Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 84943 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Why the iPod is doomed | MSN Money

"What Apple does best is make beautiful hardware," says Dalton Caldwell, chief of internet music service Imeem. "If we live in this universe where hardware matters less, Apple will be in a poor position in the market."
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 29, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Orson Scott Card on the new Shuffle

"I mean, if I have to use their earphones in order to control the Shuffle, and I can't keep them in my ears, then who am I playing the songs for, passing insects?

Isn't this how things always go? They get a goal in mind ("Smaller! No, smaller than that!") and they lose track of the possibility that they might have already achieved the goal and that to go farther will be destructive.

It's as if they were trying to build the world's smallest car, and they did it, but then they kept on going and now the car is so small that you can't actually fit the steering wheel or pedals inside -- or a person, either, for that matter -- so now you have to stand on the rear bumper and control it with a remote.

So you haven't invented the world's smallest car, you've invented the world's most cumbersome scooter."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #302 on: March 29, 2009, 11:47 PM »
The chief reason why I won't get one.  I hate using headphones that go inside the ear.  They hurt after a while.

I can't say enough good things about my Bose QC3 headphones!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 30, 2009, 11:35 AM »
The chief reason why I won't get one.  I hate using headphones that go inside the ear.  They hurt after a while.

Is that where they go?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 31, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Why the iPod is doomed | MSN Money

"What Apple does best is make beautiful hardware," says Dalton Caldwell, chief of internet music service Imeem. "If we live in this universe where hardware matters less, Apple will be in a poor position in the market."

i am not sure i really understand this.  you still have to have something to play your digital music right? 

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16 PM »
True, but as online/wireless music becomes more prolific (the theory goes), the hardware itself is no longer a snazzy storage device but simply a means to access stuff that is already out there. Specialization will be less important as long as it has a good connection. We're already seeing this to an extent with the phones that can also stream music, a function which the iPhone itself is assimilating. Not to mention using the web to listen on home computers, e.g. Pandora, Last.fm.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:18 PM by Nathan »

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 7, 2009, 11:04 AM »
So I know that Matt_Fury uses Bose QC3 over-ear headphones with his iPod, but what does everyone else use?  I just bought a pair of Sennheiser CX-400 headphones and think they are great.  I'd recommend them to anyone that uses in-ear headphones.  Anyone else have headphone recommendations?
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #307 on: May 10, 2009, 12:38 PM »
Quick question as I am a total i-pod newb. I have never owned one but I am ready to take the plunge. As a first time i-pod buyer, is the Touch a good purchase for me? Also, I see that the median price for the 16gb Touch is $295. Should I buy now or is there a price break in the near future? Thanks to anyone who replies. I am pretty lost when it comes to this area.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 10, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Quick question as I am a total i-pod newb. I have never owned one but I am ready to take the plunge. As a first time i-pod buyer, is the Touch a good purchase for me? Also, I see that the median price for the 16gb Touch is $295. Should I buy now or is there a price break in the near future? Thanks to anyone who replies. I am pretty lost when it comes to this area.

this question reminds me... my wife just got a 16gb iphone which to me looks alot like the touch, but the refurb only cost $150.  are there any real advantages to getting the touch over the iphone?

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 10, 2009, 09:52 PM »
So I know that Matt_Fury uses Bose QC3 over-ear headphones with his iPod, but what does everyone else use?  I just bought a pair of Sennheiser CX-400 headphones and think they are great.  I'd recommend them to anyone that uses in-ear headphones.  Anyone else have headphone recommendations?

I use Phillips behind the ear sport headphones.  I can't stand stuff in my ears and these are perfect for running/lifting as I can just run the cord up through my shirt or wrap the excess cord around my arm band.  Oh yeah, and my iPod is the 8GB nanochormatic in black.  I haven't yet convinced myself I really need an iPhone.  I just can't justify the expense.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:55 AM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #310 on: May 11, 2009, 01:15 AM »
I have a 32GB touch and I love it.  My only real gripe is not being able to connect everywhere ala a phone/blackberry etc.  It sucks to have all of the apps and stuff an iPhone has but not the connectivity unless you can steal WiFi somwhere.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 12, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Still waiting for the 150GB iphone.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 13, 2009, 06:22 PM »
my 1st gen nano stopped working the other day.  it will charge and reset and the lock button will make the light go on, but i can't make it play at all.  is it just busted?

i know i should probably just give it up... i already have a new one, but it was nice to just hook up in the car and leave in the glove box.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 16, 2009, 12:00 AM »
I guess I'm the latest victim of an iPod crapping out.

My 80G Classic gave me the big red 'x' but I was able to get it to reset finally.  Then I received the message 'Use iTunes to restore'.  When I try to reformat it, nothing is happening.  I get a window on my computer that comes up and says 'Autoplay' and then I get another window that says my iPod needs to be reformatted using iTunes.  When iTunes opens, nothing happens.  Am I missing something that I'm supposed to be doing because there are no additional on-screen instructions that come up after iTunes opens (per the owners manual, I'm supposed to follow the on-screen instructions...)?

I'm assuming that I'm going to need to bring it in for service or get a new one, but wanted to know if any of you have had the same thing happen and what did you do about it.  Can you let me know?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:02 AM by I Am Sith »
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 16, 2009, 10:36 PM »
Yep, spoke with Apple today and the hard drive is fried.  This thing is less than 2 years old and it's already fried.  What a load of crap.

So now I can pay $140 to get it repaired, or I can spend $250 for a new 160G Classic.  I definitely don't need that much capacity, but I also don't have the $ to get a 64G Touch.  That would be the perfect capacity for my needs and it would give me the bigger screen to watch movies.  But I just can't justify the 4 bills they are charging for it.  4 bills is a lot of Kubricks that I could buy instead...

Advice?