Author Topic: Hello...  (Read 5973 times)

Offline exjedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • exjedi.com
Hello...
« on: January 12, 2006, 11:21 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.  I decided to officially sign up here, hoping to get away from a few of the other forums out there that cater to and have been flooded with 10 year olds lately.  Not that there is anything wrong with 10 year olds, I have a 10 year old daughter myself... ;D

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Hello...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 11:42 PM »
Welcome!

Got a first name? We kind of go on a first name basis here.

I'm Kevin. I was on MTV, and I am not 10.

Cheers,

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 11:56 PM »
You just don't want to hang out on the other phone while your 10 year old talks to her friends and interject a comment now and again?  I get ya.

Welcome aboard man, glad to have you unlurking and joining in.  Lots of good conversation in all forums so just jump in where you want and share your thoughts.

Have a good one, and ask any questions you maybe have that come up.  We're here to help.

JJ
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 12:28 AM »
Welcome! My names Alex btw.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline exjedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • exjedi.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 01:01 AM »
Welcome!

Got a first name? We kind of go on a first name basis here.

I'm Kevin. I was on MTV, and I am not 10.

Cheers,

Kevin

Yes, believe it or not I do have a first name, it's Rob.  I wasn't on MTV, but I have been on ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 01:11 AM »
So you were in a major news tragedy at some point?

Good to have another Rob on board.  Our Rob's needed some competition.   (KBZ = our Rob)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 01:12 AM »
Welcome Rob. Be sure to post some of your customs over in the custom section. :)
"This is the way."

Offline exjedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • exjedi.com
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 01:28 AM »
So you were in a major news tragedy at some point?

Yes, my house and unfortunately Star Wars collection, burned down to the ground in 2002.  Fortunately no one was hurt and that's what insurance is for.  ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 03:24 AM »
Oh my, are you serious?  I hope not by the smiley at the end, but I can't help but think it is by the blunt way you said that.  I'm sorry if that's the case man, that truly sucks, and I hope everyone was at least ok, as you said...

Insurance is cool and glad you looked at it that way, but it still must hurt some.  I had no idea though, so I'm sorry for making light.  You went through something pretty ****** my friend, and I'm glad to see you so resillient from it.  That shows character.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 07:32 AM »
Welcome to JD Rob :)  I'm sorry to hear about your house and your collection :'( -- I hope that everyone in your family was alright though. 

BTW -- you don't happen to also go by the name Bilbo do you?

Tracy
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 07:44 AM »
Welcome Rob. Name's Reid, don't wear it out.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 02:35 PM »
Welcome Rob.  Sorry to hear about your collection.  At least you and your family are ok, and that's the truly important thing.

So where do you focus your collecting habits?  Looks like you do some customizing, can't wait to see your work.  I don't customize, but there are some really talented customizers in these forums and I enjoy seeing the fruits of their efforts (even Ryan's on occaision!)
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline exjedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • exjedi.com
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Oh my, are you serious?  I hope not by the smiley at the end, but I can't help but think it is by the blunt way you said that.  I'm sorry if that's the case man, that truly sucks, and I hope everyone was at least ok, as you said...

Insurance is cool and glad you looked at it that way, but it still must hurt some.  I had no idea though, so I'm sorry for making light.  You went through something pretty ****** my friend, and I'm glad to see you so resillient from it.  That shows character.

Nope, it's no joke, wouldn't joke about a thing like that.  I am not superstitious, but I do believe in karma, and joking about that is tempting fate. 

It's all good now, like I said no one was hurt physically.  I managed to re-build my modern collection and I posted some pics in the collection section here.  If you see the pictures, you can see why some people don't believe that I ever missed a beat.  The only items I have yet to replace are my Vinatge items.  I can go buy all the vinatge figures as well, but it's just not quite the same.  The ones I lost were mine from day one, got them for X-mas,  birthdays,  as a kid and they had sentimental value.   There is a local toy show here twice a year and I have been buying 1 vintage figure that's in great shape each time I go, so eventually I'll get there....

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone...

Rob

Offline exjedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • exjedi.com
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 07:52 PM »
Welcome to JD Rob :)  I'm sorry to hear about your house and your collection :'( -- I hope that everyone in your family was alright though. 

Tracy

Bilbo?  Nope, not me.  I am not a big LOTR fan, I like the movies, don't collect the figures and definitely wouldn't choose Bilbo as a nickname.  At least I hope that anyone going by Bilbo is a LOTR fan...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 03:21 AM »

Dammit, Tracy - you beat me to it!  :P (inside joke here at JD)

Anyway, welcome aboard Rob.  Glad to have you stop on in for some mature and intelligent conversation on SW collecting, among other things.  It's a refreshing change of pace and attitude in here, as I'm sure you'll soon discover.  So kick up your feet and enjoy.  Looking forward to chatting with you 'round here.  Holler if you've got any questions!

- Matt

P.S.  Really sorry to hear about that fire.  I've often wondered what I'd ever do if something like that happened.  Considering it's taken nearly 30 years to get to where I'm at right now, I couldn't even imagine trying to rebuild.  Did you have a special collectibles type of insurance policy, or was your stuff just under your normal insurance?  I've been meaning to look into the collectibles insurance for a while now, but have been too lazy so far...