Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 84917 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #240 on: December 5, 2007, 04:14 PM »
Well, only three days of using my iPod Classic and it's already acting up. I'm listening to it earlier today, and as I'm switching to a new song, I find that it's on pause. I unpause it, though it's still paused. I repeat this process dozens of times. So, I go to settings to reset it. Click on a song, any my iPod completely freezes. Can't turn it off, backlight is always on, can't play the song, can't go forward in the song- anyone have advice?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #241 on: December 5, 2007, 04:44 PM »
I'm assuming you already tried this but I gotta say it just for thoroughness....

Usually this sort of thing will be solved by simply rebooting it (Pause and the center button at the same time). But when it's completely frozen, just let it sit out for a couple hours until the battery dies. At this point it will reboot itself and you should be golden.

If you already did that and everything just started over, then I couldn't say what else to do other than call tech support or go to your local Apple store.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2007, 06:19 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 5, 2007, 04:58 PM »
Return it.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 5, 2007, 09:25 PM »
I'm assuming you already tried this but I gotta say it just for thoroughness....

Usually this sort of thing will be solved by simply rebooting it (Pause and the center button at the same time).

I tried that, and no dice. However, upon discovering the user manual, the instructions were to first switch the "hold" button on and off, then press the center and menu button at the same time. After that, it worked like a charm.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #244 on: December 7, 2007, 10:08 PM »
My iPod does that, on occasion... ******* the hold on and off works, usually. As a last resort, rebooting works 90% of the time, too. When even that doesn't work, I just leave it alone for a while and before long it drains the batter down and returns to the main menu.

My 80 gig is at max capacity, even with only 3 movies and a few Office and Heroes episodes.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 2, 2008, 04:38 PM »
I'm a total iPod virgin.  I got my first one for Christmas from my wife and have been ldownloading music for the past week.  I'm only about a third of the way through my CD's and I've got 1615 songs in my music list.  Can't wait to see where my total ends up when I'm done...

I haven't had any issues with the iPod yet, but I've been having problems with iTunes while I'm downloading off my CD's.  As I'm going through the songs to choose which ones to download, every fourth or fifth CD will lock up iTunes and I need to close down the program.  It's pretty frustrating since I have so many disks, but it's more frustrating when the Microsoft error message states that I need to download the latest version of iTunes in order to remedy the problem.  Since I just got this for Christmas, I have the latest version of iTunes...

Anyone else have this happen?
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2008, 10:24 PM »
So I ripped my first movie for my ipod.  I was pretty pissed that they didn't have Star Wars in iTunes, so I took matters into my own hands.  I now have A New Hope downloaded and am in the process of ripping The Empire Strikes Back.  I plan on putting all 6 Star Wars movies, The Matrix trilogy, and The Lord Of The Rings trilogy on my iPod eventually.

Big thanks need to go out to BrentS who hooked me up with the programs.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2008, 10:40 PM »
My wife got a 4 gig nano for her birthday a few weeks ago, bringing us into the I-world for the first time.  I spent from Friday to Sunday importing about 3100 songs from our CD collection.  Big drag doing that, but now that it's done I'm happy to have everything squared away and organized so neatly.

My biggest frustration is on some albums with multiple artists, the way it organizes them sucks.  For example, My album of the Chieftans with a different guest artist on every track?  Created a separate file folder for every artist, so instead of one Chieftans folder, I get Mick Jagger and the Chieftans, Sting and the Chieftans, etc...which royally screws up the otherwise awesome Coverflow view.  Plus, it takes some Best Of albums and puts them under the regular artist's folder, and others it puts into compilations.  Billy Joel...two disc best of set...one disc is under Billy Joel, the other under compilations....again screwing with coverflow.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2008, 08:57 PM »
I usually rip my CD's in RealPlayer, fix the folder up the way I want it, then drop it into My Music.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2008, 09:05 AM »
that's what i did, basically...i ripped the music to an external drive on someone else's computer, reorganized the folders the way I wanted them and then imported the folders to my Itunes at home, but it reorganized them all over again.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Not surprisingly, my iPod classic has run into more problems. This time, if I click on a song, it'll have the play arrow in the top right, but it won't be playing the song. It's like it's automatically paused at the beginning of a song. Tried reseting, tried switching the hold on and off- no dice. Any suggestions?

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 9, 2008, 11:56 AM »
I want to get my husband an iPod for a combo Father's Day/Birthday gift.  He got me a Shuffle for Christmas and I love it.  I'm trying to decide between the 8g Nano and the 80g Classic.  We don't have an extremely large library of music to transfer to it and he most likely won't be storing movies on it.   I would think that he'd watch movies on his laptop when he travelled.  Does anyone have the latest generation Nano and are they happy with it?  He's borrowed the 80g Classic from a friend and loves the fact that you can set the music my artist/genre, etc, but the Nano has that capability too, doesn't it?

My wife got a 4 gig nano for her birthday a few weeks ago, bringing us into the I-world for the first time.  I spent from Friday to Sunday importing about 3100 songs from our CD collection. 

Wow -- so they are holding quite a bit?  The standard description says the 4g holds roughly 1,000 songs and the 8g holds roughly 2,000 -- is anybody else finding that they hold quite a bit more?  If so, then the 8g Nano sounds like it would be the way to go.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 9, 2008, 12:52 PM »
I'll leave definitive answers to the more iPod edumucated folks around here but I'd be surprised if any iPods are regularly exceeding the suggested capacity without compressing the music somehow.  My wife's 4 GB nano holds exactly what it is supposed to and not a bit more. 

I'd suggest your husband decide based on something that will hold all your music and a little more based on what the specs are for each model (I'd suggest buying one level up in capacity over whatever he decides).  You never know whether you might find other sources of music from friends, downloads, iTunes store, etc. 

Then decide which physical style he likes and is comfortable with.  I know some more delicate types that don't like running with a classic because it's "too big" ( ::)) so sacrificed capacity for the smaller nano because it was "lighter". 

The nano's, at least the older generation, could do all the settings the classic can.  So setting by artist, genre etc is in there.  I'd think the new stuff would do that better or in more ways if anything. 

I'm guessing you'll end up buying another within five years too, so don't get wrapped up in "this will be the only one".  Obsolescence is inevitable.   ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 9, 2008, 01:33 PM »
I have the original 4GB iPod Nano (released in late 2005, bought in early 2006) and I'm currently at 2.7 GB full, however 2.1 GB is music, and the rest are Podcasts and pictures. iTunes says that I have 508 songs on there which would make sense considering it can hold a max of 1000. I am thinking about upgrading to one of the classic iPods soon, however, after I buy a new HDTV.

Tracy, I think what name is talking about is that he was importing all of his CD's to iTunes. When you install iTunes to your PC, you can put your CD's in your disc drive, iTunes will load them and ask if you'd like to import them, which basically means you can open iTunes at any time and play songs, no CD required.

My Nano can also play songs by artist, album, or in alphabetical order. Even randomly just like the Shuffle.

So I'd go with the 8 GB Nano, but it's really whichever one you'd like. I like the Nano simply because it's portable and easy to carry around.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 10, 2008, 02:33 PM »
What he said.

I did import all of our CD's onto our portable hard drive and into Itunes, but the 4gig nano won't hold close to that.  I just wanted to get all of the CD's done and over with.  My wife can then make her playlists and pick and choose what songs to load onto the Ipod.

I'd go with either the 8gig nano or the 80 gig classic.  4 gigs seems a a little cramped to me.