Author Topic: Battle of Hoth Wave  (Read 59848 times)

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Hoth Wave
« Reply #225 on: January 18, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Damn it...
I havent even seen a hoth wave in stores anywhere across the city.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 11:40 PM by JesseVader08 »
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #226 on: January 19, 2006, 01:06 AM »
I really think speedermike's in the vast miniority to have seen that many figures from the line.  :)  I know I haven't.  There's a LOT I never saw.

However I agree with him, it's too early to panic.  They showed what, last week?  So they're gonna ship.  Carkoon wills hip too I figure.  I just saw my first multiple Carkoon Wave this week, so I'm sure these just need some time...  I feel behind though, so I know that antsy feeling.  I need to finish my Carkoon needs, and then I gotta get everything from Hoth, so yeah I'm behind too.

Patience...  It's key.  However, the final 12 proved to be a real "you miss 'em, you lose".  That sucked.  Hasbro screwed the pooch with the last ROTS figures, BIGTIME.  People being gunshy and worried about finding stuff has some basis too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 19, 2006, 01:07 AM »
Found this wave yesterday, and wow... this is the wave I've been wanting for years!  Derlin is my favorite, follwed by the AT-AT driver.  Veers is close, but what bothers me about him is not the lack of back armor, and his face sculpt I think is fantastic (even if it doesn't look exactly like the actor, it's still well done), but rather he towers over Ozzel, his uniform is  more grey than Ozzel, and has less uniform detail than Ozzel.  Not to compare too much, it's just that I have them standing next to each other in a Star Destroyer bridge scene, and they don't mesh as well as I'd thought.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #228 on: January 19, 2006, 01:15 AM »
Those were reasons I liked Veers more than Ozzel (just by pics, I don't own him yet).  The uniform on Ozzel was too textured (less is more), and a smoother sculpt ala the Motti figure looks more real, and those uniforms were more a German field grey than that weird color of Ozzel's outfit, or the Tarkin figure's outfit...  Hasbro's got the weirdest color mishmashes going for their Impy Officers though right now.  Not a one matches.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #229 on: January 19, 2006, 02:15 AM »
Those were reasons I liked Veers more than Ozzel (just by pics, I don't own him yet).  The uniform on Ozzel was too textured (less is more), and a smoother sculpt ala the Motti figure looks more real, and those uniforms were more a German field grey than that weird color of Ozzel's outfit, or the Tarkin figure's outfit...  Hasbro's got the weirdest color mishmashes going for their Impy Officers though right now.  Not a one matches.

I've got to disagree with you on the texture thing Jesse. I actually like the texture that is on Ozzel. Or maybe it isn't so much the sculpt so much as it is the paint. I just bought a Veersa the other night, while it is a great figure, it isn't perfect. The helmet on mine was squished, with a bit of bending I was able to reshape it though. I'm not really a big fan of the paint though. It has no depth at all, it looks so, plastic like. I wish he would have gotten color somewhere between Ozzel's and what he's got now, and had a nice wash to make it look more realistic.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #230 on: January 19, 2006, 02:29 AM »
Oh I don't like the Veers figure a whole lot overall, I just liked the smoother sculpt and color on him.  I don't really like the figure overall though.

My beefs are:

-No knee joints (bummer, and it'd be nice to get ONE good poseable imperial officer at some point)
-No back armor piece...  I've seen better customs of that removable armor.  If it's done for you already, just copy what some customizer did and do it right ya know?
-No removable hat?  That's just lazy on Hasbro's part.  Make the hat removable, and you have a better figure I think, and it'd have made me buy many for customizing. 

As it stands I'll perhaps get two.  This figure just isn't good enough for me to justify army building or buying for customs fodder though, so however many I would have bought has gone out the window.  It's now two at most, maybe just one.  I'll make a better one some day.  The artriculation and hat really killed it for me.  I was really amped to get him, but now Derlin and the AT-AT Driver are just more appealing.  Hell I'd rather get the gonk at this point.  Veers really just became a let down.

I do think he's a better base Imperial Officer body than Ozzel though.  Ozzel's good, but the texture is too much, and the color is nowhere near correct.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #231 on: January 19, 2006, 09:18 AM »
Hey guys, I didn't mean to sound preachy.  Sorry if I came off that way.  I just want everyone to take deep breath before worrying about finding figures that have only been out for about two weeks. Patience is one of the key traits in collecting. 

