Author Topic: Online Scammer Gets Caught  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Online Scammer Gets Caught
« on: January 13, 2007, 03:13 AM »
Nothing witty here, I just found this interesting.  There was a guy pulled some major scams repeatedly on the 1:18 military collectors at the forum I visit.  I think a lot of the guys in that hobby aren't all into forums and things, so I feel the guy pulling the scam thought he could manipulate it so he could hit new people in the group routinely...

Here's a link pertaining to this.

What is interesting though is that it got pursued, and apparantly the police actually found the guy with the loot he'd scammed off people for quite some time in this group.  He'd change names and pull the same scam...  Seems like it caught up with him though.  You don't hear about the scammer getting caught often but this may have a happy ending for these guys.  Good for them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Online Scammer Gets Caught
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:57 PM »
Great story to hear. It'd be nice if it happened more often (scammers getting busted that is.)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 08:08 PM »
Yeah it just sort of caught me off-guard when I read it, Anthony, that it was the first time I could recall a toy scammer on a board I visit getting nabbed by the law...  I guess they confiscated a lot of what the guy had in his house too, so some of it may even get returned to its rightful owners.

I don't mean to harp much but I've watched the guy do this, and a lot of it really had to do with the site I visited not having a cohesive and structured feedback guide (and not a lot of staff at the site).  The combination really equates to a place ripe for the pickings by a pseudo-clever person, but this guy wasn't clever enough I guess...  Or he didn't expect them to take it this far.

The other thing was that the guy that contacted the police in Richmond didn't even get taken by the scammer...  He just did it out of the kindness of his own heart to get some action taken on the guy.

You don't hear about happy endings like this when a scammer hits up people at Scum or other SW sites...  I'm surprised it happened for the military boards I visit.  Good for them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 05:48 PM »
That's great news.

I wish this guy from RS would caught:

Two Time RS Scammer

Everyone knows his name, where he works and where he lives; yet he still gets away with two BIG scams! 

As well, paypal and the CC companies know about him so why is he still a free man?

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 06:58 PM »
Because the world sucks, plain and simple. That and the police think they have better things to do, which I'm sure they do, but how many cops just sit in their cars getting speeders that go 3 miles an hour over the limit, I'm sure they could spare 1 to look into it ::)

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 05:50 PM »
Great story Jesse! I linked it over at the scum in the same thread ruiner linked to. Hopefully this will give teh guys who got scammed some ray of hope, and light the fire again to do something about the creep!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent