Author Topic: Group Project X - Clone Wars TV series  (Read 45391 times)

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
Re: Group Project X - Clone Wars TV series
« Reply #135 on: February 20, 2006, 04:35 PM »
Do you do all your work on cast parts now?  It doesn't seem like you ever paint over a hasbro part.  What (if any) benefit does this bring?

Well, most imoprtantly, i save $ in fodder.  How many figures have you cut up only to get the hands or head or left foot?  I used to have sooo many left over parts. Unless you're chewie, i dont think most of us will ever use all the fodder pieces we pile up.
By casting the pieces i need, i dont have to buy a figure just to get a limb or glove...etc.
Now when i buy figures i dont buy 2 or 3 for customs i may make later. Now if i need a part, i just go to my cabinet, select a figure, boil and pop, cast and go!

Phruby, Thanks alot, I looked at Roron Corobb this morning and was very happy with the head. I may re-do the feet if i dont like them after i sand em.

Smartypants, you're so right. I've gotten so many casted parts i've made from the bottles of plastic i have...Still using the same ones for 3 years.  Buying 10 figures for fodder would cover the price of the plastic and i've casted over 30 complete figures easily, not to mention all the heads, body parts, guns, helmets, weapons...etc that i've casted.

Darth Ripley, thank you very much, but i'm just trying to follow your obi wan. He's the benchmark, so I'm hoping mine turn out as well as yours did.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2006, 04:47 PM »

Well, most imoprtantly, i save $ in fodder.  How many figures have you cut up only to get the hands or head or left foot?  I used to have sooo many left over parts. Unless you're chewie, i dont think most of us will ever use all the fodder pieces we pile up.
By casting the pieces i need, i dont have to buy a figure just to get a limb or glove...etc.
Now when i buy figures i dont buy 2 or 3 for customs i may make later. Now if i need a part, i just go to my cabinet, select a figure, boil and pop, cast and go!

Smartypants, you're so right. I've gotten so many casted parts i've made from the bottles of plastic i have...Still using the same ones for 3 years.  Buying 10 figures for fodder would cover the price of the plastic and i've casted over 30 complete figures easily, not to mention all the heads, body parts, guns, helmets, weapons...etc that i've casted.

I can see how that makes a lot of sense.  As you know from our PM exchanges, I'm going to try to get more involved in casting parts.  Obviously, once you are good at it, I think it makes a lot of sense and a good way to save some cents (Ha!). 

However, it seems like you have to really plan your customs a bit more than I'm used to (call me impatient if you want  :D) .  With two (relatively) young kids at home and a wife that is moderately supportive of this new hobby of mine, my disposable free time is pretty small.   So far, its easier for me to pick up a few figures and slice and dice to create a custom. 

I've just recently started the "frankenstein" approach of adding pieces together, so we'll see if my attitude changes in the future.  Check back in a few months after I've started giving casting a try ;)

So far my favorite part about this hobby is the experimentation.  So, I reserve the right to change my above opinions at any time :)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2006, 07:24 PM »
I'm in the same boat Brent. I've got so much fodder to get rid of I should just start giving it away! ;) The only time I get to make stuff is after the kids go to bed or on weekends. I do try to make at least one big complicated custom a month and a small number of repaints or simple part swaps. I think I'm averaging one a week.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2006, 11:02 PM »
Hmmm... all this talk of casting parts has me on both sides of the fence as to whether or not it's something I'd end up doing or not ever.  From my point of view there are pros and cons -

Pros
- save yourself a whole lot of money
- have less boxes of fodder (junk) taking up space
- learn a whole new aspect to art (maybe I could actually consider my stuff art then)
- feel like I'm accomplishing more than I am right now

Cons
- laziness... not wanting to cast the parts
- organization... I am very unorganized and would make messes that could result in a divorce
- I like to rummage through my fodder for parts, I can't visualize what I want to do until I have gone through hundreds or thousands of parts

So, I think for someone that is disorganized and lazy like me, I'll stick with my technique... I have now consumed the house with custom parts in the bedroom (wife is real happy about that), all over the computer room, in the living room and in a stack now of 6 large tubs of figure parts.  I may use a lot of parts, but I'll never use them all.

Anyways, I'm floored by the detail on Roron Cob.  What a freaking awesome job you are doing!  Well beyond my levels!

:P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:11 AM by CHEWIE »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2006, 09:46 AM »
Chewie, I think you need to have some kids. That will clear things up for you really quick.  ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2006, 11:02 AM »
Anyways, I'm floored by the detail on Roron Cob.  What a freaking awesome job you are doing!  Well beyond my levels!

