Author Topic: What do you want for your Jedi Master Points?  (Read 3106 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
What do you want for your Jedi Master Points?
« on: April 30, 2003, 10:08 PM »
With rumblings (again  ::)) that Hasbro might finally have some ideas in place for our beloved Jedi Master Points, what would you like to get with your points?  How many have you got saved up?

Not sure what I'd like to be honest, but I don't think that I'd want it to be a figure though.  Not sure why, really...  Some cool figure accessory packs, small droids, diorama backdrops, or a ton of the clear plastic stands would be nice.  Perhaps even a real nice "Star Wars Collector" T-shirt would be fun!  How about a Hasbro figure encylopedia (like Sansweet's old AFA book)?   8)  Probably way too over the top with that one, I know...   :-\

No idea how many points I've got, but considering I have tons of extras of many figures, and save all of my cardbacks and packaging for EVERYTHING I open - which is a complete modern collection (and have kept ALL of my old receipts), I would have to guess my point collection would be in the upper 5-10% of all collectors to be honest.  No idea what the actual number would amount to though...

So what ideas do you folks have that would seem fair or cool for exchanging your Jedi Master Points in for?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: What do you want for your Jedi Master Points?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2003, 11:31 PM »
I think they should re-release the Early Bird Special from the original Star Wars days.  I would love to have one of them, but not at the going price rate.  Most of my Star Wars figs & vehicles are all unopened, and I wouldn't want to have to cut out those points just for something like that though.  It would be a tough decision whether or not to use those points, but it would depend on what they'd be going toward.
dustrho

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2003, 11:21 AM »
Whatever they offer, it better be cooler than a t-shirt that screams "Star Wars packrat." It needs to be a big fat wet kiss to all the hardcore collectors who even bothered to keep their points, let alone support the Hasbro line.

I'm thinking of something like the B'omarr Monk figure, a figure that fans would love to see but just doesn't fit into the pre-existing product lines. It can't be a freebie that will alienate mass market fans like a new Jabba. And it shouldn't be something so obscure no one really wants it (Bea Arthur comes to mind).

I think this is the perfect opportunity for Hasbro to offer the Tonnika Twins. Two figures, two different sculpts, offered for FREE with Jedi Master Points. No legal issues since Hasbro's not making a dime. No likeness royalties. Hell, they don't even have to CALL it a "Tonnika Twins 2-Pack." They could call it "Cantina Chicks" for all I care and send them to me in a plain white box.

Beats a t-shirt, doesn't it?
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: May 1, 2003, 02:59 PM »
And it shouldn't be something so obscure no one really wants it (Bea Arthur comes to mind).

I think Scott may take issue with this comment John!   ;D

Yeah, I guess in a perfect world, a cool background character made into a figure would be great!  I just get this sickening feeling in my stomach whenever someone makes something exclusive in some type of manner nowadays.  It just always seems to turn into some total nightmare for at least half of the collecting community, thus my hesitation for suggesting a new figure as well...

I was thinking on a much lower and probably more realistic scale really.  Though Hasbro really OWES us something quite nice for the Jedi Master Points after all this freaking wasted time, chock full of excuses and delays, I just think we're going to be sadly disappointed with whatever they come up with.  So I was trying not to get my hopes up too high, and thus suggested some simple little things that might make nice little additions to our collections that we could use.

As for the T-shirt idea - c'mon, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if done nicely.  I picked up the couple collecting T-shirts that Bill Cable and Isaac Lee designed last year, and I must say they're pretty dang spiffy!   ;)  Fun to wear around the house when no visitors are expected, and to the occasional convention that I attend - even if they "scream Star Wars packrat."   ;)   You can check them out in this thread:
Get your COOL collecting T-shirts here!

But yeah, all things being equal, and the world being a perfect place, new figures are always the #1 best idea - as long as everyone can honestly get 2 or 3 of them at cost (or for the original point offer in this case) if they so desire...

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 1, 2003, 04:45 PM »
Matt, as someone else who lived through the Vintage era, it seemed like there was a free figure offer EVERY YEAR for nothing but some UPCs and shipping & handling. I see absolutely no reason why Hasbro can't get this done in the 21st Century.

And by the way, these "free figures" were always offered later carded. If anything, the premium promotions were great marketing tools to gauge demand.

All I can think of is that Hasbro has some multi-tiered promotion in mind. Off the top of my head:

- Collect 15 points, get a free 3 3/4" action figure ($4.99 retail value).
- Collect 50 points, get a free Action Fleet vehicle ($9.99 retail value).
- Collect 100 points, get a free 12" action figure ($19.99 retail value).
- Collect 200 points, get a free 1-year fan club membership ($24.99 retail value).
- Collect 500 points, get a free 3 3/4" vehicle ($29.99-$39.99 retail value)

The numbers are wacky, but you get my drift.
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 1, 2003, 05:05 PM »
Matt, as someone else who lived through the Vintage era, it seemed like there was a free figure offer EVERY YEAR for nothing but some UPCs and shipping & handling. I see absolutely no reason why Hasbro can't get this done in the 21st Century.

Yeah, dem's was good times!   8)

But I do see one glaringly obvious reason that Hasbro can't (won't) do this like the old days - 'cause they ain't Kenner!   ;)

But yeah, now that you remind me - getting some free (and early) white boxed figures that later wind up on standard cards would be an ideal solution for all.  But knowing Hasbro, they'd likely make the earlier free figure just a little different than the subsequent carded version, therefore getting thousands of collectors panties in a bunch!   :-\

And I agree on the tiered giveaway.  Seems like that's what Hasbro should be coming up with.  Hopefully that'll the case.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to not come up with anything... again...   >:(

I like your Fan Club membership idea a LOT though.  Now that would be nice!   8)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2003, 10:10 PM »
I have no idea what to do with them. There sill on my cards & boxes & that's were there going to stay.  :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 2, 2003, 10:38 PM »
How about a scale Sandcrawler for 10000 points? ;D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #8 on: May 3, 2003, 01:28 AM »
I have no idea what to do with them. There sill on my cards & boxes & that's were there going to stay.

ditto
dustrho

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 3, 2003, 05:09 PM »
Give me the figure!!!

My hoardes of jedi master points are ready, willing, and able!  Just tell me where the heck to send them (soon)!   8)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 3, 2003, 05:45 PM »
I'm just wishing here, but I'd like to see something we'd never find on a store shelf, something outlandish like a George Lucas (as opposed to Jorg Sacul) figure with camera, or a cut-scene Biggs.

In my heart of hearts though, I don't see Hasbro making it a "Jedi Master Points" exclusive--they'll only be valid with a receipt dated during a certain time frame.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 3, 2003, 11:13 PM »

In my heart of hearts though, I don't see Hasbro making it a "Jedi Master Points" exclusive--they'll only be valid with a receipt dated during a certain time frame.

Grrrrrrrrr. >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.