Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 360107 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers
« Reply #555 on: July 24, 2007, 03:38 PM »
I just had to thank everyone for the advice on the classics line.  I was placing an order for a few SW figs through HTS, so I threw a Classics Bumblebee in the cart to give them a try.  After opening it up and displaying it on my desk, I'm really happy with it.  Like many of you said, its just such a nice update on the G1 line.  The face/head sculpt of Bumblebee reminds me of the cartoon I grew up with, along with the "heat activated" sticker on his chest.  That brings back some memories as well.  Anyways, I really like it, and I'm really giving thought to going to our local TRU or Wal-Mart to pick up the Optimus Prime as well.  I like the movie ones too, and was thinking about getting Ironhide next (I have early Camaro Bumblebee and the Robo Vision Prime), but now I'm not sure which way to go.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 24, 2007, 04:30 PM »
You reallly can't go wrong with Ironhide IMO.  I've been back with Transformers since RID - 2001 and he's easily one of my favorites from all lines since then.  The stacks were shortened a bit ala G1 Prime, but it's no big deal as he totally makes up for it in his bot mode.  He just looks bad-assish and evil even though he's one of the good guys.  Arms are a bit limited in movement, and they put up a fight with me when I first tried to get him back to his alt mode the first few times.

Classics Prime is cool, just not my favorite version of him.  He's a very solid toy though - just not worth the $20 due to his size.....The only issue you might have with him would be the "arm tabs" or the windows of the cab....A trailer wouldn't have hurt either.  I remember seeing him and the UltraMagnus/Skywarp sets on clearance at Target for $5.

I hope you - or any of the other guys that haven't bought TF's in years don't plan on going back to pick up G1 stuff....It's fun and all, but it's a long, long, expensive path.  Plus prices on Ebay on this stuff is a bit high right now (obviously) 

Classics v2.0 (Universe) or whatever sounds really interesting and I can't wait to see what the new cartoon stuff will look like compared to the art pic we've seen.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 24, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Some dude won 3 Pepsi Primes  >:(
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 24, 2007, 08:22 PM »
how much do the untransformable transformers sell for in the States? i saw a bumblebee and thought it looked really good but $22 seemed pretty unrealistic (comic shop of course) so im just wondering the price difference.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 24, 2007, 10:28 PM »
how much do the untransformable transformers sell for in the States? i saw a bumblebee and thought it looked really good but $22 seemed pretty unrealistic (comic shop of course) so im just wondering the price difference.

I've seen them at both K-Mart ($10.99) and Wal-Mart ($9.88).

Offline Aucassin

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 24, 2007, 11:41 PM »
I picked up the generation 1 Soundwave re-issue. How can you tell the original from the re-issue?

Did you get it at TRU? I need to check the store near me. I really don't want to have to try to get in on ebay.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 25, 2007, 12:51 PM »
Found the "2-way" Unleashed Prime at a TRU last night...Wasn't too impressed with him so he stayed behind.  Oh, TRU also took down the massive TF display in the front of the store...oh is well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:53 PM by iFett »

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 25, 2007, 01:32 PM »
Found the "2-way" Unleashed Prime at a TRU last night...Wasn't too impressed with him so he stayed behind.  Oh, TRU also took down the massive TF display in the front of the store...oh is well.

I saw this yesterday as well (also at TRU).  Not only was I not that impressed with the look of it, I really wasn't impressed with the $29.99 price tag.  Damn!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 25, 2007, 07:02 PM »
Count me third in the "Saw Unleashed Prime But Not Impressed" brigade.  I really don't know what Hasbro is getting at with the Unleashed brand these days.  Their rampant price increases on only slightly modified SW figures in fancy packaging has been catalogued ad nauseum (and frequently by yours truly), and it seems like right out of the gate, they're intentionally screwing up the TF UL line.  Bumblebee is a great piece, albeit overpriced by five bucks or so, and Prime just looks, feels, and seems cheaply made, cheaply designed, and poorly executed.  And then they go and jack the price on it up!   I can't help thinking they could have spent that time and money on something people might actually think about buying like, oh, I don't know, more G1 Robot Heroes?  A Voyager or Leader Class Bonecrusher (okay, so that's just me...)?

