Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 84944 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #135 on: September 12, 2006, 02:22 PM »
The Apple website has been updated with the new stuff:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html

(Disjointed) Summary from today's press conference:

iPod:

*$249 and $349 with 60GB and 80GB capacity
*games will work on 5G ipods
*games for sale off iTunes for $4.99
*new iPod software features: instant searching, new games (Bejeweled, Cubis 2, Mahjong, Mini golf, pac man, tetris, texas holdem, vortex, and zuma)
*iPod is getting enhanced today. 60% brighter with brighness control, 3.5 hours video playback (up from 2 hrs... big version goes to 6.5 hours), new headphones, gapless playback

Nano:

*correction: it appears as though the nano's packaging is 52% smaller, not the nano itself.
*$149 2GB ipod is aluminum only, $199 4GB has colors, $249 8GB is black only
*All models are 52% smaller in volume than previous nano. new charger, new armband, new lanyard
*8GB is $249 in all colors
*4GB is $199 in all colors but black
*2GB is $149 in silver only
*3 models, but with double storage capacity at each model (and varying colors available)
*New software just like standard iPod
*24 hour battery life
*Green silver black blue pink
*Nano is now, as rumored, Aluminum and in colors

Shuffle:

*metal body, 1 model (1GB), $79, ships in october.
*iPod Shuffle is now 2nd generationl size of iPod Radio Remote

iTunes:

*So: Movies
*near DVD image quality
*Dolby surround audio
*Same day as DVD
*Pre-order with one click
*Usage rights = same as TV shows
*Parental controls extended to include MPAA ratings
*International in 2007
*iTunes 7 is available today as a free download from apple.com
*iPod boxes now show Pirates of the Carribbean
*U.S. now, International in 2007.
*Dolby surround audio in videos
*Same encoding as TV shows at 640x480. If you have a 5mb/s broadband connection, it will take approximately 30 minutes to download a movie
*most titles will be $9.99
*New releases $12.99 preorders and first week, after that up to $14.99
*75 films online today, more every week and month
*Today, films from Walt Disney, Pixar, Touchstone, Miramax. (all Disney owned)
*Tv shows - started with 1 network, 5 shows.
*movies
*"one more thing..."
*Video on screen now markedly higher resolution
*Now, all of this video is encoded with the best encoding in the world, H.264. We've been distributing it at 320x240. Today, we're going to take that up a notch to 640x480. That's 4x the resolution. iTunes 7 also has seamless playback for video.
*you can now sync between multiple computers using an iPod, as long as both are authorized on the same account
*Today we're introducing the biggest single enhancement: iTunes 7
You say "it looks the same," but it isn't
[the left nav is more cleanly organized without being radically different]
We've added a View switch, a 3-position switch. we've added a 2nd view called album view, so you can scroll through your music library and look at it by album. what if you ripped your CDs and don't have the covers? Today we're announcing free missing album cover art for all the music in your library if you have an itune acct. itunes will automatically download it for free
but there's something even better. that's the third view. it's called Cover Flow view. [LOOKS LIKE FLIPPLING THROUGH YOUR CD RACK]
*TV shows are now encoded at 640x480 (h264), up from 320x240
*iPod updater appears to be now integrated into iTunes
*3 different views of iTunes, list view, album view (with art and tracks), then "cover flow view" lets you rapidly find what you want by album cover
*iTunes will give you cover art for free if you are missing cover art (thanks Steve)
*Store now has own section, devices have their own sections, playlists too
*Source list now includes library with sep libraries for all forms of media
*iTunes 7 today

New TV set-top box:

*works with iTunes on PC or Mac. price will be $299
*[Steve finds and plays The Incredibles. it's not 640x480, it's HDTV]
*iTV lets you get access to trailers and itunes store selected content from internet
*The software features 3D animated graphics with a menu on the right and graphics on the left. Jobs demonstrated it, going into the Movies menu and scrolling through floating artwork on the left-hand side.
*Video looks very close to DVD quality even on a huge theater sized projector
*Video access is instantaneous, looks like watching a DVD
*It looks like this {a flatter Mini} it's called iTV. That's a codeword. we need to come up with a better name.
*Interface is like next gen front row
*1/2 size of Mac Mini, built-in power supply, USB, Ethernet, 802.11 "wireless component video", optical audio and HDMI ports, plus old RCA stereo audio ports. Works with Apple Remote
*Like a Mac Mini... iTV is its name (not final).
*Apple is releasing its long-rumored set-top box in Q1 2007. It will be Wireless
*You can take content to computer or iPod, but now... TV
*Q1 2007 "Completes the story"
*One last thing, an unusual sneak peek
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2006, 02:53 PM »
 :o

Figures.  I knew, like all technology, the second I buy it, it will be out of date. 

80 GB sounds pretty sweet and the price is nice too.  Wonder if I can sell mine off :P

Thanks for the news.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2006, 03:05 PM »
I've been trying like crazy to get the new iTunes 7 update, but keep getting the "server could not be contacted" message.  They're either getting hammered, or the update's just not available yet.  Probably both.

Looks like the widescreen thing didn't pan out, which is unfortunate, given how much emphasis they're gonna be putting on movies.  Oh well--I'm not really interested in watching movies on an iPod, anyway.

Some really nice updates today, for the 6G iPod, and especially the Nano--they're all aluminum now, which should take care of most of the "they're too fragile" complaints.  And with the new colors--they're basically like flash Minis.

And the Shuffle is still the red-headed stepchild of the iPod family--but man, that 1GB model is tiny! 
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2006, 11:40 PM »
Just ordered an 80 gig!

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #139 on: September 23, 2006, 06:31 PM »
Once I get my iPod, I'll be wanting to toss a few of my favorite movies and TV shows onto it... Is there a program that will let you pop a DVD into your PC and downsize/convert it into a filetype to watch on an iPod?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2006, 09:13 PM »
Did anyone else's iPod crash after upgrading iTunes? My iTunes froze after upgrading, and my iPod Nano was plugged in charging, and it corrupted the data. I had to reset my Nano back to factory settings. It's fine now, but I'm wondering if anyone else had this happen.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2006, 11:26 AM »
I had no problems with iTunes, but I have not hooked up my iPod to the computer for a while...I haven't added anything to the library.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2006, 06:47 PM »
I need help...

So FedEx gets my package to me a few days later than expected, and the box is literally ripped in half... I've never seen anything like this before. Despite there only being a small ball of paper in as cushion, somehow my iPod survived the ride... the box to my iSkin was bent in half. What the ****?

So I boot up the iPod, browse the menus, and decide to go ahead and plug it into my PC and put some music on it...

I plug the iPod into the PC, the PC recognizes it as an iPod... but my iTunes (the latest version) doesn't realize I have an iPod... the iPod is blinking "DO NOT DISCONNECT" and appears to be recharging, despite the fact the battery was full... and the Apple Guide says "try connecting it into another outlet"... So which command do I follow? What the ****?

Help, plz.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2006, 06:56 PM »
Try closing iTunes and re-open it.  If iTunes still doesn't recognize the iPod, then I would reboot the PC.  However if it does, you should be able to eject the iPod from your connection.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2006, 07:01 PM »
I've tried closing iTunes a couple of times, and it doesn't know there's an iPod here... The 'Setup Assistant' never showed up for me, either...

Should I eject it while it's saying 'Do not disconnect'?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #145 on: September 28, 2006, 12:29 PM »
It shouldn't hurt the iPo since you are not updating it.

Hope you haven't been waiting all this time!  :-[
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2006, 01:33 PM »
After 2 or 3 hours waiting around, I finally just ejected the iPod, opened iTunes, then put the iPod into a different USB port... it worked immediately...

Lame.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 3, 2006, 12:48 PM »
After a desperte search, I found my iPod today, in a pair of shorts that hadn't yet been run through the dryer. Against all hopes, I tried to see if it would work and it would not.

Time to go to the apple store.  :-\

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: iPod-washing
« Reply #148 on: October 3, 2006, 01:24 PM »
Yeah... that's not good.

My iPod has been acting kinda funky, at times, when I try to turn it on. It'll refuse to turn on, and then after a few button presses, it'll beep and I see an Apple Logo... and then it starts working. Very weird.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: iPod-washing
« Reply #149 on: October 3, 2006, 01:39 PM »
I had that problem before the wash accident. On a whim I took my iPod into my gym wehre my iPod docking stereo is, and hooked it up, and it works fine.

Must be a USB problem(?).

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...