Author Topic: Battle of Hoth Wave  (Read 60239 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Battle of Hoth Wave
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2005, 07:45 AM »
They're an interesting mix but I keep hoping you're right Spuffy about them being potentially from another era of quality.  Not to say they're bad at all, I love Derlin and Veers overall, but I'm still have some gripes...  Namely, the knee joints kill me.  The Cantina wave was SO perfect, they should have just made htis a standard...  Especially when you know Veers is going to be as good as an army builder to many.  Same with Derlin.  I know I already want a bunch to put new heads onto him.  I'm also disappointed in Veers' hat not being removable.  I'm more irked about that because of the customizing potential it would have given me though.  At the end of the day it's a flaw in my eyes though but the knees are a much larger issue to me.

The holsters rock though (even though Veers' holster is not correct since he didn't wear it without the armor)...  Not sure why, but Derlin seems to have that pathetic pea shooter that the POTJ Fleet Trooper had...  Why reuse that sculpt?  I'm confused by that, but whatever...  I have the good ones around here to re-equip him with I just hope they fit the holster.

R2's different...  Vader's worth buying to have basically an opened 500th Vader...  The Gonk is my favorite, I don't know why.  I just love those droids and it's nice getting another one.  Veers is great custom fodder despite the leg articulation and hat, and Derlin's great despite the leg articulation and pistol....  Those knee joints just kill me though, and I hope that this isn't a sign of the way things will be across the board.

The AT-AT Driver's the clear-cut winner though of course.  Great figure...  Not one I wanted particularly, but great figure overall.  He's what the standard ought to be for 85% of the line's new sculpts.  I'm glad he doesn't look like he'll put the old sculpt AT-AT drivers to shame too much either, so I won't really have that urge to retire them like I do my TIE Pilots.  That's a plus.

2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2005, 12:34 PM »

Has anyones else noticed that it looks like both Reekin and Derlin are packed with the uber-small rebel blasters?

Wanted to refresh this question. I'm slightly concerned about this.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2005, 06:12 PM »
Yup, I've taken note of that too Anton...  Definitely is the POTJ blaster sculpt, not the Saga one.  Why would Hasbro do this?  I'm clueless except to think that it's their effort to re-use that mold a bit...  An effort to depreciate its cost some and perhaps retire it.  I'm not sure how they go about that...

It also could be just a simple act of laziness on someone's part, using a mold that's outdated and was never appreciated by collectors.  The good news is I have a number of extra Saga pistols but still now I wonder if they'll fit the holster and the figure's hand ok?  For my money the blaster and knees are Derlin's failings as an action figure...  The blaster I can live with though without a problem, but the knees simply are piss poor cost cutting on Hasbro's part for what is probably the better Hoth Rebel army builder at this stage.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2005, 04:29 PM »
thanks for the pics Jesse i'm not able to access that other site, so I'm glad to get close ups of theses figs.  not so much disappointed on the lack of articulation on the "new" figs, but it'd been nice for derlin & veers to have removable hats for customs, but i'm a little more disappointed in that the veers' uniform doesn't have the texture that ozzels' uniform does.  i notices the design is a little different, but that's cool cause it's a variation between the navy and army officers.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2005, 04:33 PM »
Thanks for all those great pics Jesse.  God that AT-AT driver looks awesome.  I did retire my old POTF2 drivers actually because of this figure.

:P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2005, 06:48 PM »
It's just a minor detail I suppose, but I really like those bases with their names on them. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2005, 10:52 PM »
Must say that I like this wave a lot. A lot of cool characters. Looks like I might be buying the lot of these.

General Veers- looks pretty good, especially with the removable helmet and armor.

Major Bren Derlin - gotta have Cliff Clavin

AT-AT Driver - I love Imperial troops.

R2-D2 - if it's the chrome dome, I might consider it.

Snowtrooper - Might get some to custom into Comm. Bacara's squad.

General Rieekan - Yes!

Darth Vader - might get just for the removable helmet for a custom.

Power Droid - droids rock!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2005, 10:55 AM »
God that AT-AT driver looks awesome.  I did retire my old POTF2 drivers actually because of this figure.

:P

I'm going to do the same thing. I think the POTF2 ones hold up well enough though, at least to trade off.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 4, 2006, 10:40 AM »
I got to see Veers, Snowtrooper, Power droid, Vader and R2 first hand last night, and at $15 a piece, I was half tempted. I so can't wait to get my hands on Veers. The Snowtrooper actually looks better in person, but not good enough to want to spend time army building. For the fist time, I was able to determine that it's the Saga body and skirt with POTF2 legs and arms.