Anyway, I was thinking about my statement about having found almost everything at retail.  Thinking back, the carziest finds were never at big box stores.  I found all of the EU figures at a drugstore.  I found the DST/Reeyees wave at a mom and pop toy shop in a crappy neighborhood in Brooklyn, and I found the TC-14 wave at another mom and pop shop.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 19, 2006, 09:21 AM »
I wish I could find these.....I found Wave 1 at K-Mart, but that's the only SAGA2 sighting I've seen. Really frustrating. >:(
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 19, 2006, 09:54 AM »
I was fortunate enough to find most of this wave last week, but its been nothing but bare pegs at all the stores in town since then.  I was just posting in the "finds" thread that it seems like the waves so far this year (and the final 12 from last year) really were "blink and you miss them" type of things.  I'm guessing we'll start seeing more of the TSC waves, since we're just starting out here, but I know the market here could definitely handle more figures on the pegs.  They seem to sell through totally in a day or less, repacks included, so the demand is obviously there.  Hopefully we'll see more significant stocking in the months ahead.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2006, 10:07 AM »
Hey guys, I didn't mean to sound preachy.  Sorry if I came off that way.  I just want everyone to take deep breath before worrying about finding figures that have only been out for about two weeks. Patience is one of the key traits in collecting. 

Anyway, I was thinking about my statement about having found almost everything at retail.  Thinking back, the carziest finds were never at big box stores.  I found all of the EU figures at a drugstore.  I found the DST/Reeyees wave at a mom and pop toy shop in a crappy neighborhood in Brooklyn, and I found the TC-14 wave at another mom and pop shop.

You also have an incredible amount of collecting karma, Mike!  ;D

I'm not worried about finding these. I think Hasbro is really going to push this line. I just hope those terrible Star Wars Transformers don't clog up the works, followed closely by those lame choppers.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 19, 2006, 04:29 PM »
while i here what you're saying jesse, i gotta have me imperial officers.  I have 4 veer's's'ss, spelling!?!?!? :-\, i liked the texture on Ozzel/Tarkin, and while they really don't seem to match up with their movie counterparts as far as the uniform coloring goes i just kind of chalk that up to different officer rank have different color uniform's.  also while a removable hat would be great everybody know that hasblow would do a halfa$$ed job at it and would wind up sucking so badly it would be warming the pegs.  now a good option would just to pack in 2 different heads 1 with hat 1 w/out hat.  also a lot of people have been saying that most of these were left overs from the OTC era so i guess i can forgive the lack of articu.  These being left overs would also explain the speed at which these seem to be coming out in some areas.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2006, 04:51 PM »
I have 4 veer's's'ss,

"I have four Veers'...."

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2006, 06:32 PM »
Thanx.  ;D
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2006, 09:47 PM »
  However, the final 12 proved to be a real "you miss 'em, you lose".  That sucked.  Hasbro screwed the pooch with the last ROTS figures, BIGTIME.  People being gunshy and worried about finding stuff has some basis too.

Last wave syndrome.  It may not be quite as familiar down south as it is up here, but when a line is ending, I genuinely panic.  I was fortunate enough this time to end up with the last 12 thanks to Jeff, so I really lucked out thanks to his hard work, but I treated it the same as I did the last figures in TPM - they'd be tough as something else starts getting lined up. 

But this early in the year, this early into a new line (TSC) I'm not even remotely worried.  I won't go so far as to say that every figure will peg warm, particulary given the post-Christmas retail blahs, but I'm not overly worried at this point.  If etailers had them, had shipped them and were out and I hadn't found them yet then yeah, I'd be crapping my drawers.  Too soon for that.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 19, 2006, 09:51 PM »
The At At driver could have been better with Ball Joint Elbows, but I think the combo of Ball Jointed Shoulders and slash elbows is almost tolerable....

Derlin would be over the top with some Super Articulation, but Articulation is not his biggest flaw it is that micro-machine sized blaster pistol they stuck him with...

And now to Veers...I think he is a good one shot, but I don't plan to Army Build him. His holster makes him a one hit wonder.  I also wish he had more Articulation.

Gonk Rocks for a repack.

I bought a snowtrooper and I regret it now...especially since it will give Hasbro the wrong impression that they can re-pack  no articulation Army Builders and get away with it.  I'd burn it in protest, but Texas has a burn ban right now.

I passed on Vader and Reikkien.

I will be getting 6 At-At Drivers total. And perhaps one more Derlin.

Oh and don't take this as negative....a bad OT figure is a relief over the PT stuff I had to suffer through last year.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 09:53 PM by pmundheim »