Author Topic: Hollowing Out Clone Helmet?  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Hollowing Out Clone Helmet?
« on: January 10, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Any Ideas on how to hollow one out?It seems you would hollow it out with a dremel but what about casting?
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Pilot helmet
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Do mean the AOTC version or the ROTS version?  If you mean the AOTC version, you'd probably be better off to just use the Clone Evolutions version that is already hollow.

If you mean ROTS, good luck.  That head is already tiny as it is, no way could a figure's head probably fit inside it, no matter how professional of a job you do.

If you do try it, you will need a dremel.  Good luck!

:P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 04:38 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 04:43 PM »
The ROTS version....I already messed up one so Im a bit "scared".I think I might sculpt a hollow one outta' putty and make a cast of it then cut out the visor.
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Hmmm,

I somehow managed to hollow out the ROTS Clone Pilot Helmet w/  my trusty Dremel.  The tough part is that the Mouth Piece is Glued on to the Helmet and it tends to loosen up during the Process.

I keep my index finger on the Oposite side of the Plastic Piece I'm hollowing out and when I feel the Plastic Start to Stretch From the Preasure of the Dremel I know I've Gone deep enough, This helps me keep from punching through the Plastic and ruining the Piece.

I don't know if everyone should try the technique I use to do this. But I am very comfortable w/ the Dremel tool.

Hope that helps a little.
Fritzkrieg

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 05:43 PM »
Hmmm,

I somehow managed to hollow out the ROTS Clone Pilot Helmet w/  my trusty Dremel.  The tough part is that the Mouth Piece is Glued on to the Helmet and it tends to loosen up during the Process.

I keep my index finger on the Oposite side of the Plastic Piece I'm hollowing out and when I feel the Plastic Start to Stretch From the Preasure of the Dremel I know I've Gone deep enough, This helps me keep from punching through the Plastic and ruining the Piece.

I don't know if everyone should try the technique I use to do this. But I am very comfortable w/ the Dremel tool.

Hope that helps a little.

I usually do the same when I hollow out a helmet. I've really only done one, and it was a POTF2 Royal Guard. If you do tear through alittle bit, patching it isn't too, hard, a liitle epoxy putty will fill the hold nicely.
"This is the way."

Offline Joe

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 05:55 PM »
thanks guys....now what about casting?    lol.
Cheers!

- Joe

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 05:59 PM »
I would cast it before I hollow it out.  Off the top of my head (no pun intended), I'm not sure how to caste a part that is "hollow" per se.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 06:24 PM »
Talk to glassman. here's a link to a some work he did on an oddball custom http://www.ffurg.com/FForums/index.php?s=44ebf4a0035c696218b1360d84f1ffec&act=ST&f=12&t=992&hl= man that took some digging  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 11:45 PM »
I'm not sure what you're asking about casting it exactly...  If you want to cast it, you just do, but at the same time you'll be working with a very delicate hollowing project nonetheless.

If you're meaning casting a hollow cast of the head, it's possible with the right equipment or with the right experience in doing it by hand.  With patience and such you can create incredibly thin, hollow casts, and do so by hand, but it takes patience and practice.  2-part molds to do hollow items tend to be tricky, but they're possible...  It's de-airing the cast that's going to give you fits.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77