Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 84924 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2007, 05:25 PM »
Rumors are wi-fi functionality as well.

Possible new iPod Nano

Possible new iPod "Touch"

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 05:26 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #226 on: September 4, 2007, 01:51 PM »
Think Secret: Touch-screen iPod to take center stage

September 4, 2007 - Apple will at last unveil a touch-screen iPod with a 3.5-inch display at its media event Wednesday, sources have confirmed, some 20 months after Think Secret first broke word of the device's development.

The new iPod will feature similar dimensions to Apple's iPhone with which it will share the same display, but sources except the iPod to continue to sport a hard drive in place of Flash memory. Solid state media commands a roughly 15-fold price premium per gigabyte over a 1.8-inch hard drive, which is now available in substantial quantities at capacities up to 120GB.

The rumormill has been ripe with other feature speculation surrounding the new iPod, some more far-fetched than others. While it is possible the new iPod will be the first to pack some sort of wireless capability, suggestions of digital radio playback should be taken with a grain of salt.

Apple's new iPod nano, meanwhile, will gain much of the same functionality as Apple's current 5.5G iPod, including video playback and a higher resolution 320x240 pixel display. The nano will remain Flash-based, with capacities expected to top out at 12GB or 16GB, in keeping with rival product offerings.

The iPod nano is also expected to feature the first substantial improvement to the iPod's traditional interface. Rumored to have been in development for nearly two years, the click-wheel based interface will pack plenty of animation and other visual flair, including CoverFlow browsing if leaked videos of the interface--screenshots of which are offered below--are true to the final form.

Apple may take advantage of tomorrow's media event to make other announcements, including new iPod accessories. Think Secret sources recently said they believe the iPod Hi-Fi speaker system will be eliminated from Apple's product line-up in the near future.

In addition, rumors that Apple will make an announcement regarding the Beatles catalog have circulated for some time and may come to a head tomorrow. The rumors have been partially fueled by content selections in the leaked iPod interface videos and also by the recent addition of John Lennon's solo work to iTunes.

The supposed "leaked screenshots" of the new interface are up at the link. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 4, 2007, 02:57 PM »
Anyone wanna buy a 80GB current gen model?

Not even one year old...

:-\

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 5, 2007, 02:06 PM »
Maybe not.  According to MacWorld the new ipod 'touch' is only available in 8 ($299) and 16GB ($399) sizes.  Good news is that it has WiFi connectivity. 

Big question is why not go with the standard HD that the 'classic' ipod uses? 

New Ipod Lineup

Very disappointing for those of us who wanted to upgrade their 'primary' ipod... :-\

Good news is the introduction of an ipod nano with video capabilities and the new 'classic' ipod with a tweaked exterior and great storage capacity.

Base model has 80GB while the deluxe has, get ready, 160GB.  $249 and $349 respectively.  Shame on me for buying my 80GB last X-Mas...

« Last Edit: September 5, 2007, 02:13 PM by ruiner »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #229 on: September 5, 2007, 02:37 PM »
160 GB ... **** me. That's 20 more than my laptop drive and Seagate external put together.

Personally, it's taken me a year and a half to fill about 20 GB of my 30 GB iPod. It looks like the 160 would be more intended for video--I mean who has 40,000 songs anyway?
« Last Edit: September 5, 2007, 02:44 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 5, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Eh, I'll stick with my original Nano. Still works fine and I've only filled about 1.3 gigs with songs and pictures.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 5, 2007, 05:40 PM »
It looks like the 160 would be more intended for video--I mean who has 40,000 songs anyway?

i have to agree there... even the most hard core music guys i know only have 25-30 gb.  still, 160 gb seems huge... maybe enough for almost the whole dvd collection and cd collection.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #232 on: September 6, 2007, 12:10 AM »
I guess I'm a hardcore music guy... I've got 53 gigs of music and 16 gigs of video. My 80 gig iPod only has 4 gigs of free space left. I won't be upgrading to a 160 gig anytime soon, though. I'm happy with what I've got.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2007, 05:43 PM »
What do you guys do when iTunes won't recognize a legitimate CD that you're trying to import? 

I just bought Foo Fighter's There is Nothing Left to Lose and the database that iTunes uses won't recognize it...is that odd or what?  Usually the big name artists aren't a problem.

Just curious.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2007, 07:33 PM »
I assume you've tried ejecting and re-inserting the disc, and/or restarting iTunes? Sometimes that fixes it for me.

Otherwise, you have to do it manually. (P.S. To do a bunch of tracks at once (i.e. album info) highlight them and go to Get Info by either right-clicking or under File.)

When you're done naming them all, go to the Advanced menu and select Submit CD Track Names, which in theory means they should go into the database for the next guy.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:34 PM by Nathan »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2007, 10:14 PM »
Are the batteries on the new iPods better than they were?  With 160 gigs of memory, realistically you'd have to put movies on there to fill it.  IIRC my 30 GB won't last long enough to play a full movie.  The only place I'd likely watch a movie on an iPod is on an airplane but if the battery won't last, why not just use my laptop which is with me anyway?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 2, 2007, 01:54 PM »
I just got a 80g iPod Classic for my birthday (my 4g Nano was filled to capacity) and so far I love it. I have one question though. Because of the new cover flow feature, I want to add album covers to my songs that I got from a CD. Is there a way to highlight a particular album and copy an album cover to all of the songs?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 2, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Highlight the ones you want to change, right-click, select the first option which is "Get Info", it will ask you if you want to change info for multiple items and once and you click "Yes", then go to the little box that says "Artwork", right-click, and paste.

To change cover art on individual tracks (like if you want to give the specific cover art to singles off an album), you can either right-click-paste to the blank box in the lower left of the main screen which says "Drag Album Artwork Here" when the track is playing--or you can right-click the track, hit "Get Info", go to the "Artwork" tab, and then right-click-paste or click "Add" to browse to a file.

It sounds more complicated than it actually is.
« Last Edit: December 2, 2007, 03:09 PM by Nathan »

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #238 on: December 2, 2007, 10:44 PM »
even easier: highlight the songs you want, then drag the image file of the artwork to the album cover box in the lower left. it will put it there all at once.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 2, 2007, 11:52 PM »
is there any way to watch the videos stored on an ipod on a larger screen?