TRU did take their front-of-store display down fairly quickly, although I guess when your full pegs of Proto Starscreams and Primes aren't selling after two months, it probably looks like TF toys in general aren't doing so well.  If anything, the actual movie toys (Deluxe, Voyager, and Leader classes) are doing exceptionally well unless your name is "Swindle", and it's the ancillary stuff like the "Cyber Slammers" that aren't selling at all. 

Just an update for the interested parties:  Target's apparently going to be doing their reset at the beginning of August and Ultimate Bumblebee is going to be the feature item on an endcap.  No word on price, or if Target will actually bother to do the reset on time, but Ultimate BB is supposed to be there.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #564 on: July 26, 2007, 09:06 AM »
Count me third in the "Saw Unleashed Prime But Not Impressed" brigade. 

Me Fourth !!!!

But it did make me appreciate the Bumble Bee alot more... I really liked it when I saw it again.

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 26, 2007, 02:59 PM »
i was debating on getting the movie leader optimus and megatron and i was just wondering if anyone knew if they were realy worth spending $40 for each of them.
Momar and Fester

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 26, 2007, 09:24 PM »
i was debating on getting the movie leader optimus and megatron and i was just wondering if anyone knew if they were realy worth spending $40 for each of them.

As far as Prime is concerned, ABSOLUTELY.  Great sculpt, great detailing, great articulation, challenging yet relatively easy transformation...an altogether great toy.  Buy it now, you won't be disappointed.

Megatron, well, if you liked the movie version of him (which I did), he's worth picking up.  The alt mode is a little iffy due to the legs hanging off the underside of the wings and the battery pack/jet tail, but overall, it's a nice toy.  Unlike Prime, though, I hesitate to say he's a must buy.  If you liked the movie and if you buy the Leader Prime and like it as much as I do, I'd think Megatron would be an eventual purchase just to have the old rivalry be complete on your shelf.  :)

Wave Four Movie Deluxes are supposedly out at Wal-Marts and Targets.  These include Final Battle Jazz, Payload (the Decepticon Bank Truck), and Longarm (the Autobot Tow Truck).  I might see them next year should the army of Swindles at my local Wal-Mart decide to disband.  ::)

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 26, 2007, 11:06 PM »

As far as Prime is concerned, ABSOLUTELY.  Great sculpt, great detailing, great articulation, challenging yet relatively easy transformation...an altogether great toy.  Buy it now, you won't be disappointed.

Megatron, well, if you liked the movie version of him (which I did), he's worth picking up.  The alt mode is a little iffy due to the legs hanging off the underside of the wings and the battery pack/jet tail, but overall, it's a nice toy.  Unlike Prime, though, I hesitate to say he's a must buy.  If you liked the movie and if you buy the Leader Prime and like it as much as I do, I'd think Megatron would be an eventual purchase just to have the old rivalry be complete on your shelf.  :)

Wave Four Movie Deluxes are supposedly out at Wal-Marts and Targets.  These include Final Battle Jazz, Payload (the Decepticon Bank Truck), and Longarm (the Autobot Tow Truck).  I might see them next year should the army of Swindles at my local Wal-Mart decide to disband.  ::)
thanks for the help
Momar and Fester

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 28, 2007, 08:15 AM »
Received my PepsiPrime the other day...Box is minty fresh....still pissed about the stacks though

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 29, 2007, 02:03 PM »
Not sure how many states actually have Big Lots stores, but....stopped by today and they had the Superion, Defensor, and Devastator knock-offs for $6 a piece.  Not a bad price considering you can't even get an original single piece to any set for that price.