Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 84919 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #75 on: February 1, 2006, 07:31 PM »
QUESTION REGARDING THE IPOD SHUFFLE:

My niece got an iPod Shuffle for Christmas.  I set her iPod up on my home computer, since she was not allowed to build a library of music on her home computer.  My wife has a Shuffle and I have a iPod Mini.  We are able to load music on our own iPods by using the same iTunes on our home computer.  So I figured one more Shuffle would be no problem.

First, I had to update iTunes b/c my niece's version had to use the version packed with her player.  So I upgraded our iTunes on my home computer. 

Next, I created a new folder under her name for her specific iPod.  I then loaded about 80 songs onto her iPod from our iTunes library.  When I disconnected it and reconnected, iTunes showed the 80 songs on her iPod.

The problem is the Shuffle will not play!  I tried the various settings (Off, Play, Shuffle) and nothing.  I tried the volume, and nothing.  I tried skipping songs, and still nothing.

I told my niece to plug the Shuffle into her own computer and allow it to charge for several hours, since it was brand new.  She was still unable to play any of the songs after 5 hours of charging.

Is there anything else I can try?  My niece's parent are going to return the Shuffle since they believe it is defective.

Any suggestions?

Sorry. I could help you out, but since you didn't say it was a "really urgent question" like Hunter of the Pegs above I'm not going to help you. At least not until we get an update of how things went with his "insanely urgent now I'm going to just ******* disappear" bull****.

Sorry about not replying, but the reset-strategy worked. And I never said I was going to "******* Disappear".
« Last Edit: February 1, 2006, 07:32 PM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #76 on: February 2, 2006, 01:08 PM »
I'm still trying to decide on which iPod is best for me... I really like the idea of being able to play video, but being on dialup, I don't see that I'll be downloading video's very frequently... I don't listen to that many artists who have music videos, either. Is there any way to import, say, a Family Guy episode straight from one of my DVDs? Or would I have to download them (and pay for the same episodes twice)?

One feature that I do think I'd definately take advantage of, though, is the ability to view photos.

In iTunes, I custom-sized all of my albums' artwork so that they'd look uniform... my concert recordings even have the concert poster for the 'Album Art'... Does the iTunes 'album art' feature exist in an iPod? So that when I'm playing a particular song on the iPod, the appropriate album art is on the screen?

With that in mind, my iTunes is extremelly organized, I've gone to great lengths to make sure all of my concerts have a uniform date fixed to the album title, for example. Will iTunes import all of this information into the iPod?

It's, uh... kinda urgent, people.

::)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #77 on: February 2, 2006, 02:32 PM »
I can only answer this:

With that in mind, my iTunes is extremelly organized, I've gone to great lengths to make sure all of my concerts have a uniform date fixed to the album title, for example. Will iTunes import all of this information into the iPod?

In a word, yes.  Whatever your songs/albums/artists are listed as in iTunes, that will all carry over to the 'Pod.  I've put somewhere around 15 full shows into my 'Pod, and I set them all up to have the same album title convention (which was a bitch, because the CDDB info was all over the place, so I had to rename prety much all of them).

For example:

Artist:  Guns N' Roses
Album:  1992-04-06 Oklahoma City

Artist:  Pearl Jam
Album:  2000-05-30 London

Artist:  Wilco
Album:  2005-04-25 Oklahoma City

The year-month-day-city thing was just my personal preference--there's probably dozens of different ways to do it.  Just whatever you prefer.  But that's how I set mine up.  That's what they look like in iTunes, and that's what they look like on my iPod.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

And also, http://www.ilounge.com is a great, great site for iPod owners.  They've got all kinds of things to help you get the most out of your 'Pod.  I've found some of their "Beginner's Guide to iPod 101/201" articles invaluable when trying to learn how to do stuff.  They've also got a bunch of different FAQs, and an "ask iLounge" section, along with some pretty extensive message boards.  So check them out if you don't find the information here.

http://www.ilounge.com
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #78 on: February 2, 2006, 03:14 PM »
That answers my question, thanks! I'm relieved to hear it, too... I spent a long time reworking the dates on the concerts, since Archive.Org's layout is really goofy looking to me...

Regarding the dates, I prefer 04.06.92, for some reason.

*Looking forward to buying an iPod + Chinese Democracy*

Thanks for the URL, too... I'm browsing the site now!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #79 on: February 2, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Regarding the dates, I prefer 04.06.92, for some reason.

Normally, I like it that way, too, but I found that listing them that way really screwed with the chronology in iTunes.  So it'd be like this, if viewing the albums alphabetically:

04.06.92 Oklahoma City
04.25.05 Oklahoma City
05.30.00 London

Extrapolate that out to several dozen live shows, and it would be a hassle trying to find something.  For me, anyway.  I like seeing all the shows listed, by date, in order, from 19xx to 2005.

Plus, that whole "two digits for the year" thing--shades of Y2K all over again.  And I don't know about you, but I plan on enjoying my iPod well into the 22nd century.

*Looking forward to buying an iPod + Chinese Democracy*

"People will hear music this year."

Yes, Axl, just not any of yours.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 2, 2006, 07:10 PM »
Didn't a song leak onto the internet from Chinese Democracy, under the same name?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #81 on: February 2, 2006, 10:36 PM »
Is this an urgent question, Kevin?

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 4, 2006, 06:36 PM »
My Nano is acting up again. The screen is always on the front screen, no backlight, I can't move around or click on anything, I can't turn it off, I've tried the reset thing, and I've tried charging it. Is there a warranty or something, 'cause I don't think I can get this thing to work.

EDIT: Thanks for the fast and informative advice.  ::)

I got it to work just by leaving it alone for a while.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2006, 11:14 AM by HunterofThePegs »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #83 on: February 5, 2006, 02:26 PM »
User error?

???

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #84 on: February 5, 2006, 02:59 PM »

Eh!Eh! Bladda. Blehda bleh, bladda bleh bleble. Bleh? Bleh? BLADDA BLADDA BLADDA! Blehhe niounnn. 18 bleh bla blee. Eh...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 5, 2006, 03:36 PM »

Service is slower on the weekends here. And, you didn't say it was urgent.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 6, 2006, 10:00 AM »
Many thanx BILL COSBY.  The ilounge.com provided the answers I needed to correct my iPod Shuffle problem!  ;D
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #87 on: February 6, 2006, 10:14 AM »
Many thanx BILL COSBY.  The ilounge.com provided the answers I needed to correct my iPod Shuffle problem!  ;D

If I had known that my post was going to help out a Texas fan, I never would have put it up in the first place.

(winking smiley?)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2006, 09:59 AM »
I've finally gotten into the world of MP3's, i-tunes and high speed internet and I'm having some problems...

All of my music files on my PC are MPEG4 files downloaded from i-tunes or brought in from a CD.

When I try to store them on my MP3 player it won't recognize them because of the format. 

My question is this - what software program do you guys recommend that easily converts music files to MP3 or .wav?

I-tunes can't do it nor the cheesy software that came with my MP3 player.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2006, 11:28 AM »
Hmmmm... I didn't have any mpeg4 stuff but iTunes converted all of my wma's into mp3's when I first tried to import it all.  But I had to set it up to do that before I tried importing anything...  I'm sure a quick google search for mpeg4 converter or something like that would net a few programs that you could use.