Author Topic: Star Wars Posters  (Read 116332 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Star Wars Posters
« on: August 9, 2004, 02:07 PM »
I don't know how many of you buy/collect/display posters, but I really enjoy them.  My wife bought me the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi movie posters, and framed them, for my birthday a couple of years ago.  I've always wanted to get the rest of the series, to have all six movie posters displayed.  For now, I just want to get the New Hope one next, and I have been trying to decide which version to pick up.  I was curious what some of your opinions are, between these two posters (courtesy AllPosters.com).  Also, feel free to post any posters you like, enjoy, collect, etc.  Really looking forward to that VOTC ANH poster that Hasbro put together as well, looked pretty neat.  Anyways, which of these do you prefer for A New Hope (or Star Wars, as we used to know it)?
This:

Or This:

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Star Wars Posters
« Reply #1 on: August 9, 2004, 02:44 PM »
I like both, but I decided to get the second one because I really don't like how buff Luke is in the first poster.

I'm in a similar predicament as you, except I'm looking for a ROTJ poster. I may use the one that Star Wars Insider mailed out - if the creases don't show up too bad... but I've got a feeling the creases are too deep in it to be able to frame it and be happy with it.  >:(

I've also got to get a signed SE:ROTJ print from Dorman to finish up that collection.

As far as movie posters go... right now I've got :

The 2nd ANH poster you pictured
A Limited Edition ESB poster (not sure what's so special about it)
A random Falcon/2ndDeathStar poster which I plan to replace w/ a ROTJ poster
And the TPM poster, which I plan to replace with a Ewoks : Caravan of Courage poster...
« Last Edit: August 9, 2004, 02:50 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: August 9, 2004, 03:11 PM »
I have the Struzan SE posters to go with the Episode I and II ones, I like the idea of having the originals but I just wanted a common look between the six (hopefully Struzan does III too :-\)

I have a bunch of Hasbro ones too, hoping that they come out with an OTC version this fall

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 9, 2004, 08:04 PM »
i'm a sucker for posters... i have quite a few (a few too many...) - you can see some of them in
this thread i posted a few weeks back...

that said, i've always been a sucker for the style a poster. but i found one that i thought was way too cool to pass up:

for some reason, the fact that it is horizontal instead of the everyday vertical version just kinda made it stand out to me.

SilverZ

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 01:22 AM »
that said, i've always been a sucker for the style a poster. but i found one that i thought was way too cool to pass up:

Wow, where is that from? Is it a US printed poster, or something like a UK quad one? Looks lovely.

The Style A one has always been the iconic poster. Love it.

Me, I have a ton of posters, all sitting in storage. Non are vintage, however, and are instead from the 97 SE's upwards. I have the SE teaser "3 reasons" and ANH posters framed, and ESB and ROTJ ones still in tubes. I also picked up a couple of really cool posters when the Art of Star Wars was showing at the Barbican in London a few years back. There's two versions, one with Darth Maul, back to the viewer, looking at a hanging framed concept painting of the character, against a white background. The other is C3P0 in a similar setting. They're really unique... couldn't find a pic of them online though.  :-\

I'm thinking that for my one-day-someday collection room, I'll need a double-sided vintage poster in mint condition, so I can display it in a light-up marque poster box. But that, it seems, will cost some serious cash.

On a bit of a tangent, I also ended up with both that TPM and AOTC vinyl banners that were offered by the Fan Club during the movie release years. Anyone else have those guys? They're ba bit big, but a pretty cool addition to the poster gallery.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 01:25 AM by Tydirium »

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 02:34 AM »
The first poster for me seeing as i have that.
Added to the fact that it was the first poster that i had seen and i knew i was hooked, from that moment on.
I had a thing for starwars when empire first came out on video i had my dad hire it out for me each week.
So i managed to track down a set of those posters and they are waiting to be framed.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2004, 09:29 AM »
Wow, where is that from? Is it a US printed poster, or something like a UK quad one? Looks lovely.

honestly, i don't remember.  ??? i picked it up a few years ago when i was on a poster buying rampage, and it ran about $12 so i'm guessing it's just some kind of reprint. but it's a 27" x 41", not the 24" x 36", and i thought it was awesome, so i had to get it.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2004, 04:52 PM »
I went on a SW poster buying rampage too, but it was back in the early 90's.  I pretty much went around and bought every differently styled poster that I could find, from all 3 movies.  I think I probably picked up around 15 of them at the time, including the two Brian's got above.  I just went with the cheapo repos, and not any of the huge, expensive theater type posters though.

Then, when the Special Editions hit, I picked up a few more, and finally, I think I only snagged one each from the two Prequel flicks, 'cause as you all know, those weren't exactly big hits with me.

Of course, as it stands, my entire poster collection hasn't seen the light of day in many years, as they continue living in a couple stupid poster containers for the time being...  Besides, how the hell do you display a good 30 or so posters, anyway?  Just rotate 'em?   :-\

I've tried to snag every figure poster (both vintage and modern) that's been made, but I think I'm missing a Saga one from a year or two ago, which may have been an Australian exclusive, that showed the first 52 or so Saga figures.  I picked up a similar one at C3 in Indy, but it only showed the first 40 Saga figures on it.

I have a bunch of Hasbro ones too, hoping that they come out with an OTC version this fall

You mean like this one, Scott?   ;)

I definitely want to get this one, but RS says it's an Australian exclusive too.   >:(  I'd actually prefer one that's got all the carded OTC figures on it though...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2004, 05:08 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2004, 02:26 PM »

I definitely want to get this one, but RS says it's an Australian exclusive too.   >:(  I'd actually prefer one that's got all the carded OTC figures on it though...

I betcha if you ask Greg(ggggg) nicely Matt, he'll pick one up for you  ;)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2004, 03:09 PM »
Ha!  That's a good one Mikey.   :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2004, 03:58 PM »
I only try to get the figure posters.  I love the movie posters, but as Matt said, where do you put them?  I only get one room for my stuff and shelving takes up most of the space.  That huge Vader standup from the SE's takes up a chunk of space as well.  

Not sure what I'm missing, think I have most.  May have to try for the Australian posters too.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2004, 07:03 PM »
My poster is going to one lucky American, but dam you yankies leave our posters alone, you have enough of our stuff ;D
Hehe
But if you ask Dover at RS or GH he might part with his as he won one as well.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2004, 07:05 PM »
My poster is going to one lucky American...

:)

(You da' man, Hemish!)   :-*
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 07:06 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 06:58 PM »
I don't know how many of you buy/collect/display posters, but I really enjoy them.  My wife bought me the Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi movie posters, and framed them, for my birthday a couple of years ago.  I've always wanted to get the rest of the series, to have all six movie posters displayed.  For now, I just want to get the New Hope one next, and I have been trying to decide which version to pick up.  I was curious what some of your opinions are, between these two posters (courtesy AllPosters.com).  Also, feel free to post any posters you like, enjoy, collect, etc.  Really looking forward to that VOTC ANH poster that Hasbro put together as well, looked pretty neat.  Anyways, which of these do you prefer for A New Hope (or Star Wars, as we used to know it)?
This:

Or This:

You should probably display the one you like. But I think the Jung one is considered the Star Wars one-sheet. It's always been synonymous with the movie for me. I like the second one too, but it's never fit as Star Wars' theatrical poster in my mind.

I also really love the swashbuckling "Style D" poster.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2004, 12:16 PM »
See in the 3rd poster, unbeknownst to most fans....Darth Vader was also a trend setter.  He was one of the first to really make the preppie "collar-up" a popular fashion statement...way ahead of the 80's fashion fads to follow.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)