Author Topic: Ye Olde Nintendo  (Read 125397 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Ye Olde Nintendo
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2004, 01:40 PM »
SO I've been playing A Link to the Past on my new GameBoy for the last week or two and am absolutely in love with the game.  Sort of a 2-D Ocarina of Time (which IMO is the greatest game of all time)

You've. . . never. . . played. . . A Link to the Past before?  Holy crap.  I have a hard time even imagining.  Easily my favorite console game of all time.

I never had a Super Nintendo, seems like I missed out on a bunch of great games.  Isn't the Super Mario game from Super Nintendo out on GB?  Any others that would be worth picking up????

Yeah, Super Mario World was what it was called on SNES, and it's been re-released for the GBA:

Not my favorite of the Mario games, but it is a really solid title.  Lots to do, and a lot of fun.

There was also another Mario platformer for the SNES--Yoshi's Island:

It's a little different than the previous Mario platformers--instead of being Mario and rescuing someone, you're Yoshi, with Baby Mario riding along--and I think you have to rescue Baby Luigi or something.  Definite twist on the standard Mario games, it was released later in the SNES' life, and is probably one of the best-looking games on the system, graphically.  I've got it on GBA (never picked it up for the SNES at the time), and although I haven't finished it yet, it is really good, and definitely recommended.

Having a hard time thinking of some others, though.  The SNES smash Donkey Kong Country has been released on the GBA, with DKC 2 on the way, I believe.  And I think, too, that the SNES-era Final Fantasy games (II & III) are going to be re-released, GBA-style, too.  

And just to play the devil's advocate--for the price of a brand new Mario GBA game, you could probably pick up a used SNES along with SNES's Super Mario World on Ebay.  And as cool as A Link to the Past is on the GBA--it's a lot better on the big TV at home.  Not to mention--with a SNES, you can play all the other SNES exclusives that haven't been (or won't be) re-released for the GBA--while there's tons, I'm thinking specifically of Super Metroid, which a lot of people still consider to be one of the greatest 2-D console games ever.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2004, 02:59 PM »
Yeah never had a Super Nintendo...not sure where I was or what I was doing in that time...I think it was post-NES and pre-Genesis so it was probably Girls and Sportscards and not too much with the video games.  Although I remember playing the NES for a long time while in High School, especially Baseball Stars and SUper Tecmo Bowl.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #123 on: July 26, 2004, 03:46 PM »

My wife would absolutely love seeing this in our living room...I could even put SW figures on top and recreate scenes from the movies making her even more happy
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 03:47 PM by OCB »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #124 on: July 26, 2004, 03:52 PM »
I mean, I think it's cool that someone has the technical know-how to do something like that--God knows I certainly don't--but that thing is just hideous.  

It belongs in that American Express "beautiful things" commercial.

Surely, the look of four different systems hooked up to the TV is less-obnoxious than the look of some big, stupid, asymmetrical wooden box hooked up to the TV. . .
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 03:55 PM by Virex »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2004, 05:15 PM »
What...... is........ that thing? ???
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2004, 09:17 PM »
It's hideous.

BTW, Wise Ass, love the avatar.  ;)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2004, 04:12 PM »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2004, 11:13 PM »
Here is what Famicom is releasing for Series 2

Mario Bros.
Balloon Fight
Clu Clu Land
Wrecking Crew
Twin Bee
Dig Dug
Dr. Mario
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Adventure Island
Gombare Goemon

Not sure if all of these will be released in the States or not

And I just remembered someone saying Metroid is on one of the Metroid games already...that's good enough for me.  I still want Punch Out though!

Well, IGN is reporting that the second wave of Classic NES GBA games (10/25 release) is as follows:

Castlevania
Dr. Mario
The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Metroid

Nintendo has revealed that it will be continuing the Classic NES Series in the US with a second batch of games this October 25th.

In Volume 2 of the series, players will be able to snag perfect NES versions of Dr. Mario, Metroid, The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and Castlevania.

Like their predecessors, these games will be $19.99 apiece and feature boxart from the classic versions of the NES release. Dr. Mario, the only two player game in the batch, will feature wireless and wired link play that will only require one copy of the game for two systems.

We'll have more on these games when Nintendo updates us with details.

Some nice titles, but unless there's a nice deal on them somewhere, I'll probably take a pass.

Maybe we'll see a Wave 3 with Punch-Out!, Contra, and Tecmo Bowl. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #129 on: August 14, 2004, 12:07 AM »
Cool beans, can I say thanks again for informing that I needed a Game Boy, its been the second best thing I take on the road, the other being my Power Glove

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 14, 2004, 07:47 PM »
Cool beans, can I say thanks again for informing that I needed a Game Boy, its been the second best thing I take on the road, the other being my Power Glove

power glove? that sounds... odd. what, may i ask, is a power glove?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #131 on: August 14, 2004, 07:52 PM »

"I love the Power Glove.  It's soooo bad."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 07:52 PM by Virex »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2004, 12:51 AM »

Its the greatest thing Nintendo came out with, especially in Turbo mode when I'm "Practicing Beating Super Macho Man"

http://www.i-mockery.com/romhacks/nudepunchout/macho-manboobs.gif
« Last Edit: April 5, 2006, 09:34 AM by Jeff »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2004, 05:39 PM »
Maybe we'll see a Wave 3 with Punch-Out!, Contra, and Tecmo Bowl. . .

Well, it looks like Tecmo Bowl is coming to a handheld console near you, although not a Game Boy system:

JAKKS Pacific Secures TV Games License for Tecmo Bowl

MALIBU, Calif.--Aug. 19, 2004--JAKKS Pacific, Inc. announced today that the Company has signed a worldwide licensing agreement with Tecmo, Inc. to develop and market JAKKS' TV Games products based on Tecmo Bowl and other classic Tecmo properties. The TV Games product is a plug-it-in and play gaming system that contains multiple games in one single controller.

This Tecmo Bowl TV Games unit by JAKKS Pacific will feature games based on classic Tecmo titles, including Tecmo Basketball, Mighty Bombjack, Fire-n-Ice, Solomon's Key and Tecmo Bowl, one of the most well-known retro football gaming titles. All that is needed to play TV Games products are batteries and a TV -- no videogame consoles or gaming cartridges are required. Simply plug the TV Games product into the A/V jacks of any standard television set, turn it on and play! The lightweight, compact, all-inclusive controller houses a combination of videogames with all of the hardware and software built right in. This technology allows gaming fans to enjoy a number of videogames with just one single purchase.

http://www.jakkspacific.com/

Tecmo Bowl is always good, but it looks like this thing will be limited to one player only.  I also wonder what the controller will be like--if The Big N will allow them to make something a little like that original NES controller, or if they'll have to come up with something entirely new.

And Jakks is the same company that's developing one of these all-in-one game controller things for the Star Wars games.  Due for release next year, there's still no word on what games that one will feature. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2006, 11:23 PM »
My friend Virex was telling me that you can beat Mike Tyson on Mike Tyson's Punch Out by giving him a Donkey Punch.  Anyone else heard of that before?