Author Topic: Ye Olde Nintendo  (Read 125402 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Ye Olde Nintendo
« Reply #30 on: January 2, 2004, 06:17 PM »
Alright, here's what I've got for my 'Cube:

• Beach Spikers: Virtua Beach Volleyball (SEGA)
         Decent game, I guess.  Bought it because it was <$10.
  • Eternal Darkness
         Creepy, atmospheric psychological thriller.  Could probably be best compared to Resident Evil, but personally, I like ED much better than RE.  Got it for <$20.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and OoT: Master Quest bonus disc
         Good stuff, although rather unnecessary now with the new Zelda Collection disc, unless you're a Zelda nut and have to have Master Quest, which is otherwise unavailable.
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
         No-brainer.  
  • Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour
         Just picked this up the other day for $29.99 at Target.  So far, it's basically just a GameCube version of 1999's Mario Golf for the N64, but that was great, and this is shaping up to be great as well.
  • Metroid Prime
         Another no-brainer.
  • Resident Evil
         It's just a prettier version of the old-school PlayStation version.
  • Star Wars: Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
      Solid.
  • Star Wars: Rebel Strike: Rogue Squadron III: Limited Edition Preview Disc
         Bought it only for the 1983 Atari game, which is apparently also on the full version of the game, which I have yet to pick up.  
  • Super Mario Sunshine
         Eh. . .  Lost interest early on.  Decent game, I guess.  Just not the revolutionary experience that we got with Super Mario 64 a few years before.
  • Super Monkey Ball
         Great, if not frustrating impossible at times.  Plenty for the single player to do, but it shines in multiplayer.  A lot of fun, and the sequel's supposed to be pretty good, too.
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
         Good game, just not my thing.  Probably another game where the multiplayer experience is better than the single-player's.
My GameCube want list:

• Mario Kart: Double Dash
  • Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
       If I've got an extra $20 in my pocket, and find this new for that or less, I'll get it.  No rush.
  • Star Wars: Rebel Strike: Rogue Squadron III
      Waiting for either a price drop, or for more details to come in about the "Rogue Squadron Trilogy", which has been rumored to be coming to the XBox sometime next fall, perhaps to coincide with the DVD release.
Another one I've been hearing some good things about is the new Pac Man World 2/Pac-Man Vs. game, which can be found at Target for $19.99.  World 2 is your typical, crappy platformer-type game, I believe, but Vs. is supposed to be the highlight here.  From what I hear, the multiplayer is really fun and good.

Also heard a lot of positive stuff about Viewtiful Joe.

Now, there are a few games which are available for one or two of the other systems, and personally, in those cases, my buying strategy is this:

XBox<GameCube<PS2

I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but basically, if a game comes out for both the 'Cube and the PS2, for example, I'll go for the 'Cube version (thinking about Bounty Hunter here).  Likewise, if a game (thinking of the two Jedi Knight games) comes out for both the XBox and the 'Cube, I'll always take the XBox versions.  And obviously, if something comes out for all three systems, I'll take the XBox versions over the other two.

Other recommendations for your 'Cube (if you don't have them already, of course) would be a (wireless) WaveBird controller, which kick the crap out of the regular corded controllers, and the 251 Memory Card, which is plenty big (if you're not putting sports saves on there, anyway).

And if you're feelin' especially crazy, you might even pick up a Game Boy Player for your 'Cube for around $50.  It plugs into the bottom of the 'Cube, and will basically allow you to play any Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance game ever made, through your 'Cube, on your big TV.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #31 on: January 3, 2004, 12:39 AM »
      Waiting for either a price drop, or for more details to come in about the "Rogue Squadron Trilogy", which has been rumored to be coming to the XBox sometime next fall, perhaps to coincide with the DVD release.

Well, I was just checking out another forum, where someone posted Best Buy's ad for next week, and it looks like they're going to have Rebel Strike on sale for $29.99.

Right on time. . .   8)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 3, 2004, 01:13 AM »
I don't see what the big deal is about a Game Boy player. I could understand if you don't want to buy a GBA SP, or even a regular GBA, but why is it so expensive? I think I may wait and pick one up when they start selling for under $30.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: January 3, 2004, 01:36 AM »

Well, I was just checking out another forum, where someone posted Best Buy's ad for next week, and it looks like they're going to have Rebel Strike on sale for $29.99.

Right on time. . .   8)

Sweet, I'm loving my decision to wait a few years to plunge back into the Wonderful World of Nintendo :-*

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #34 on: January 3, 2004, 03:18 AM »
Check it out!! Easiest game on the internet.

I hate this damn dog.

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/DuckHunt/

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #35 on: January 3, 2004, 03:28 AM »
Great game.   ;D

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #36 on: January 4, 2004, 11:21 AM »
Well, I can go ahead and scratch Rebel Strike off my GameCube want list.  Picked it up just now at a Wal-Mart, who price-matched* Best Buy for $29.99.

