Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 358854 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2006, 10:47 AM »
Target also had two of these on the shelf at the same 69.99 price tag, so if you're not buying this because of TRU's 90 buck price, check out WM or Target for a bit lower price. :)

I paid $180 :o for the Takara version that comes with the trailer.  I thought this would be superior compared to the US release, but I was wrong.   Somethings wrong with his left leg so I can't transform him into truck mode. >:(  I've never had to dissect a toy to find out how it works, and I'm upset that I have to do it on one of the most expensive toys I've bought in some time.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2006, 05:12 PM »
Somethings wrong with his left leg so I can't transform him into truck mode. >:( 

I've been having a similar problem with mine.  The right leg's little tank button works just fine, but the left leg seems to be sticking on something.  Somehow when I wiggle the leg/knee joint a little bit and kick the wall three times (seriously, it's THAT random that it works), the leg retracts and I can transform him into the truck.  My point being that either it's a weird coincidence or the Hasbro version has the same design flaw.

The local TRU is doing a sale on the Cybertron deluxe assortment (7.99), but for some reason decided that 10.99 wasn't enough for the Classics Deluxe, so they've been cranked up to 12.99.  I guess if they're going to lose 2 dollars on one assortment, they need to make 2 dollars on another assortment.  ::)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2006, 05:35 PM »
WoW.  That's pretty sad.  For such and expensive toy, be it the Takara version or Hasbro's - you'd think they would have addressed this issue especially since it's Primes second release in both markets.

DP - what do you mean by kicking the wall??  With the actual toy?  Are you crazy?  I've just about broken his leg off trying to get it to retract. 

This just isn't "prime."
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2006, 10:44 AM »
DP - what do you mean by kicking the wall??  With the actual toy?  Are you crazy?  I've just about broken his leg off trying to get it to retract. 

Oh no, I didn't meant it literally.  I was just referring to how randomly mine's leg would retract.  I don't know why I chose the leg metaphor.  I guess I could have said something different like "...wiggle the leg and spin around in a circle three times while singing songs from 'Oklahoma!'" to communicate the randomness of the whole leg transformation dealie.  ;D

So GOD NO, I'd never beat a toy against the wall with my foot to get it to operate. :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2006, 01:28 PM »
You guys have me afraid to buy any MP or 20th Prime now.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2006, 09:06 AM »
You guys have me afraid to buy any MP or 20th Prime now.  :)

Ya, kinda hard to return a toy to Japan.  Well, I tried DP's method with non luck so I took apart his leg.  Yay! - I thought to myself.  Anyway it still wont let me get at the spring assembly inside the "gas barrel" so I have to take his leg off EVERYTIME I want to transform him from robot to cab

I finally got some help on TFANS.com, but the guy said to take the leg off and sand down the offending clip or use sticky tape?  BS!!  This is supposed to be a "MASTERPIECE".  Ya, master piece of ****!

It's not fun playing doctor with such an expensive toy btw.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2006, 07:00 PM »
It's not fun playing doctor with such an expensive toy btw.

I guess that all depends on the toy and the lady.  ;D

I ended up returning my 20th Prime to WM earlier this afternoon.  The more I sat and looked at it (and the more I read about this being a widespread problem with the toy itself), the less I was able to justify keeping it.  Thankfully WM gave me a refund and marked it as "DEFECTIVE", so I'm hoping the bad press comes to Hasbro's attention.

Oh what the hell am I saying?  They don't care!  :-\

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2006, 08:35 PM »
I just bought one, in spite of the bad press I've read here and elsewhere. I was pleased that mine transforms A-OK, but the right leg is a little loose in bot mode at the knee.

I think there might be some disappointed kids at Christmas if they get this big guy. And if a lot of parents return it as defective, that should help to get Hasbro's attention.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 4, 2006, 01:59 AM »
I picked up Classics Megatron today. I know that it's said that the reason his colors are so funny is because of toy safety laws (which I think is BS, since I've seen some realistic looking guns at TRU before), but this guy could be one of the greatest TFs ever if his purple parts were gray or black, and that stupid green on his wings was red.

