Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 84910 times)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2006, 09:44 PM »
   Are you sure you're not doing aerobics with it like in your avatar. ;) I have never heard of that ever happening, send it back to apple and see what htey can do, If its still on warranty, (I don't remeber how long mine lasts) than hurray. If not It may be cheaper to buy a new one.  :-\

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2006, 10:23 PM »
A friend of mine at work said the same thing happened to his... something caused the little drive motor to just get stuck in the on position, so it spins and spins and runs the battery down almost instantly while overheating.

I got it for Christmas, so it's still inside 1-year.

I'm taking it into the Apple store Saturday...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2006, 10:53 PM »
Rob, let me know how the Customer Service is there. We have an Apple store in Crossgates Mall, and being as I didn't own any Apple products untill now, I never ventured too far in, or dealt with their CS.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2006, 01:41 AM »
Well, the customer service was fine... my story went like this.

I went in, it was 7:33, my appointment once I signed up for the genius-bar was 7:40.

It was 8:10 before they were ready for me - whatever, I understand things like that can get backed up.

I tell the guy what happened... that it was working fine, then it shut off, and when I picked it up it was scalding hot, and that it wouldn't turn on unless it was plugged into the computer, and the minute you did that, it heated right back up, very quickly, regardless of which computer I plugged it into.

He then told me, that he was pretty sure that it was because I hadn't updated the software on it since I loaded it up in February or March.

Smelling a line that they'd tell to some computer-illiterate dolt, I increduously asked him if he was really telling me that my iPod could light itself on fire because I hadn't updated the software, despite it working fine for the last 6 months.

He said, oh yeah, the software regulates the power and the machine might not know what to do with the extra charge from the USB cable and blah blah.

I was confident that he was completely full of ****, but I said okee-dokee.

He took it in the back to do a software-restart (that's what he called it...) saying that he's seen this before and updated software and a reboot would fix it...

Then, predictably, 10 minutes later he came out with a new one telling me that it got too hot too fast to even work with to try his methods and that he was just going to give me a new one.

So, end of story is that they replaced it after a few minutes of B.S'ing with no questions asked.  It's a refurbished one, but it looks like new, and works fine.  The guy insisted that the refurbs are new cases, new hard-drives, and new motors and that the only thing that's ever possibly not new about them is 'sometimes' the LCD's are refurbished.   Given his B.S. before, I don't know if I believe him - but either way, it's the best they were willing to offer me and I didn't have much of a choice otherwise.

I'll probably be going back to pay the $59.99 to extend the warranty for another year given how easily this crap happened (after all the horror stories from my friends too about their broken iPods...).

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2006, 03:40 PM »
I would've called bull**** the second he tried to give me a refurbished iPod.  I could understand if you were out of your warranty or something...but if you're in the original warranty and it breaks...you get a new one or complain until they agree.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2006, 07:34 PM »
I would, but I don't think their policy makes room for that.  I don't know of anyone who's been given one straight out of a new box when going in for a replacement, warranty or not.

If anyone here can tell me definitively that this is not the case, I'll go back in and give em' hell.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2006, 12:18 AM »
You should get the new iPod flea Rob, it's the new rave!  :D

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Well my iPod Mini is 1 year & 2 months old.  And as predicted, the battery began running down real fast last month.  I tried using the iPod Installer, resetting it, updating my iTunes software, and charging with my AC Adaptor.

NO matter, the iPod would charge forever without fully charging.  And when I used it, the iPod would only play for about 1 to 2 hours.  Usually it would just show the "low battery" icon.

So, following info at iLounge.com, I figured the battery was no good anymore.  So, instead of shipping my iPod to Apple for 3-4 weeks and have them replace the battery for $65, I cracked my Ipod open myself.  After following some detailed directions off of iLounge, I was able to remove the lion rechargable battery.  The hard part was actually trying to find a store that would sell me an iPod battery.  Best Buy, Circuit City, radio Shack, and the Apple store all said to send the Ipod to Apple.  (Strangely, Canadians can order an iPod replacemetn battery from the Best Buy Canadian site, but no luck in the US).

