Author Topic: Battle of Hoth Wave  (Read 59684 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Battle of Hoth Wave
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2005, 03:56 AM »

Yeah, Derlin and Veers are certainly the highlight of this wave, so kudos to Hasbro for knocking those two highly demanded figures off finally.

What the hell did they have to put Vader and R2 into the HOTH wave for though?  That's completely lame (and yes, I understand Hasbro's reasoning - supposedly for the kids and new collectors).  Though I dig the Gonk Droid, I find his inclusion here strange as well.  Can someone find him in the Hoth scene and stick a screen cap in here for us?

But where, oh where, is a resculpted (non-midget) Hoth Rebel Trooper for God's sake?!  That's a serious oversight to not include one here, when the prior one(s) were so terrible.  How do kids (or collectors) have a battle of Hoth with only Derlin and Rieekan?  ::)

Overall, I'd say this wave rather stinks.  But the inclusion of Veers and Derlin is certainly a step in the right direction, and gives me some hope for some all-new figures in future TSC waves...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 04:05 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2005, 04:07 AM »
Looking good!

Veers- From what I can tell, Veers takes the cake. He looks excellent. I can't wait to add a few of him to my collection.

Derlin- I had a customized a version of im awhile back. I'll definitely be replacing that POS with this version. I am disappointed the articulation isn't better though.

The Gonk was a total supprise. I wouldn't have expected one of these, and it certainly wasn't on my list of Hothfigures, but it looks very well done, even for a repaint with a little hat thing. I'll be picking up a couple.

AT-AT Driver- I really like this new version, the old one was ok and wasn't in dire need of a resculpt, I'd have rather seen a SA Snowspeeder Luke, but oh well. This figure looks great, I'll be picking up a small army.

Repacks- That does appear to be the VOTC Vader which is very cool, maybe Hasbro is at least learning to repack the best sculpt of a particular character. I'm interested what R2 body they used, I might pick him up if it is one the ROTS SP body. As for Reeikan, whatever, I have him, I may nab a few for customizing purposes but I don't need more than that. The Snowtrooper sucks as bad now as it did in 2003, I really wish they would have redone this one instead of the AT-AT driver. Oh well, I guess I'll be buying quite a few less army builders.

Jesse, your pic isn't working BTW.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2005, 04:18 AM »
Fixed it, but Matt's got one on the new page anyway. :)

Matt,

The Gonk is on Hoth...  I can't post a cap, but trust me man.  Complete with the top "fueling nozels" thingies.  He's tromping around the hangar floor, but you gotta look close.

To me...  The wave's a mixed bag of collecting emotion...  The characters have me slap-happy to get, as Derlin's been somewhere in the middle on my lists for a figure, and Veers has been at the top.

Like I said though in my first post, the articulation's a let-down.  First, while I think the AT-AT Driver looks nice I'm disappointed that HE is who they decide to go ape**** on with articulation.  He's cool but I was pretty happy with the POTF2 and this figure doesn't look terribly different to me.  It wasn't a figure I wanted resculpted really and so he sorta feels like a "waste" to me in that he got so much attention but yet the 2 figures I was really wanting got short-changed a bit.

I'm ok with the angle-cut elbow joints which is what Derlin definitely has and Veers appears to have.  That's fine, but the lack of knee articulation on both disappoints me.  Ball/socket knees ala the Cantina wave of figures (and tons of ROTS figures) would've been appreciated on Veers since he's basically a generic officer too really...  On Derlin I would've dug the knees because he's an army builder in my book.  I'd dig a head variant (no mustache) on this one actually.

I'm assuming Veers' armor is removable.  It looks it in the picture, but I'm just assuming it is.

The Gonk's really cool to me, and appreciated...

Riekean is the mystery in the set...  He wasn't a $10 to begin with, but without his board he isn't much of a $5 figure either.  Hasbro could pack him with something other than a blaster to make him "worth it" but he's still a boring figure overall.  Vader and R2 I can understand, and just as easily pass on.  If I see VOTC figs hit basic cards though I'm definitely gonna have my hopes (expectations) high for the VOTC Stormtrooper to see its much-deserved re-release to a basic card.

Retire that ******* Cantina Han and Commtech Stormtrooper already and finally put out the GOOD versions of those two figures with the VOTC sculpts. 

Honestly, on the Vader you could make the gripe that the Evolutions figure is vastly superior.  It really is, but just to see something of the VOTC Vader on a regular card gives me simple hope to see VOTC Stormtroopers in droves at some point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2005, 04:41 AM »
Matt,

The Gonk is on Hoth...  I can't post a cap, but trust me man.  Complete with the top "fueling nozels" thingies.  He's tromping around the hangar floor, but you gotta look close.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I doubted it was there, Jess.  I figured it probably was, somewhere in the hangar or halls of Echo Base.  I just think it's strange to include that over a new, and much more needed, Hoth Rebel Soldier.

