Author Topic: Store Displays  (Read 8213 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Store Displays
« on: April 26, 2005, 02:48 PM »
I snagged one from the paperback rerelease of The Cestus Deception, a recent novel. It was at my local Shinders (combination of comic shop, bookstore, newsstand, and gaming). I asked if I could have it when they were done with it, so they stuck a Post-It note on it with my phone #. Last night they called and I picked it up. Easy as pie.

I don't actually have room, so I don't know where I'll put it. It looked a lot smaller in the store. ;D

I tried this before with Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, but the Post-It apparently never made it onto the display so I missed it. Now they have one for ROTS but it just has Vader *yawn*. Plus there's the space issue.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 07:04 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Store Displays
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 03:39 PM »
Store displays are very cool but can often take up more space than you realize due to the odd shapes of most of them. 

I only have one in my collection, and it's friggin' huge to the point where it takes up an entire corner of my collection room.  I knew the manager at a small mom and pop video store and when they sold the Episode I VHS tapes, they received this huge display that was about 5 feet wide by 6 feet high.  It had a cardboard standee-like cutout of Obi-Wan on the left, Amidala and Anakin's heads on another standee-like cutout on the right, a "tower" in the middle that had cutouts of Anakin and Sebulba's Pods attached to the front (to look as if they were flying against the sand), a huge logo (like the one on the DVD) with SW:E1 TPM on it at the top, and two huge shelves to hold the videos in the middle.  Above that was a placard that said "The one to own on video."  Very cool, and the shelves have come in handy over the years, but it's big and unwieldy to say the least.

The one thing I always wondered about were those people who ended up winning the TRU Naboo Fighters or Milennium Falcons (the ones that hung over the SW area in the stores) and where they put those.   :o

It's always good to ask at these stores about old displays, because 99% of the time they just get thrown out in the trash.  Sometimes though they are promised to other areas (a local WM had promised their OTC display with the Struzan posters on one side of the island kiosk to a local Children's Home to use in a charity auction, which is great), but it never hurts to ask.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
For those who collect stores displays, click here
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2005, 10:55 PM »
My dad is a store director for Ralphs and he said he received an email yesterday from the company telling all stores to remove any and all point of sale Revenge of the Sith items.  This doesn't mean anything that can be sold w/ SW on it, just display material.  Apparently they have a partnership w/ DreamWorks for the upcoming film "Madagascar" and someone got upset so they are taking down any and all POS (point of sale) ROTS stuff.  For those of you who collect this stuff, now would be the time to try and get it because it's gonna end up in the trash otherwise.  Just a heads up.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Re: For those who collect stores displays, click here
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2005, 01:56 AM »
Good looking out Jason.

Offline I AM THE FORCE

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 11:13 PM »
I snagged one from the paperback rerelease of The Cestus Deception, a recent novel. It was at my local Shinders (combination of comic shop, bookstore, newsstand, and gaming). I asked if I could have it when they were done with it, so they stuck a Post-It note on it with my phone #. Last night they called and I picked it up. Easy as pie.

I don't actually have room, so I don't know where I'll put it. It looked a lot smaller in the store. ;D

I tried this before with Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, but the Post-It apparently never made it onto the display so I missed it. Now they have one for ROTS but it just has Vader *yawn*. Plus there's the space issue.

:) ;) :D  MORE AND MORE HAPPY THE FORCE IS FOUND AT SHINDERS   I HAD EXPERIENCE NOW AT A SHINDERS OF POSITIVE FORCE NATURE.
 THEY GAVE YOU A VALUABLE LIFE SIZE.   NEW LIFE FORCE  AT THE  SHINDERS NOW  ACCEPTABLE
      FREE MIDNIGHT SHOWING THIS WED AT OAKDALE  SHINDERS GAVE ME 10 TIX
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 11:24 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 11:25 PM »
Let's please try typing in lower case letters from now on IATF.  Far too difficult to read posts in all caps.  Thanks.

- Matt

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 08:18 PM »
I love getting store displays, but I haven't had a whole lot of luck lately.  A friend of my husband's works at Wal-mart, and says he had a whole bunch of stuff "set aside" (including the big Yoda cutout from the Lay's Chip display...) and someone threw it out.  Don't know why he didn't just take it home the first day.  Oh well...

Today at Wal-mart I bought a twin sheet set and it was the last one in the shelf display box, so I grabbed the box with it.  When I stopped by Kmart, they had two of the small throw pillow display boxes and both were empty, so I nabbed one of those.  I have plenty of sheets, pillowcases, and small pillows (most of the latter from Ep1) to fill up those display boxes, easy.

The best displays I have are from when I worked at B. Dalton when Ep1 came out.  I got the Pit Droid, Battle Droid, and Droideka lifesized paper models that came out with the DK books, as well as an Obi-Wan Kenobi stand-up and a standee that featured C-3PO (with light-up eyes) and two Jawas.  The manager knew I was a huge SW fan, so I automatically got everything. <G>

I nabbed one of the ComLink store display units when our local Service Merchandise went out of business.  The first time I asked, I was told I couldn't have it, but I didn't give up and asked again, and that time they basically sold it to me for the price of a ComLink unit, which at their clearance price was under $3.  Woo-Hoo!

When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 09:44 PM »
... he had a whole bunch of stuff "set aside" and someone threw it out.

Arrgh!  You showed a lot more composure than I might have in the same situation.   ;)

I nabbed one of the ComLink store display units when our local Service Merchandise went out of business.

Now that would be a pretty slick display to have.  But it was pretty big, wasn't it?  Do you actually have room to show it off?  I'd love to see a picture.   :)

Offline neoblanc

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 1, 2005, 04:21 PM »
Yes pics would be nice. Anybody try and get that BK Vader stand with his voice activated with object movement?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2005, 01:13 AM »
Woohoo!  I've got a Kellog's display on the way.  Also working on getting the Pepsi Yoda.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 2, 2005, 05:43 PM »
I wish I could get Pepsi Yoda.
 :(

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 2, 2005, 09:01 PM »
Yes pics would be nice. Anybody try and get that BK Vader stand with his voice activated with object movement?

No, but I'm trying really hard for the Vader on the roof.  Honest...I think it would look cool over the fence surrounding my pool.  Hell, someone stole SpongeBob so if I can find the right kid...... ;)
Beth

Offline neoblanc

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2005, 03:04 AM »
Got myself the Darth Vader in BK with motion-sensor breathing post stand.
This will be an awesome addition to my collection. Got waving Tarfful as well.
w00t!
 :D

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Got waving Tarfful as well.
w00t!
 :D
Oh crap, I really wanted that! I shoulda stole it from the drive-thru. >:( I didn't score any BK displays. All I got was this thing from 7-11.

The guy at 7-11 said he would save everything with Star Wars on it for me. Then the night guy threw it all in the dumpster. :'(

Offline bobafett1121

• Youngling
  • Boba Fett Rules!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2005, 01:10 PM »
For me it is easy, the manager at the albertsons that I work at asked pepsi for an extra R2-D2 cooler so that the store can have one for display, and the other one he gave to me.I was also waiting for a darth vader kellogs display but one of the stock guys threw it into the compacter. And sence many workers were asking for the pepsi stand ups, albertsons decided to give them to people who shopped at the store instead of workers.
Boba Fett Rules!!!!!!