I eventually contacted a local store specializing in batteries.  And I was able to order a battery thru them.  I should receive it in a couple of days.  I'll post an update to let you guys know how it worked out.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 01:16 PM by S_A_Longhorn »
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2006, 09:01 AM »
I was hoping to pick up an iPod nano for my wife for her birthday, but it sure sounds like a lot of you have had problems with your iPods.  Do you still recommend them?  Are these isolated incidents or is it pretty common to have problems with them?  This would be a fairly big purchase for us (we usually keep birthdays on the cheap side), so I'd hate to spend the money if its going to crap out in a year.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2006, 10:51 AM »
I was hoping to pick up an iPod nano for my wife for her birthday, but it sure sounds like a lot of you have had problems with your iPods.  Do you still recommend them?  Are these isolated incidents or is it pretty common to have problems with them?  This would be a fairly big purchase for us (we usually keep birthdays on the cheap side), so I'd hate to spend the money if its going to crap out in a year.

I don't have a Nano, but I will buy one if I can't change my battery in my Mini.  The iPod is definitely worth it.  I didn't I needed or wanted one for a long time.  MY wife "made" me buy one, and now I am suffering thru iPod withdraw.

As for my problem, any electronic device that uses a rechargable battery will eventually force you to get a new battery.  The problem with the iPod is that Apple prefers you to send it in, versus going to a local store.  Why Best Buy and Circuit City doesn't service them for you is beyond me.  I recently purchased a new rechargable battery for my digital camera, which is 3 years old.  But I used my iPod 5 to 6 times a week for a year, so the battery ran down much faster.  I still prefer the iPod battery versus buying batteries everytime.

The other minor computer issues I experienced were easily resolved by using the included iTunes software.  You and your wife would be very happy with a iPod Nano, which is much smaller than my Mini.
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2006, 06:48 PM »
i haven't had my ipod nano for long enough to have any trouble with it, but i would recommend getting one of larger hard drive ones.  i have the 2 gig and that requires me to be very selective with what makes the cut and what doesn't.   i think the 4 gig would have gotten me alot closer to where i would like to be. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2006, 08:00 PM »
I love my iPod as well.  I have one of the 60 GB versions and have almost 8 days worth of music loaded on it....and still have another 50 GB to work with!

Just remember, these are mechanical devices, eventually there will be parts that break and rechargeable batteries will eventually war out.  The only downside I can think of is that Apple is very strict with their proprietary titles....it's the main reason I'm typing this on an HP laptop instead of a Mac.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2006, 12:25 PM »
Well I replaced my iPod mini battery.  Instead of paying Apple $60+ to replace it and going thru iPod withdrawl for another 3-4 weeks, I purchased a replacement battery from a specialized battery store locally.  Paid $28 wth tax, and then followed the instructions on this website.  The instrucations that came with the battery were the exact same instructions but in black & white.

My iPod mini is now back to working properly.  Fully charged in about 4 hours as normal, and seems to be keeping it's charge better than the original Sanyo battery.  I've read other people saying their new battery lasts longer than the original.  I hope so!

8)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2006, 12:56 PM »
A big announcement out of the Apple camp is just moments away.  Rumor has it that the announcement will include:

a couple new sizes of iPod Nano, along w/ a more durable material.

6g iPod that will be widescreen, touchscreen

iTunes will start selling movies

The Nano and iTunes stuff, I don't care as much about, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the new full-size iPods look like. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2006, 01:14 PM »
A big announcement out of the Apple camp is just moments away.

And how!

10:12 am   iLounge: Nano is now, as rumored, Aluminum and in colors
10:12 am   iLounge: 249 and 349 with 60GB and 80GB capacity
10:10 am   iLounge: games will work on 5G ipods
10:09 am   iLounge: games for sale off iTunes for $4.99
10:08 am   iLounge: new iPod software features: instant searching, new games (Bejeweled, Cubis 2, Mahjong, Mini golf, pac man, tetris, texas holdem, vortex, and zuma)
10:07 am   iLounge: iPod is getting enhanced today. 60% brighter with brighness control, 3.5 hours video playback (up from 2 hrs... big version goes to 6.5 hours), new headphones, gapless playback

80GB iPod for $350?!  Holy geez.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."