Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 84927 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: iPod-washing
« Reply #150 on: October 3, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Oh, that hurts.

Do you have one of those extended warranties I always think are a joke?   ;)

I don't have an i-pod yet, but with a business trip looming in a couple weeks, I sure would like to get one...especially one with video (at one time I thought Arrested Development ((the show)) was available).

Is there a way to take a DVD and download it to your i-pod?  Something tells me no.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 3, 2006, 02:10 PM »
Help!!

I need someone to guide me to the correct iPod.  All I want is to have one to download music that I have saved to my computer or songs I find online.  I'd say 40 cd's altogether.  I only need it for long trips on the back of the Harley but needs to fit into my jacket pocket or pants pocket. 

To be able to put a cool jacket/cover (or whatever the hell they are called) on it would sweet.  Obviously, I'd like a Star Wars one but have no idea if it is possible.  Hello Kitty or Barbie would work also - think pink.

Thanks in advance!!

PS:  Dumb question of the month but I assume I can download songs from my computer even if it not an Apple.
Beth

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #152 on: October 3, 2006, 02:23 PM »
Beth,

For what you're looking for, I would suggest an iPod Mini or Nano.  Actually, any iPod would be good for what you want.  I have the 60 GB one and it fits easily into a jacket pocket.

You also do not need to use a Mac with an iPod.  The iTunes software works very well on a PC.

Speaking of which, I finally updated my iPod with the latest software and it's even better.  Now there is no short pause between songs so when I play albums with seamless transitions (Tool or Pink Floyd are notorious for these types of transitions) they albums sound perfect!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #153 on: October 3, 2006, 02:29 PM »
To be able to put a cool jacket/cover (or whatever the hell they are called) on it would sweet.  Obviously, I'd like a Star Wars one but have no idea if it is possible.

http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/category.xml?category_id=409
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #154 on: October 3, 2006, 02:40 PM »
My cover/case is a big bulky iSkin... it covers up the nice streamlined design of the iPod, and makes it look more like an old gameboy... but my hope is that it just does its job well, and protects it from any tumbles the way a more attractive cover may not.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #155 on: October 3, 2006, 04:29 PM »
Help!!

I need someone to guide me to the correct iPod.  All I want is to have one to download music that I have saved to my computer or songs I find online.  I'd say 40 cd's altogether.  I only need it for long trips on the back of the Harley but needs to fit into my jacket pocket or pants pocket. 

To be able to put a cool jacket/cover (or whatever the hell they are called) on it would sweet.  Obviously, I'd like a Star Wars one but have no idea if it is possible.  Hello Kitty or Barbie would work also - think pink.

Sounds like one of the new Nanos would be perfect for you.  With only 40 CDs, you wouldn't need anything bigger.  They've got a silver 2GB model which holds around 500 songs for $150, but for $50 more, you can get a 4GB model, which holds 1000 songs--and the 4GB models come not only in silver, but also in green, blue, and even pink.  They've also got a black 8GB model (2000 songs--black is always bigger) for $250, but that sounds like it may be more than you need.

Here's Apple's Nano page.

(There are Star Wars iPod covers available, as someone else posted, but those were around before the new iPods were introduced a few weeks ago and I'm not certain if they would fit, as I believe the dimensions have changed somewhat.)

Anyway, from what you've said, I'd recommend giving that pink 4GB Nano a whirl.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2006, 04:46 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 3, 2006, 07:25 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I knew I could count on you guys to help me with this.  Now that I have a better idea of what will work for me, I like the pink nano one so now I just have to find the best price.

Thanks again!!
Beth

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 3, 2006, 10:13 PM »
I'm all set for now with the 30 gig, but I'm waiting for the 300 gig iPod 'Grande' - it'll be the size of your average maxtor external HD - but with a 4 inch wide click wheel and a color screen.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 4, 2006, 05:08 PM »
Thanks everyone!  I knew I could count on you guys to help me with this.  Now that I have a better idea of what will work for me, I like the pink nano one so now I just have to find the best price.

Thanks again!!

i think apple controls the price on ipods, so the price will be the same everywhere.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 5, 2006, 07:18 AM »
I know I may be a little late here, but I would recommend the nano as well.  I have one of the older 4 GB models and I'm up to 830 songs on mine.  I own ~100 CD's, but do not put every song from every CD on it.  I have also downloaded ~150 songs as well.  I have had it for 10 months and still have room for ~170 songs.  Really I am only waiting for a few groups to be available on line (like the Beatles since I have all their stuff on record which isn't the easiest to get on an ipod).  The real nice thing about the nano is the size.  I just stick it in my front shirt pocket at work.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 5, 2006, 06:52 PM »
i think apple controls the price on ipods, so the price will be the same everywhere.

Yah, it looks that way.  I haven't seen any difference yet (or heard of any as my kids were scoping them out for me also).  My son was gracious enough to offer to "give" me his and he'd just get a new one.  I think he conveniently forgot I pay for his credit card still. ::).
Anyhow - I should be able to go to Columbus this weekend and buy my pink nano.  I'm pretty excited since I haven't had anything fun like this for awhile (besides the new color changing mouse I just got).

Thanks once again everyone!!
Beth

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 6, 2006, 01:32 PM »
80 GB iPod advertised in the local electronics store flyer for the same price I paid for my 30 GB about five months ago.  Gotta love electronics and the disposable era.  I'd be upset if I didn't still have 20 GB of empty space. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 6, 2006, 03:47 PM »
$279.99?

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2006, 06:17 PM »
i apologize in advance if it has already been covered, but is there any way to even out the volume on all the tracks on your ipod?   i have alot of the old cd's that the volume is way too low on.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2006, 09:27 PM »
jadesfire - if it's not too late, hit a Costco.  All of the iPods are about $10 cheaper there than at other stores.  It's about the only way you'll catch any kind of retail break.

john - in the settings, there is an option called "sound check."  Turn it "on," and it generally equalizes the volume for all of your tracks.
"Really?  Sorry."