Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87331 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #405 on: June 10, 2006, 12:28 AM »
Picked up the Jurassic Park Franchise Collection today.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 10, 2006, 03:51 PM »
Picked up some more titles for 4.88 at Walmart:

The Client
Three Amigos
Long Kiss Goodnight
A Few Good Men
Just Cause
Vegas Vacation

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 10, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Gotta love WM for their cheap DVD's.  I think the last ones I got for $4.88 a week or so ago were Pay it Forward, Last Man Standing, and Boiler Room.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 10, 2006, 09:28 PM »
Gotta love WM for their cheap DVD's.  I think the last ones I got for $4.88 a week or so ago were Pay it Forward, Last Man Standing, and Boiler Room.

What I find strange is that alot of these cheap DVD's later reappear at the 7.50 or 9.99 price in WM. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 14, 2006, 12:43 AM »
Big day today... The first 5 from Best Buy, the next 5 from Deep Discount DVD and the last 3 are next week:

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 14, 2006, 01:40 AM »
I caved on the DeepDiscount sale, finally. Ditched pretty much my entire Adult Swim DVD catalog for some quick cash.

So, today's purchases.

DVD Talk Forums - $58 shipped got me..

Best Buy trip today..

Deep Discount - $40/shipped...

I'm renting "Syriana" and "The Hills Have Eyes" tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 03:52 PM by Jeff »

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 14, 2006, 11:26 AM »

Am I the only one that picked up Neil this week? That was the only release I was interested in, but am definitely looking forward to Syriana next week. Missed that one in the theatres and have been patiently waiting for the DVD.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 14, 2006, 11:36 AM »
Picked up block party and all I can say is that it a huge disappoint for me.  Pretty boring IMO.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 14, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Nothing will top Chapelle's Show...that's too bad that you didn't like it - I've yet to see it.

Looks like a big day for DVD's though - I know there are a lot of titles I'd like to at least rent; Syriana, 16 Blocks and Kiss, Kiss...to name a few.

Rob - what's the skinny on that Equilibrium flick?  Looks like a Matrix knock off!   :D

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 12:04 PM by ruiner »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 14, 2006, 12:04 PM »
The Deep-discount sale is a great deal. I just picked up the entire series of ST: the Next Gen for $251 and got another $20 off for doing a test membership with the Fun Stuff program which I'll be canceling in a month.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 14, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Picked up block party and all I can say is that it a huge disappoint for me.  Pretty boring IMO.

I imagine a bunch of casual Chappelle fans are going to expect a bunch of Dave himself, when in fact it's more or less a concert DVD. From that aspect, it's fantastic. The live sets sounds great, especially Dead Prez and Mos Def. The Unrated version is the only one to feature the complete sets as well. I liked the whole "homecoming" aspect of the doc, too.

"Equilibrium"? I'm not surprised a lot of you are just now hearing about it. I ended up suggesting it to two people this past week in anticipation of Kurt Wimmer's "Ultraviolet", and they both loved it. I watched it myself about a week ago. It wasn't as fun as the first time, but still a great Sci Fi flick. Its biggest mistake was promoting itself as being better than "The Matrix", which is on the actual cover art (not the generic art pictured above), and there are no similarities, really. They made a great flick with an incredibly low budget, right down to using Cadillac STS's, painted solid white, inside and out, and they STILL looked futuristic. In a nutshell, it's about a society who's feelings are outlawed. Yeah, supression with the one lone hero to change it all has been done before, but coupled with the introduction of Gunkata, and Christian Bale in the lead, it's absolutely insane. What a fun movie.

I also liked "16 Blocks". I think I may get it before the weeks out, along with "Green Street Hooligans". Elijah Wood is on a role, and to think he could have stopped after LOTR. A great follow-up to "Everything Is Illuminated". "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" started off great, but I found myself not giving a **** about the needlessly oversexed (and distracting) plot, and boring characters. I liked the noir feel, but it went flat about 1/2 way into it, IMO.

As for Neil Young, he's like Johnny Cash to me. Interesting person, but the music is pretty monotonous. That, and I don't dig musicians that say they write for themselves, then cash in on the war with their album titles, not to mention he's Canadian to begin with.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 01:00 PM by Cory H. »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 14, 2006, 12:58 PM »
"Equilibrium"? I'm not surprised a lot of you are just now hearing about it. I

I saw it three years ago, I just didn't own it until now.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 17, 2006, 04:30 PM »
The DeepDiscount sale is over tonight at Midnight, so I snuck a couple more in. Final tally;

DDANI203001D  LONE WOLF & CUB-SWORD OF VENGEANCE              1   $14.12
DDRYK303029D  WILD ZERO                                       1   $13.97
DDRHI971611D  PANTERA-3 VULGAR VIDEOS FROM HELL               1   $13.30
DDRYK000103D  ERASERHEAD                                      1   $12.93
DDBVD017447D  HEAVENLY CREATURES                              1    $5.08
DDIMA012020D  CHOPPER (SE)                                    1   $14.63
DDMGD907994D  THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER                         1    $7.53

Not too bad. There were a couple I was considering, but even at $16, "Shakes the Clown" will have to wait even longer. It's expensive everywhere I look, and I don't know why.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:49 PM by Cory H. »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 19, 2006, 03:49 PM »
Good call on Wild Zero - is it an all region? 

Does anyone know the deal on the version of the Omen that's being released this week?  What's new about it?  Normally if it's a big upgrade or has lots of deleted scenes or a new cut I'll upgrade, but I've got the boxed set so I'd probably keep my old stripped down version... got to make a decision.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 19, 2006, 05:52 PM »
I think all the Synapse DVD's are Region 1. I've got a few, just never bothered looking. I had my order for the Guinea Pig set cancelled, claiming it was Disco'd. So, I got Lone Wold and Cub: Sword of Vengeance on backorder.

As far as "The Omen" goes, it's basically one deleted scene, a commentary, and something by Wes Craven. They didn't even update the audio, so I'd pass, personally.

Picked up 3 today for $36 total.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:35 PM by Jeff »