Author Topic: iPod-racing  (Read 85095 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: iPod-racing
« Reply #210 on: July 2, 2007, 01:56 PM »
There are better ways to invest $100K.  Or $800 for that matter.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 2, 2007, 02:23 PM »
What a stupid bitch!

I love that no one told her she could only buy 1 (or 2 at the Apple Store).  Not even the news team who did a good job staying out of the story.  100,000 would buy about 150 of the 8GB iPhones - most AT&T stores only received between 50 and 100 iPhones period.  What a vapid waste of a human, I bet she scalps McQuarrie figures as well.

Even if she could find 150 iPhones, they're only clearing $750 on eBay.  That could be a potential $15,000 profit for her, if her extra 150 phones hitting eBay didn't drive the price down.

My favorite part was the smug "I'm first" that she uttered as she walked through the door.

In the end, the dumb wench got her iPhone for $1400, and that kid got his for free.

Brilliant.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 4, 2007, 01:09 PM »
More brilliance, from me this time.

I ran my Shuffle through the wash (gym shorts pocket), TWICE.

And after a night to air dry (caught it before it went into the dryer) it works.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 6, 2007, 12:29 PM »
More brilliance, from me this time.

I ran my Shuffle through the wash (gym shorts pocket), TWICE.

And after a night to air dry (caught it before it went into the dryer) it works.

The Shuffle (old style and new style) are fantastic innovation, but I wonder how many new versions will end up in the trash, washing machine, or dropped without their owners knowing about it!?

I'm very happy with my new 30GB 5th Gen Video iPod.  I have all 6 SW films on there, as well as some basic music videos.  Also was able download some YouTube videos (which look a lot better on the iPod than the computer).  I have even added the Clone Wars animated series.  I have about 20 photos on there as well, and over 1500+ songs.

I just purchased one final FM transmitter:

iLounge.com recommended this as the premier FM transmitter.  I've tried other trasnmitters with varying success, but if this doesn't work, then I'll have to look into replacing the car stereoes in both of my vehicles.  :-\
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 6, 2007, 12:50 PM »
Let me know how that one works.  That's the next piece I'm after for is the FM transmitter to hook into the car.  I need to upgrade the speakers in the car as well, so maybe upgrading the deck isn't such a bad idea either, but I'd rather put the money into the speakers if I can get a decent FM transmitter. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 6, 2007, 12:51 PM »
I tried a handful of FM transmitters before I found one that worked.  Could be the city jamming up the frequencies, but iRiver was the only one I had any luck with.

Whatever you do, don't bother with ones that don't plug into a cigarette lighter - the ones trying to get their power from the iPod never work well (for me anyway).

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #216 on: July 8, 2007, 12:14 PM »

iLounge.com recommended this as the premier FM transmitter.  I've tried other trasnmitters with varying success, but if this doesn't work, then I'll have to look into replacing the car stereoes in both of my vehicles.  :-\

i had the white version of that one for years. it worked perfectly, but the cord eventually started to get loose and cause static in the connection. i bought this one at a discount club to replace it:

it's the Belkin version and it sucks. most of the time i have to put my hand on it just to boost the signal, which isn't very convenient when driving, for obvious reasons. i should have just bought another of the Kensingtons.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2007, 10:24 AM »
Let me know how that one works.  That's the next piece I'm after for is the FM transmitter to hook into the car.  I need to upgrade the speakers in the car as well, so maybe upgrading the deck isn't such a bad idea either, but I'd rather put the money into the speakers if I can get a decent FM transmitter. 

Hey MORGBUG, I've finally got my Kensington FM Transmitter.  My first impression is that it is very good.  I had a Belkin transmitter for my video iPod (a piece of crap) and a Griffin iTrip for my iPod Mini (not bad, but not great either), but this Kensington model is terrific.  I like the fact that it plugs into 12v adaptor, drawing power from there instead of the iPod, which is what the iTrip and Belkin models do.  I had to find an empty station that gave the best quality, but I was impressed with the clarity and volume.  The digital tuner also allows for easier programming, and it allows up to three preset settings in case the sound isn't the best on the default station.

These are just my first impressions, so I'll post more as I spend more time with it.  Overall impression is favorable.  This transmitter may prevent me from spending the big bucks to replace two car stereos.

EDIT 8/3/2007 - I'll just edit my last post since I was the last person to post here.  in short, I've have the transmitter for a while now, and it is exactly what I would hope for.  No need to buy a new stereo with an input jack, since this transmitter works perfectly.  The sound is clear and I can blast my speakers without any static.  For some reason the transmitter does not tune to any FM frequency of 87 FM.  These stations are ideal in most area.  However, I read online that there is an "easter egg" in tuning that frequency.  I haven't had to use the 87 FM freq yet, but it's good info to know for trips and such.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT!  It will work with any iPod that uses the bottom input female plug, like the mini, Nano, and Video iPods.
« Last Edit: August 3, 2007, 10:25 AM by S_A_Longhorn »
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 25, 2007, 08:09 PM »
Okay, are there any iPod users that can help me out with a problem? My iPod just froze after I plugged it into my PC for charging. It doesn't sync to Itunes, and iTunes says that it is "corrupted". I've tried restoring it, but iTunes said software cannot be downloaded to restore the iPod. If anyone can offer advice on how to fix this problem, I'd appreciate it. Lastly, the iPod is a Nano in case you need to know.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 27, 2007, 10:18 AM »
There is a way to completely rest your iPod (pressing the middle button in combination with the Menu button?).  This resets your iPod and will delete everyting on your hard drive, which allows you then to re-install your Itunes library.

There is also an iPod Installer program that does this for you too.  Check out the iTunes website to download the program.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2007, 02:13 PM »
How to Reset an Ipod

This should work.  It's happened to me before - usually when I leave the hold switch 'on' when connecting it to a PC.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2007, 03:15 PM »
Hey guys! Thanks for the advice! I fixed my problem the following day by just letting the battery die, so I didn't have to delete/replace my music. I'll keep the iPod reset pages/downloads in mind next time this happens to me.
   ruiner, I believe I had the hold switch in the on position, so that might have caused the problem.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2007, 04:21 PM »

Apple announces Sept. 5 Special Event

With a Cover Flow-themed widescreen graphic for its invitation, Apple has invited selected members of the media to a September 5, 2007 “Special Event” in San Francisco, California. The graphic, titled “The beat goes on.”, shows a silhouetted iTunes dancer holding a fifth-generation iPod in hand alongside six album covers. As with other major iPod- and iTunes-themed events, the Moscone Center has been selected as the venue, suggesting the need for greater seating capacity than the smaller Mac- and iPod accessory events Apple has staged in months and years past. iLounge editors will be on site to cover the Event live.

Rumors abound that this may be the official introduction of the new sixth-generation iPods, (finally) featuring a wide- and touch-screen display, much like the iPhone.

Either that, or the announcement that The Beatles' catalog will finally be made available on iTunes.

Or maybe both. 
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2007, 04:36 PM »

Apple announces Sept. 5 Special Event

Either that, or the announcement that The Beatles' catalog will finally be made available on iTunes.

Or maybe both. 
I'd say both.  McCartney, Lennon and now Ringo have all recently been added to iTunes...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2007, 04:45 PM »
If they add the iPhone interface to the iPod I may be getting in line to buy my first iPod.  I don't have an iPhone but after seeing what they've done with it from a technology standpoint, I find it to be incredibly interesting.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"