I dig the Gonk, don't get me wrong.  Any droid is cool with me, especially when it's slightly revised like this one is.  I'll pick up a few, for sure.  While we're at it, where the heck's the R2 & 3PO with the light snow dusting treatment like Vader got last year?!  :P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2005, 05:11 AM »
VOTC R2 with Snow would make some sense given his sensorscope too...  3PO, well I'd have taken the ROTS sculpt with some snow "dusting".  I'm in for those.

But anyway I agree that a Rebel Soldier's more needed but knowing Hasbro, if you asked them that question they'd say "We just did one".

And then they'd ignore you while you explained to them what an utter piece of **** that figure was...  Or they'd say, "Well we just put one out and it sold bad so we're not gonna do that again"....  because god forbid they see that a poor quality toy doesn't sell.   ::)

For my money, the Snowtrooper and Hoth Rebel Footsoldier are both the most needed resculpts of the Hoth figures if you ask me...  They're in my top 10 figure want list overall even.  The Snowtrooper's in dire need of super articulation, or a figure AT LEAST the quality of the Clone Commander #33.  The Hoth Rebel could sport super articulation and even a hidden ball/socket torso joint due to the outfit.  No good army builders exist for Hoth though and I agree that it sucks not to see them in the mix...  I wasn't expecting them at this point though with the Saga sculpts being probably "too new" for Hasbro to put out others so soon.  I'm hoping at some point in the not-too-distant-future they do revisit both figures with SA, and some head variants for the Rebel would be ideal.

I'll be army building (slightly) on Derlin though and Veers I'll likely pick quite a few up if he has his kepi too...  To me that's the best "generic" Officer they've ever done.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2005, 08:25 AM »
Oh baby!  What a great surprise to wake up and see this on the front page this morning!  Woo Hoo!!!

Riekken - I think this repack is a mistake... better be one per case.

R2D2 - I don't have any problems with this popular character being repacked.

Snowtrooper - Fine with me, I like this sculpt - give me about 3-4 more of these probably.

Vader - Again, I don't mind Vader being repacked.  Vader usually sells well and this is a great sculpt of him.

Gonk - That looks outstanding.  I love it... such a surprise too!  I would like to get 3-4 of him... wonder if he comes with an extra accessory or anything?

Derlin - I love it!  I just wish he had knee articulation... but to me he's an army-builder, and a well sculpted one at that. 

Veers - Another beautiful figure... looks like he has a removable chest plate, and I'm sure the helmet comes off too... how about a little holo Vader to come with him too?

AT-AT Driver - The best of the wave I think... wow!  That's one hell of a sculpt, and I'm thinking he has knee articulation probably... woo hoo!

:P

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2005, 09:22 AM »
Just a quick comment/observation (which is probably wrong): are we sure that's the VOTC Vader or is it the 500th Vader with a solid head?  The leg stance looks pretty different from the VOTC Vader to me, but I don't have either of them in front of me so I could be wrong.   ???

Quick comments on the other figures:

-Veers: looks great, although I'm wondering if he's using Ozzel's arms

-Derlin: Cliff Clavin in action figure form.  I'm happy. :)

-AT-AT Driver: looks cool, but the torso looks a little long to me.  Maybe it's just the angle/photo.  Also, is that the strap harness thing from the Gold Leader figure?

-R2-D2: meh.  Pass.

-Snowtrooper:  already got one.  Pass.

-Riekkan:  already got one and it wasn't so hot to begin with.  Pass.

-Vader:  looks like a rehash so pass.

-Gonk Droid:  I can confirm what Jesse is saying about him being in the hangar on Hoth (just because I found myself saying, "What the hell is on Gonk's head?"), and as long as this one can stand on its own, I'll pick it up.

So it looks like a "straight down the middle" wave again: 4 definites and 4 easy passes.  Hasbro: Saving Openers Money in 2006. :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2005, 09:30 AM »
This was definitely a nice surprise this morning, a peek at some more new figures.  I actually like this wave overall, although there are a few figures I'm disappointed we're not seeing.  To me, there is just so much from Hoth that could be made and I would like to see.  Anyways, of the now confirmed figures:

Rieekan - Got the overpriced Ultra one, and it might be a strange choice for a repack.  At least he'll only be $4-5 this time around, but this one reeks of pegwarming.  Pass for me, but good for others who missed/skipped him last time.

R2-D2 - We all have plenty of R2s, but if it is indeed the VOTC version, that is encouraging as Jesse mentioned.  If this (and Vader) are VOTC repacks, I really hope Hasbro follows this trend and re-releases figures like VOTC Han, Stormie, and Chewie instead of their POTF2/Commtech versions.  I'll probably pass unless it has some sort of different deco when released.

