose from.

Ridley Scott and Peter Jackson are the two guys you can almost always count on to deliever an extended edition down the road.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 3, 2006, 01:22 PM »
I mean, 50% of the movie was filler to begin with,

While I'm no movie buff, I thought the movie was put together quite nicely - I know a lot of people thought the first hour or so was filler but I thought the character development was important and necessary.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 3, 2006, 06:50 PM »
I mean, 50% of the movie was filler to begin with,

While I'm no movie buff, I thought the movie was put together quite nicely - I know a lot of people thought the first hour or so was filler but I thought the character development was important and necessary.

You don't have to be a movie buff. It either works or it doesn't.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 5, 2006, 03:08 PM »
I picked up Narnia today at Target:

it rang up there for $24.99 and our local Wal-Mart had a price of close to $29.  I wanted the extras in the case of this movie, and probably most that I'll buy, but these DVD prices are really starting to climb up there.  I remember being able to get most movies the week they were released for $15 (or less) - with all the bonus discs/features.  That doesn't happen nearly as much anymore.  Also, forgot to mention it earlier, but I also picked up Justice League - Season 1 a couple of weeks back.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 5, 2006, 05:54 PM »
Anyone know when Deep Discount DVD is due for their next 20% off sale?

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 6, 2006, 10:08 AM »
June, IIRC. Right now's the big Criterion blowout. I got "Naked Lunch", "Carnival of Souls", and "Videodrome" for about $63/shipped. I may go back for DePalma's "Sisters" and the W.C. Fields shorts disc. Sale is on through 4/10.

GameStop is also running a B2G1F sale. Seems like they have one every two weeks now, and have decided to include games in a mix and match strategy, because their DVD selection is dwindling. I did, however, get ST:TNG Season 1, Transformers Season 1, and He-Man Season 1 Part 1 for $65 w/ my card. Reselling Transformers, though.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2006, 03:05 PM by Cory H. »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 6, 2006, 11:54 PM »
I picked up the Deluxe edition of Narnia as well. Again, no sale. :(

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 7, 2006, 02:06 AM »
June, IIRC. Right now's the big Criterion blowout. I got "Naked Lunch", "Carnival of Souls", and "Videodrome" for about $63/shipped. I may go back for DePalma's "Sisters" and the W.C. Fields shorts disc. Sale is on through 4/10.

Thanks.

They've also got about 400 titles for $5.99 - with the free shipping that's pretty much the same thing as the $5.50 bin at Wal-Mart.  Today I ordered The Insider, Duplex, and Shanghai Noon for $17.97 shipped - and they had a few solid titles that I already had on there like Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Infernal Affairs, and I'm Not Scared.

Oh, and all those really crappy Hellraiser movies that came out over the last year that are all still like $19.99 at Best Buy were also in there for 6 bucks.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 8, 2006, 06:58 AM »
Great comment about King Kong being a summer movie released six months late.  I liked the film a lot, but it was no where near as good as the LotR films.  The effects with Kong were excellent, and so were the T-Rexes.  The city and the ship... not so much.

I think it was absolutely inevitable that Peter Jackson would get a bit of backlash for this film.  He was behind what will end up being the "Star Wars of a new generation," a hero to geeks everywhere.  Just like Lucas, Spielberg and the Warchowskis before him, he'll get torn to shreds, especially if his next film isn't an out of the park grand slam.

I'm fairly certain there will be an extended cut coming.  I just hope PJ remembers the kindness he paid us with the LotR films and doesn't repeat the extras from one set to another, giving us a reaon to own both.

I'm waiting for DDD to get that 2-disc Narnia unless I see some other smoking deal.  This two versions nonsense is getting out of hand.  With the new HD formats looming, I'm 50% on the fence about saying screw it and just getting the one disc versions.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #299 on: April 8, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Welcome aboard, Jim!

Today's acquisition, from the last day of a $10 sale at Target:

Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)