*Yeah, they price-matched it alright, but not without a hassle.  Since the regular price for it at Wal-Mart is $49.99, that's a $20 difference, which apparently is too large a difference for the regular cashiers to do on their own.  So she called over a supervisor or something for a manual override, who, when she saw the Best Buy ad, very nearly refused to do it, due to the kind of-semi-not really confusing ad.  Rebel Strike is pictured in a box along with two Sonic the Hedgehog games.  At the top of the box, above all three games, the print reads "TRIPLE REWARD ZONE POINTS with these 2 SONIC games".  

So the supervisor saw that, and thought that Rebel Strike was only $29.99 if you bought the other two Sonic games (which, incidentally, don't even come out until Thursday).  I told her no--that Rebel Strike has nothing to do with the Sonic games, and after a few anxious moments, she finally caved, due in part, I'm sure, to the line that was growing behind me.  

So, anyway, if any of you are planning to take the Best Buy ad to Wal-Mart to price match, be prepared for maybe a little bit of grief. . .  

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2004, 11:27 AM »
I just had to bring this topic back up to the top after this past weekend.  I sat around for an hour talking with my brother in law (and future brother in law) about how great the original NES was.  That system was just so much fun, and between those conversations and what we have been talking about here, it really makes me want to go and see if I can pick up some old games on ebay or something.   I still have many of my old ones, but wouldn't mind getting some other greats that you mentioned (my friends had, but I didn't)...Castlevania, Mega Man, Kid Icarus, Metroid, Zelda, etc.  Any other games you would recommend for this system?  Personally, don't make fun of me, I don't think I have ever played the Legend of Zelda for more than 5 minutes total in my life, and don't remember it well......but it seems to be pretty well liked, so I thought about picking it up.  Plus, cheaper to pick up games for the old NES than my Gamecube most of the time :P.  Although....on the "new" Nintendo side of things, I got NBA Live 2004 and Rebel Strike for Christmas, so they are both getting all of my gaming time right now...both good games I think.

**Also, quick question, I remember the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games being fun, I was wondering which you guys thought was the best of them though?**
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 11:30 AM by mosnab »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2004, 12:29 PM »
I was just thinking that Nintendo should release a Greatest Hits Disc ala the Midway or Namco versions currently out there...even if its only the SMB or Zelda series...(like the recent Zelda disc for gamecube) I think they'd move a ton more product.  Or with each new incarnation of a game include the original NES, SNES or N64 version as a bonus material

Oh and someone should release all of the old Sega NHL games

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2004, 12:37 PM »
Yeah, my friends and I were just discussing this a few days ago...that is a great idea.  They should either release greatest hits discs or include the vintage games along with the newer versions.  I think they'd find a lot of buyers if they'd include the old Marios, Zelda, Tecmo Super Bowl, Kid Icarus, Castlevania, Mega Man, Turtles, Double Dribble, etc.  Nice idea Scott. :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2004, 01:19 PM »
I'm guessing they would fit half as many games as on say the Namco Disc (which has what 16???)

Even at 4-6 Games (using the Zelda Disc as a model) they could include:

Super Mario Bros:

Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario 64

Racing:

RC Pro Am
Excitebike
Rad Racer
Mario Kart 64

Nintendo Originals:

Metroid
Super Metroid
Kid Icarus

Nintendo Sports:

Ice Hockey
Mario Golf 64
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Super Punch Out

And then there is non-Nintendo Compilations

Tecmo Sports

Tecmo Super Bowl
Tecmo Hockey
Tecmo Baseball
Tecmo Basketball

Castlevanias Konami

Castlevania I
Castlevania II
Castlevania III
Castlevania X

Konami II

Contra
Contra II
Gradius
Rush'n Attack
Top Gun
Metal Gear

Konami Sports

Doubble Dribble
Blades of Steel
Jack Nicklaus Golf (Great Game BTW)
Track and Field

Capcom

Mega Man 1-6

etc...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2004, 02:25 AM »
Anybody hear about that Dual Screen Handheld Nintendo is making? Apparently, it's a 2 screened handheld system that will be the competition for Sony's new PSP. Sounds like a bad idea to me, but we'll see how things turn out.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2004, 12:21 AM »
Capcom

Mega Man 1-6

Psst. . .

Mega Man Compilation disc, put together in celebration of Mega Man's 15th birthday. Paying tribute to Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, Capcom's Mega Man Anniversary Collection anthology set will collect Mega Man 1 through 8 in a single package in addition to two arcade titles never before released in the U.S., Mega Man: The Power Battle and Mega Man: The Power Fighters. In addition to an updated soundtrack, fans of the blue hero will also find a cache of unlockable bonus features that include 30 minutes of anime (PlayStation 2 version), producer interviews (GameCube version) and a history of the series.

Coming in May. . .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2004, 12:32 AM »
Sweet!  Sounds like there are new Metroid and possibly new Mario nad Zelda games this year as well, glad I got in now :)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2004, 12:55 AM »
Yeah, good stuff.  

And it's not for the GameCube, but there is a "new" Metroid game due in a couple weeks for the GBA:  "Metroid: Zero Mission".  

Basically, it's a remix of the very first Metroid game, but with a bunch of extra stuff thrown in.  Should be cool, and it comes out the week of February 9th.

Glad I got that Game Boy Player for the 'Cube. . .