I agree.  Wow, just wow.  Very cool.

Of course, I have to ask - is he going to get carded too?   :)

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2006, 11:07 AM »

Cons
- laziness... not wanting to cast the parts

- I like to rummage through my fodder for parts, I can't visualize what I want to do until I have gone through hundreds or thousands of parts

DOnt get me wrong guys..I've said it before, i hate casting parts. I am very lazy when it comes to that part of the process. Thats the main reason i dont get motivated till the last week of these projects casue thats my first step.

I still rummage sort of, i browse. I look through my figures in my display cabinet and decide what parts i will use or not.

As far as patience brentS, it takes about 10 minutes to get a part. That beats, searchin through e-bay or hopeing someone answers your post in the need/trade thread.
I remember alot of folks saying " I would do this figure but the parts arent available... Well you sort of eliminate that problem.

I do homework with my son every evening, then my wife an i usually watch a show and if i'm not too tired, i'll work or a figure. But nights when my wife says lets go to bed...customs take a back seat....  ;)
Saturdays when she hits the stores, is when i get to work uninterupted... Unless my son wants to play video games... Its tough.

Phruby, I've been saying to myself that i need to get all my old fodder together and have a sale!  Problem is that as new figures comeout, the old fodder doenst seem to fit scale wise, or the sculpts are less appealing...Thats a big reason for me, making casts and not digging through old fodder.

Thanks Jeff, I do plan on carding them, we'll see if i can get the cards done by this weekend.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2006, 08:03 PM »
hey Glass um this is kind of off topic, but since we are on the subject of casting, next time you do one do you think you could like, do a a how to video. I've seen many a set of pictures, but i'm always not sure if i want to do it if im not 100% sure how. :-\

Also i have latex and I've built up about 15 molds but is latex the way to go or should i get rtv like everyon else? ???

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2006, 11:48 PM »
Went to the wizards game tonight, so no update, but  just checking in.
Smarty, please understand, that differnet techniques are good or bad for different people.
if laytex works for you, use laytex. I have found that silicone rubber works better with the same laytex method.

OK guys, would you believe a tree Just fell on our house?  I was typing and heard  rumbleing...My wife came running and i knew immediatly a tree fel.l It  scraped the side of our house.  D@MN!!!! Now i gotta replace siding. Lots of it.

And now i gotta remove 2 trees....  One fell during a snow storm last week, but just in the yard.

Anyway,  there are moldmaking/casting videos at smothon dot com's website.

they should help you greatly.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2006, 12:24 AM »
OK guys, would you believe a tree Just fell on our house?  I was typing and heard  rumbleing...My wife came running and i knew immediatly a tree fel.l It  scraped the side of our house.  D@MN!!!! Now i gotta replace siding. Lots of it.

And now i gotta remove 2 trees....  One fell during a snow storm last week, but just in the yard.

Not to make light of this situation, but you could always cast some new siding! 

However, in all seriousness, that sucks.  Will your homeowner's insurance cover the replacement costs?  We had siding replaced after a huge hailstorm at it was covered.  I'm not sure if trees are in the same boat.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2006, 11:39 AM »
That was actually funny BrentS! Made me laugh.

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2006, 01:18 PM »
I know I've posted this one befor, but hey, it goes with the theme right?

"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2006, 03:43 PM »
I remember that horse. Did you ever make a Yoda to ride him?

Offline darth_ripley

• Jedi Initiate
  • i'm the monster's mother...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2006, 04:25 PM »
yeah that horse was amazing i remember him too...he just needs a Yoda to ride on him.

Glassman, you'll just do anything to avoid getting a project in on time! JUST KIDDING!!!  :P

really sux about your house & all - sure hope it all works out ok. we cut down all our trees in the backyard last summer to avoid just that accident from happening, but here trees crash into houses due to tornadoes and hail and high wind during bad thunderstorms.  :-[

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Well, seeing as how I know a little something about having trees destroy houses, I have to sympathise with Glassman. Believe me that really sucks. BUt hopefully there wasnt too much damage.

AS far as casting goes I wish I could, but i hav neither the talent or the facilities. I'd love to be able to cast stuff like he has. I waould save a small fortune  in JLU parts alone. If Glassman could make a how to thread Id be more than willing to give it a thorough read. Id love to know how the magic works. ;D

Getting back to the horse, I commented on this when he made it, I am still amazed by how it came out. I was hot on the trail of a Yoda for him when the Hurricane hit, but I never got a chance to go to the Suncoast back home and get it for him. Its a real shame too, that horse screams for a yoda to jocky it.