Author Topic: Star Wars Posters  (Read 116350 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Star Wars Posters
« Reply #90 on: August 2, 2006, 04:09 PM »
Congrats on the score, Brent.  Nice photos added as well.

I too have aboslutely no clue about that Empire Strikes Back poster...good luck finding a "real" one for your collection.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 2, 2006, 05:41 PM »
I thought that artwork on the ESB poster looked familiar. Here's a link from the vintage thread.

ESBposter
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 2, 2006, 10:09 PM »
So it appears to be a legit re-release poster.  Very cool.

And thanks for the information on that too, it's helpful to see where it came from and that it could be a legit poster as well. 
« Last Edit: August 2, 2006, 10:36 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 5, 2007, 10:34 PM »
Finished out my poster run with this:

I had also picked up an authentic re-release of Star Wars much earlier that looks like this.
1982 re-release with Revenge snipe

I don't really plan on picking up any more, but if I did I would love to get some Advance Star Wars one sheets, or a one year birthday cake poster.  Could also pick up an ESB style A one sheet.  No need of Jedi posters though.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 6, 2007, 01:11 AM »
Nice score Brent!  How many do you have now?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 6, 2007, 01:35 AM »
That makes six, which was my original goal after I obtained the first four (SW style A; ESB re-release; Jedi A&B).  It was because I had the two Jedi posters and only a re-release ESB poster that I decided to up it to six. 

I wanted to get an original ESB poster and the Advance One Sheet was my real goal.  I paid as much ($100) for the Advance as I did for the first four posters, but I still think $100 is a bargain.  They've been relatively cheap lately, ranging between $100 and $350 when I'd think they would go for more.  I've bid and lost on both Style A and B for ESB, including a bid of $135 on a Style A poster.  So I'm pretty pleased to get the Advance for less than that bid. 

The other Star Wars poster I got was just a simple re-release, but I like that one because I remember it from the theaters and because it has the Revenge of the Jedi banner (snipe) across the bottom right corner.  It only cost around $30 or so, I don't really recall but it wasn't much and is authentic. 

These are intended to be framed and linen backed, if needed.  They'll go into the basement in the "theater" area where I hope to have a projector and  make it a movie viewing space.  I also have the Code 3 sculpted posters to go with these, but as it stands I only have the Revenge, Star Wars and ESB Advance posters from Code 3.  I'm still missing the ROTJ that I want to get.  I've lost a few auctions on that one too, but only because I'm cheap.  They retailed at $70+ and I'm trying to get them for under $30 shipped. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 6, 2007, 12:45 PM »
Cool.  They will definitely look well displayed.  I had my ROTJ poster dry mounted and it got out most of the creases from when it had been folded and placed in a film canister with the movie.  It looks great on the wall.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 7, 2007, 12:30 AM »
These are intended to be framed and linen backed, if needed.

Forgive my newbie-poster-collector question, but why linen backed?  Does that protect the poster?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 7, 2007, 12:42 AM »
Not really, it more helps restore them than anything else.  It also devalues them to a degree.  A vintage poster that is not linen backed will hold its value better, in other words.  But when they tend to get beat up or the creases are heavy (rips, pin holes, etc.) putting a linen backing on them tends to both hide the flaws better plus it also adds some strength to the poster.

My two re-release posters and the ESB advance probably don't need the linen backing (though I need to see the last in hand to make that call) but the two ROTJ and the SW style A do need it as the creasing is really heavy and they have rips and pin holes.  In other words they're beat up. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 7, 2007, 12:57 AM »
Oh, I see, so the linen is actually physically attached to the back of the poster?  I've got a few older posters (nothing of any value) that I had pinned up as a kid that hold a lot of sentimental value and could use the support the linen provides.  I didn't even know a framing shop did that, so I'm glad I asked.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 7, 2007, 10:08 AM »
Not sure if you're average framing shop is going to do it.  I think it's more of a "high end art shop" kind of thing and probably not inexpensive.  It's sort of hard to tell but from what I've read, it can be done well or it can be done poorly too.  It's hard to tell because you can't tell if someone is just promoting themselves by saying other places may do a poor job of the work. 

We do have a place we buy "real" artwork from and the framing isn't cheap there (but then it's usually not just a metal frame with glass and a backing board).  I'm not looking to matte these or anything like that, the metal frame and glass in this case is probably the best for protection but the linen backing I'll get done if it will improve the looks of the displayed poster.  We'll see.  We'll see what the cost is too :-X

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 7, 2007, 04:06 PM »
Not sure if anyone can help me with this but -- I'm trying to find a way to frame a picture of the twin suns of Tatooine -- not Luke looking out at them, just the one shot in Episode 4 of the actual twin sunset.  Anyone know how I could get an image in a high-enough resolution so I can blow it up to poster size for framing?

Thanks in advance!

-Steve

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2008, 09:09 PM »
Official announcement on OfficialPix.com:

"New Indiana Jones IV Photos At Blockbuster

Our good friends at Blockbuster have secured four new EXCLUSIVE Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull images from Official pix. These very cool IJ4 images have been packaged in a special debossed IJ logo 11x14 inch mat and will be available in some 4500 stores nationwide in limited quantities. If you are a IJ collector, don't miss them when they hit the shelves May 1st!"

$12.99 each for a total of $55.59. I'm a little disappointed that these aren't brand new images that haven't been released yet. I think the only one I hadn't already seen is the one where they are running away from the steps. Cool idea though, I'm glad I was able to get these a day early.  :cool:

President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 2, 2008, 12:42 AM »

Is this the poster from Star Wars Weekend this year?   :o

Finally, Donald gets some love.  I'd sort of stopped liking these and had skipped more than a few, but I might have to chase that one around. 

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2008, 04:34 PM »
I got this beauty a few weeks ago along with my ROTJ 25th Anniversary Matt Busch print.

President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"