Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87335 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #390 on: June 7, 2006, 10:56 PM »
The Chronicles of Riddick Franchise Collection
Spawn Directors Cut
The Sweetest Thing
The Toy

Kevin

Kevin, back to the customizing section where you belong.  The community there needs your expert opinions.   ;)

:)

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 8, 2006, 12:50 AM »
Anything in particular on the Criterion D&C that's really interesting, Cory? I might pick this one up.

Excellent transfer, for one. DTS track really pops for the soundtrack, and the extras are fantastic, especially the documentary. I've been told that the Linklater commentary was very informative and fun, as well. People are going nuts over the packaging as well. It has holes in the cardboard, with pictures on the digipak sleeve, then when you remove the digipak sleeve, there's pictures printed on the back/inside of the case. It also includes a VERY cool booklet (I read it all) as well as the original movie poster (art only).

Great package over all, and probably the last of the classic Criterion releases with the regular "Criterion Collection" bar at the top. After "Dazed and Confused", "Equinox", "Yi-Yi", and "Koko" I believe they're going with the new look they debuted.

I did fold and buy "Running Scared". I saw the first 8 minutes online, uncut and it sold me. I ended up renting it before it was released and really enjoyed it. Just so artsy and different, like a lighter, more coherent Tony Scott movie. I came to learn the DTS track on it is insane, especially during the apartment raid with Chazz Palmenteri. Each gun sounded like it had its own channel.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2006, 12:51 AM by Cory H. »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 8, 2006, 12:54 AM »
Just so artsy and different, like a lighter, more coherent Tony Scott movie.

Explain your veiw of "artsy", and please remember about spoilers. I haven't seen the movie yet.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 8, 2006, 02:23 AM »
Just so artsy and different, like a lighter, more coherent Tony Scott movie.

Explain your veiw of "artsy", and please remember about spoilers. I haven't seen the movie yet.

Kevin

Hmm. Without spoiling, I can say there is a lot of visual allegory, namely when Oleg (Cameron Bright) is on screen, because it's being told through his eyes. People don't always appear, visually, as they would to him normally. Another instance is just the cinematography itself. Things are slowly unveiled piece by piece in some scenes and its incredibly effective and haunting, while the situations get worse. The opening sequence alone has some unique effects as well, involving a "choose your own destiny" type scene where one situation begins to unfold, there's a quick rewind, which leads to another outcome, and goes from there. A little "Fight Club" meets "The Matrix" camerawork that still maintains its own identity.

Trust me, it has to be seen to be appreciated.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 8, 2006, 06:16 PM »
i pulled the trigger on the last 4 seasons of the xfiles today.   amazon has them all for $25 so i couldn't resist.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 8, 2006, 06:24 PM »
Thanks for the heads up - my girlfriend and I are watching them all from the pilot right now, and we've only bought up through 4 so far.  And we were paying $36.50 each from Deep Discount DVD.  And I can return 3 and 4 still - so you may have just saved me around $80.00 depending on how many I order tonight.   8)
« Last Edit: June 8, 2006, 06:54 PM by Rob »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #396 on: June 8, 2006, 10:45 PM »
Re: Criterion Dazed

People are going nuts over the packaging as well. It has holes in the cardboard, with pictures on the digipak sleeve, then when you remove the digipak sleeve, there's pictures printed on the back/inside of the case. It also includes a VERY cool booklet (I read it all) as well as the original movie poster (art only).

Checked out a friend's copy today--just the packaging, not the flick--and can already say that it's probably the nicest DVD packaging I've ever seen.

So glad I bought that Flashback edition.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 9, 2006, 12:34 AM »
Linklater was quoted as having said that the "Flashback Edition" was in no way the release he ever intended. Guess that's why the Criterion edition came with a big ass red sticker that read DIRECTOR APPROVED: RICHARD LINKLATER. I want to see "Slacker" now, and of course, "A Scanner Darkly". He's got his mitts in all the genres, so it seems.

Speaking of DeepDiscount, the 20% off sale is on as we speak. Unfortunately, nothing for me. I just dropped about $1,000 on HT stuff in the past month, as well as $80 on new releases this week.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2006, 01:00 AM by Cory H. »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 9, 2006, 01:03 AM »
Do you happen to know when the 20% sale ends? 

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 9, 2006, 01:21 AM »
Ends on 6/17.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 9, 2006, 01:35 AM »
Perfect.  Thanks.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 9, 2006, 07:52 AM »
Is there a code (or something similar) that needs to be used to get the 20% discount at the site?

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 9, 2006, 10:01 AM »
Try these:

USATODAY
NYTIMES
SUPERSALE
DVDPRICESEARCH
SUMMERSALE
YAHOO
ESPN
DVDTALK

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 9, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Thanks, Cory.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 9, 2006, 09:46 PM »
I'm gonna pick up CSI Season 4 at the very least w/ the discount next week.  Might pick up both seasons of Rescue Me as well.