Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87369 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #420 on: June 19, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Cool.

Did you Legacy Collection sets come with the Busts?

I bought them when they came out in the box.

I was disappointed though when they didn't do a similar set for the next three - even though I bought them for the same price as the first three.   :-X

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 19, 2006, 06:12 PM »
They may have, but these were broken up. I got all 3 at a pawn shop, of course. That bust set, sealed, is actually worth a lot. They (Universal) blew them out towards the end of the run through DDD for @$50. Now, they're anywhere between $75-$125. The only other one I'd like is The Creature From the Black Lagoon, namely for the first movie and "The Creature Walks Among Us". It stars Rex Reason from "This Island Earth". Not many, if any other, of his movies are on DVD. If I found Invisible Man and Mummy cheap, I'd get them for the sake of completion.

There's also an Abbott and Costello Meet the Universal Monsters set about somewhere. The one where they meet Frankenstein & Dracula is hilarious.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 06:15 PM by Cory H. »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 20, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Coundn't resist picking up Syriana today. It was easily one of my favorate films from last year.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 23, 2006, 12:23 PM »
According to TheGd.com, Lord of the Rings is taking a cue from the Star Wars method of DVDs - re-releasing new sets on August 29th.  Sounds like they will include both the regular and extended editions of the movies, and also include an "all new documentary".  A few more details at the link.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 23, 2006, 12:39 PM »
No worries for me... those deluxe editions from before were so expansive that the odds of them including anything that would make me re-buy are very slim.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 23, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Same here, I thought those were pretty packed DVDs themselves - kind of surprised we're seeing another release.

Edit:  I see now that Lord of the Rings.net has info/pics of these DVDs, so it must be official.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 01:05 PM by Brian »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 23, 2006, 01:13 PM »
Has anyone purchased or seen Nightwatch?  I am looking for some feedback.

On a side note, I watched The Hills Have Eyes (uncut) last night and it was pretty disturbing.  Not sure the differences between this cut and the Theatrical but this was easily one of the most gruesome, violent movies I can ever remember seeing. 

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 23, 2006, 02:32 PM »
I found a good portion of "The Hills Have Eyes" to be in poor taste. Now, I've argued with a lot of my friends who are also Horror movie fanatics like myself, and they more or less justify everything in the movie by saying "it's not real" and that "it's the director doing their job". But I had two huge, huge issues that pretty much ruined the entire experience for me.

SPOILER BELOW...

[spoiler]The raping of the mother, lactating (in the movie) no less, and the graphic rape of the teenage girl.[/spoiler]

The evil of the characters was already well established long before, and those scenes were needlessly extended and included. I felt sick. Literally.

As for "Night Watch", I caught it a few days before it dropped this past Tuesday and loved it. Very original presentation, especially in the special effects and the actual showmanship.  Stylized subtitles were the highlight.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 02:10 PM by Cory H. »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 26, 2006, 05:18 PM »
Picked up Smallville Season 1 through 3 at Wal*Mart today for $29.99 USD each. Passed on 4 only because I own it. I also picked up The Ultimate Collectors Edition of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Dimensions Collector's Series Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and the 2 pack of Hot Shots! and Hot Shots! Part Duex.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 26, 2006, 05:26 PM »
Light week this week for me - near as I can tell Why We Fight is all I'm buying.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 27, 2006, 11:46 AM »
I found a good portion of "The Hills Have Eyes" to be in poor taste. Now, I've argued with a lot of my friends who are also Horror movie fanatics like myself, and they more or less justify everything in the movie by saying "it's not real" and that "it's the director doing their job". But I had two huge, huge issues that pretty much ruined the entire experience for me. [spoiler]The raping of the mother, lactating (in the movie) no less, and the graphic rape of the teenage girl.[/spoiler]

I liked the movie - but you're right about this.  It wasn't a horror movie in the sense that it had scary monsters and murders, it was a horror movie in the sense that it was absolutely brutal in just about every way.

I tell my co-workers not to see it.  It's definitely not for everyone - even the casual horror enthusiast.   

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 28, 2006, 01:35 PM »
Wow, if you guys thought it was gut-wrenching, then it must be pretty bad.

:o

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 28, 2006, 01:44 PM »
Yeah - and I haven't even watched the unrated one yet - which, if you believe Amazon.com, is 7 minutes shorter than the theatrical... so it should be interesting to see what they did.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 01:45 PM by Rob »

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 28, 2006, 08:13 PM »
The Unrated version is 1 minute longer than the Theatrical, actually, and that extra minute focuses on the 2 parts of the movie I disliked the most. Go figure.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 28, 2006, 08:23 PM »
So Amazon is wrong?  They have it as theatrical 108 and unrated as 101 min.