Too bad the guy didn't have Derlin and Reekin so I could check out the blaster size first hand. :-\

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 4, 2006, 12:02 PM »
Where at Anton? Was that at Big Lou's?

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 4, 2006, 01:57 PM »
I got to see Veers, Snowtrooper, Power droid, Vader and R2 first hand last night

Ha ha!  It sounds like an exalted gracious scalper granted us peeons permission to see these great rare precious items.

There's something wrong when you find a new wave of figures and can't even buy them because they're marked up 3x the normal amount.

And what really gets me, is that there are some stupid people out there that pay it.  If nobody paid these ridiculous prices, the scalpers would absolutely stop wasting there time screwing around in our hobby.
If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 4, 2006, 02:22 PM »
I got that beat...what gets me is that some folks won't step into a Walmart to buy x5 new saga figures for $29.40(without tax) but are ready and willing to buy at target for x5 at 34.95$ ::)

the $5+ savings alone is a lunch let alone a savings of over a hundred dollars for the line. IMO it's dumb especially when the reason are like" I'm to above setting foot in Walmart to shop"- assuming some kind of superiority complex or heirarchy. Or using a reason like " have you seen the people in Walmarts" -like they could judge.

I have no bias or reason to back any chain store but I definately back saving money when buying SW. When you pay more you ultimately are getting less for your dollar-regardless of how much money you can easily throw at it.

And Please, don't get offended it's my 2 cents that I have a right to share like anyone else-I didn't quote anyone in particular(no names here)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #162 on: January 4, 2006, 08:49 PM »
Wal-Mart is not an option for everyone.  Target is 5 minutes away.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 4, 2006, 11:43 PM »
the $5+ savings alone is a lunch let alone a savings of over a hundred dollars for the line. IMO it's dumb especially when the reason are like" I'm to above setting foot in Walmart to shop"- assuming some kind of superiority complex or heirarchy. Or using a reason like " have you seen the people in Walmarts" -like they could judge.

I have no bias or reason to back any chain store but I definately back saving money when buying SW.

Nevermind that stuff is cheaper at Walmart because of their 10 mile long list of deplorable business practices.

Personally, I just think that the vast majority of the Walmarts I've been in have been crap holes - and the lines are always absurdly long compared to Target, and the employees are never helpful, and rarely speak English well enough for me to converse with them.

But hey, watch for falling prices!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #164 on: January 5, 2006, 01:29 AM »
I have no bias, I go to whichever is cheaper, however that's only for Star Wars...  for groceries I tend to shop the big chain here over WM simply because I don't want a WM in my immediate (like 5 minutes away) area.  Nobody else seems to either since it's been fought fairly well. 

For my area (Pittsburgh) shopping's funny.  I live a ways outside the city, in an area that's just not developed much and remains rural.  There's shopping 45 minutes in a number of directions, and that suits me...  it'd be nice if it was 20 minutes away but I live.  Long toy hunts is all.  I mean, just to hit 2 WM's and a Target and TRU, I'm looking at leaving around 6 and getting back around 9 or 10.  That sucks.

WM's where I'll get my SW fix for now till Target comes down.  I honestly would buy at the local KM if they were $5.99 or less...  I bought most of my POTJ figures there actually, literally saw every wave once there.  That was a good year.  I got final 12 there too on Black Friday and for real cheap.

WM and Target are hit and miss for me and I tend not to skip much if I want it unless I'm sure I'll see it at a cheaper price. 

I probably shop more at Target than WM in general (I look at them as being just as shady as WM though in all likelihood) because the stores are cleaner and less congested around here.  I don't know why that is though...  Their checkouts seem more logically laid out and more are open though.  If they had self checkouts it'd be great.  The store's noticeably cleaner generally though and Target seems to not be so dreary inside, I don't know why.  I'm sure someone with a psychology background could tell us that though.

Neither seems to outdo the other on finds though, I clump them together in my opinion and until Target drops the price I'm not as interested in it.  I wanna find a cheapy cheap TIE Fighter at Target though and some Shadow Troops for cheap, haha.

WM's opening near my gf's house soon so I'm sure I'll be there more.  It's like 20 minutes away too so that's not bad.