But other than that, this is a great toy. I think they killed their chances at a Galvatron repaint by putting all that purple on this Megatron, though.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 4, 2006, 11:11 AM »
WoW.  That's pretty sad.  For such and expensive toy, be it the Takara version or Hasbro's - you'd think they would have addressed this issue especially since it's Primes second release in both markets.

This just isn't "prime."

I had a similar problem with my original 20th Ann Prime. I eventually just played around with it and got it to work. It was such a pain to get it into truck mode and I didn't even like the way it looked so I said F-it and decided to leave it in robot mode. It looks 10000 times better that way. This reason alone is why I never broke down and bought the trailer when they offered it seperately. Speaking of the trailer, how is it? Does it open up like the old school one. Does it come with Roller?

As for the Classics line, I really like them but just haven't picked any up yet. I'm holding out for Grimlock and Mirage then i'll nab Starscream and maybe Hot Rod. I wasn't too impressed with the others...
« Last Edit: November 4, 2006, 11:14 AM by Madcow »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 4, 2006, 05:06 PM »
The trailer is pretty sweet actually and is pretty much like the original except it's twice as big obviously.  They added "shocks" to the rear wheels the back of the trailer has an added brake light bar, double opening doors, and a fold down ramp.  No roller, but it's still got that thing inside (never new what it was that unfolds with the arm and satellite thing.)  Here is where I store a piece from Prime's inner leg that I can't figure out where to attach it to.  It's also got slots inside to store Prime's gun, axe, and Megs.  Oh, can't forget the side leg things that fold out from underneath the trailer when you open it (just like G1)  No stickers, but the inside has tons of raised mechanical details etched into it.

Well, I guess the most important thing is that you can fit an ALT/Binaltech inside the trailer.  Sweet!  Anyway...I won't buy another "Masterpiece" again.  This was it.  In fact, I'm happier with the trailer than I am with Prime himself..   :-\

Classics have been sitting in my trunk for the past three weeks.  I've got waaay too much SW stuff to get through before I crack them open.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 6, 2006, 10:01 AM »
Wow that trailer sounds AWESOME!  :o i'll have to hold off though...

Has anyone bought the WST Dinobot reissues? They're really cheap and seem to be extremly accurate to the original G1s. I'm tempted to grab Grimlock and Snarl, the only 2 I originally had as a kid...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 8, 2006, 02:09 AM »
Wal-Mart's aggressive markdown tactics have spread to the Transformers Classics Deluxes. I was there tonight and found the pegs marked at $7.62 or something. Only a lone Astrotrain remained, so somebody feeling the love there.

20th Prime wasn't marked down, and this particular store didn't have any Voyager-sized figures, so I don't think those will be marked down. (Though if that 20th Prime gets marked waaay down before Christmas, I'm gonna be pissed.)

EDIT- I've found out that cheap price is actually for Cybertron toys, not Classics. Ooops.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2006, 01:50 AM by inadvertent imitation »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 8, 2006, 12:37 PM »
How's your 20th Prime been holding up?  And what's the deal with the price difference on these things??  I saw Target at $69.99 then TRU has them for $89.99...Quite a price difference there and they don't seem to be moving at either retailer.  I hope I can find one on clearance so that I can use it for parts. 

Note: I hate Wal-Mart.  The only time I'll be visiting that store anytime soon is for the final TSC figures, oh and the Devastator giftset.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 8, 2006, 10:37 PM »
So far, so good on the 20th Prime. I only transformed him to truck once, and back to robot mode. He's been sitting on a shelf with my Alts, so no problems there.

I don't know why TRU is charging so much for theirs. Not like it matters, Prime is sitting everywhere else. I theorize that TRU might have a big price cut on it, and if they do, they can make the customer think they're getting a great deal if, say, they lowered the price to $60. The customer thinks they're getting $30 off, but it's only about $10 when compared to the competition.

Has anyone bought a Masterpiece Starscream? I'm curious on that one, but not quite $100 worth of curious.