Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 360219 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers
« Reply #810 on: April 2, 2008, 10:47 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Transformers shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of the Alternators line?  Those things always sold out at the stores I hit and I bought close to every one of them even at $20 a pop.  Seems like a pretty strong seller - why walk away from it?  Now I buy zero transformers unless the fit with the quality/scale of my alt line.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: April 3, 2008, 09:30 AM »
You know, I was just looking around at BBTS yesterday and noticed that all of the Classics line (the previously released ones) have really received a price jump.  They seem to be pretty much gone from HTS as well.  Have these really become "hot" now or something (although some have always been tough finds)?

Anyways, I'm not as familiar with TF news as many of you, but I know that "classics" is coming back later this year (under the Universe banner, right?).  Has there been any mention of re-releasing some of the older figures in this line?  I'm not a big TF collector, but did pick up the Classics Prime and Bumblebee, and really liked them.  They remind me of the toys/toon when I was a kid.  Anyways, I wouldn't mind getting a couple of others, preferrably like Megatron/Starscream to balance the whole good guy/bad guy dynamic, but I know they are pretty pricey.  I was just curious if there was any talk of those making a comeback in the new line.  Also, what is all confirmed so far for the new classics (I seem to remember Sideswipe and Sunstreaker).  I might have to pick up Sideswipe if I'm right about that one, he was my first Transformer (at least larger one) and a favorite of mine as a kid.

Also, TFormers has some pics of the upcoming Animated figures, for those interested.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2008, 09:38 AM by Brian »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 3, 2008, 05:56 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Transformers shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of the Alternators line?  Those things always sold out at the stores I hit and I bought close to every one of them even at $20 a pop.

I certainly don't.  There was more than enough of these things sitting on the shelves constantly with the exception of a few characters.  These were very complex in the transformations so that probably led the kiddies away even though the ALTs were obviously aimed at collectors. 

Hasbro was also running out of ideas for cars, with Prime being the only execption as one of the larger vehicles and Screamer to some degree, but he wasn't marketed as an ALT.  Takara/Tomy is starting to reboot the Binaltech line with a repaint of Decipticharge as Arcee, and I think a yellow Prime.

There's still a few vintage characters they could touch on, but look at the last two releases - Ravage & Rumble?  Those were tapes...Not automobiles.  I would love to see this line continue, but I think it's been put to bed.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: April 3, 2008, 09:52 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks Transformers shot themselves in the foot by getting rid of the Alternators line?  Those things always sold out at the stores I hit and I bought close to every one of them even at $20 a pop.

I certainly don't.  There was more than enough of these things sitting on the shelves constantly with the exception of a few characters.  These were very complex in the transformations so that probably led the kiddies away even though the ALTs were obviously aimed at collectors. 

Hasbro was also running out of ideas for cars, with Prime being the only execption as one of the larger vehicles and Screamer to some degree, but he wasn't marketed as an ALT.  Takara/Tomy is starting to reboot the Binaltech line with a repaint of Decipticharge as Arcee, and I think a yellow Prime.

There's still a few vintage characters they could touch on, but look at the last two releases - Ravage & Rumble?  Those were tapes...Not automobiles.  I would love to see this line continue, but I think it's been put to bed.

Well, I agree with a lot of those points, but I never thought Ravage or Rumble should be in this line - would have much rather seen runabout and runamuck.  I would have liked to see a few more of the autobots - some kind of smaller compact for the little guys like Bumblebee and more of the bigger G1 guys like Red Alert.   Thing is, these fit perfectly with the masterpiece line, so if you want more decpticons, this helps oen the door for a bigger Soundwave, the tapes, Shockwave, Seekers, etc.  :-\  I guess I shouldn't complain - this is one more line I don't have to spend big bucks on. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 4, 2008, 03:01 PM »
That Metroplex KO repaint looks cool. 

I received the Masterpiece Prime a few weeks ago and ever since I've been on a small G1 buying spree.  I started with Fortress Maximus.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2008, 07:23 PM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: April 5, 2008, 12:48 PM »
I just got back from Target where they had stocked the "Premium" (read: film-accurate) versions of Blackout and Ironhide.  Ironhide didn't look different enough to warrant a purchase (he was just shinier and had some painted wear detail on the windows), but I did pick up Blackout, who is significantly more detailed than the original version.  I haven't opened him yet, but the alt mode looks really nice (and the mini-Scorponok is painted this time around!).

Wal-Mart is choking on the "All Spark" neon crap right now, and has a ton of their exclusive repaints.  Who in their right mind actually thought "BIG DADDY" was a good name for a TF?  I mean, I can see some of the white trash folk seeing it and going "WHOOO BIG DADDY!" but other than that...  :P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #816 on: April 5, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Big Daddy was based on a G1 Micromaster who apparently suffered from small-man syndrome. Plus, he uses that truly great Cybertron Downshift mold.

I passed on this guy a few weeks ago, because I was saving for vacation, and I kind of regret it now.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 5, 2008, 05:03 PM »
I passed on this guy a few weeks ago, because I was saving for vacation, and I kind of regret it now.

I never pass up a WM exclusive "IF" I am fortunate enough to come across one.  It's the only reason why I step foot inside their stores.  I still can't believe that none of my WM's ever stocked MP Screamer.  Thank god for friends.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 21, 2008, 06:16 PM »
SDCC 08 Exclusive Nemesis Prime

I can probably live without it, but I may cave if HTS.com doesn't pull stuff out of my cart this year.   ::)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: April 21, 2008, 09:08 PM »
SDCC 08 Exclusive Nemesis Prime

I can probably live without it, but I may cave if HTS.com doesn't pull stuff out of my cart this year.   ::)

Pass.  Didn't someone post news about an upcomming masterpiece Grimlock a while back?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: April 21, 2008, 10:11 PM »
Didn't someone post news about an upcomming masterpiece Grimlock a while back?

That'd be me Justin.  I'll chime into this thread when/if everything pans out. 

Did you pick up Megs yet?  You may still think he's a buck too high, but he's completely worth it im my book.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: April 21, 2008, 10:24 PM »
Didn't someone post news about an upcomming masterpiece Grimlock a while back?

That'd be me Justin.  I'll chime into this thread when/if everything pans out. 

Did you pick up Megs yet?  You may still think he's a buck too high, but he's completely worth it im my book.

I am not buying Megs you MP Pusher!   ;D  Only getting my faavorites and only if they're South of $100.  Grimlock, Shockwave, maybe a bigger Soundwave and cassettes are all I need for my remaining Tformer collection.   ;)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: April 21, 2008, 10:39 PM »
I am not buying Megs you MP Pusher!   ;D  Only getting my faavorites and only if they're South of $100.  Grimlock, Shockwave, maybe a bigger Soundwave and cassettes are all I need for my remaining Tformer collection.   ;)

I can't see MP Soundwave being made simply because the cassettes would be WAY too big, but I do believe Grimlock is on the way.

*buy MP Megs*  You'll be happy you did.  He's only going to jump in value once they stop making him.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: April 22, 2008, 12:51 AM »
I don't know about MP Megs. I bought one from the first run, and the feet are insanely loose already. I never transformed mine, either. I'm pretty disappointed about that, especially since it cost me so much money and it requires a doll stand just to be displayed.

But, like iFett said, he's only going to get more expensive. He is necessary for a complete MP display, he's just not the best TakaraTomy has to offer. Maybe mine is just a bad one.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: April 22, 2008, 12:55 AM »
I just got a notice from BBTS that my MP-3 Coronation Upgrade set has arrived and is sitting in my Pile O' Loot. Just a heads-up for those who preordered.