Snowtrooper - I'm really disappointed we didn't get an all-new, SA sculpt for this one...but not surprised that we didn't I guess.  I might pick up a couple more though, I've been wanting some more (just have 1 right now), but was holding off for a new sculpt.  I wasn't really thrilled with this version of the figure, still holding out for a new version down the road.

Vader - Same as R2, it is interesting to me if it is the VOTC version.  If that is the case, I might pick up an extra at $5.  Also, I hope this is the start of a trend of releasing the "best version" of repacks, instead of Commtechs, Saga Fetts, and the other usual suspects.  If they have to repack a Vader, this looks like a good choice.

Gonk - Really surprised by this figure, but it is kind of neat.  I'll pick it up, and now pay closer attention in ESB where it shows up ;).

Derlin - I'm really excited about this figure, and aside from some lacking leg articulation, it looks fantastic.  Can't wait to get it.

Veers - Great figure here too, and one that I've wanted to get for awhile now.  I just about picked up that Hoth battle set to get the older one, but I'm glad I waited.  This looks to be a nice figure, and I thought it looked like removable armor as well like Jesse mentioned.

AT-AT Driver - I'm also quite psyched for this figure.  I never got the POTF2 version, and decided to wait and see if we got a new one in this wave...luckily, we did.  It looks to be a real nice figure, maybe SA even.  I'll get a few, and I'm really glad we're getting an all new one.  Now bring on the new SA versions of the Snowtroopers and Hoth Rebel Soldiers!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2005, 10:18 AM »
Wow, what a great wave.

I am totally amazed that they didn't throw last year's Hoth Luke or Hoth Trooper in here as one of the repacks.  I guess Vader and R2 are in there only to get some main characters in there.   :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2005, 10:28 AM »
I'm happy about Veers and Derlin.  Nice job there.

But why, why, why, did Hasbro throw that piece of crap '95 Veers figure into that overpriced "exclusive" Hoth 5-pack if this is coming?  What, did they just want to purge the last vestiges of the crappy Veers from their warehouse and make us pay an "exclusive" price for it?  Seems really stupid to me.  A bunch of suits were sitting around a table placing bets on how many of this figure they could sneak into our collections between the amount of AT ATs we bought and the TRU 5-pack.

Also, it seems to me that Hasbro is showing us here what they can do with figures like Veers and Derlin, but then they regress and throw the same snowtrooper into this wave, which really needs a lot of work. 

Overall, the wave doesn't get a failing grade, but it gets a D.  No Hoth Rebel trooper.  (And someone should have been fired over that SAGA release that had rickets).  They give us Veers after making us pay an exclusive price for the old crappy one.  They show us 2 sweet figures, then include an old snowtrooper.  I would have rather them put the work into the snowtrooper than the AT AT driver.  Riekken "deluxe" figures are still hanging around at some TRUs at full price, I hardly see the need for this basic carded one.

EDIT, bah, upgraded to C-. 

But I'm still sick to death of seeing R2 and Vader.  Enough already.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 10:30 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2005, 11:02 AM »
I wonder if the Rieekan will come with the Tactical Map for a pack-in?  If so, everyone got hosed on that DLX price.

I dont mind him being released so much since there are a ton of pack-ins I would like to see carded individually.  This gives me hope that Amanaman may still end up on a basic card.  Though overproduced I think it would look sharp on one of those black cardbacks.  But i'm in the minority so it dont matter much. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2005, 11:37 AM »
I wonder if the Rieekan will come with the Tactical Map for a pack-in?  If so, everyone got hosed on that DLX price.

I think we got hosed regardless.  Amanaman, 300th Fett are also in there.  And don't get me started on Target exclusive 3 3/4" figs.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2005, 11:57 AM »
These 2006 waves are not impressing me so far.  I'll buy me the Clavin figure, Veers and possibly the AT AT Driver, but that's all I need from this wave.  Hasbro is screwing up by going the cheap route and regressing on the articulation.  Why spoil us this year and go backwards next year?  Cheapness will cost them sales.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 11:59 AM by John C »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2005, 12:21 PM »
Some winners here and of course, some losers.  It's nice (from a collector POV) that they didn't repack Han and Luke.

From a kid's perspective, it might've made sense - really, no one is going to buy Reiken so I'd rather see a Luke or Han in Hoth gear warming the pegs vs. a boring character that both collectors or kids don't want.

I love the new AT-AT driver as well as the Derlin figure.  I could've lived without Veers and I'm disappointed that we are not getting an 'ultimate' version of the snowtrooper.

Maybe a new Leia Hoth would've fit the bill better than R2 or the Gonk droid?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 12:21 PM by ruiner »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2005, 01:15 PM »
Again, a wave I'm only interested in 50% of. I'm definetely buying Veers, Derlin, Gonk, and the AT-AT Driver, but the rest I just don't care about. I might get a few more Snowtroopers for army building's sake.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk