Author Topic: Counting Up the Star Wars "Lines"  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Counting Up the Star Wars "Lines"
« on: October 4, 2004, 10:57 AM »
Not sure if this is exactly the right place to put this, but I figured that outside of basic figures/ships, etc., everything else Star Wars is technically an "other collectible", so I posted it here.  While figuring up my spending totals for the "collector's challenge" thread, it really surprised me how high it was.  Although some of it is due to dabbling in other non-SW lines, the majority of it is from a galaxy far, far away.  That, and the fact that I don't even collect many of the lines I'd like to made me realize how very much there is out there for the Star Wars collector to pick up.  It is overwhelming at times if you think about it, and I don't know how many people do it.  The basic figure line alone is enough to keep up on sometimes.  Anyways, just thinking about things that I have at least considered picking up at some point...there are a lot of lines represented:

Basic Figure Line - including ships, beasts, vehicles, "specialty" figures such as ultra/VOTC, etc.
12" Figure Line - not something I collect, but many do, although it has been a slow year in this area
Unleashed Line - I stick to OT only, and its a good thing I do
Galactic Heroes - A nice little line that I enjoy.  Not too pricey, and doesn't take up much room.
Kubricks - Really cool line, and actually just got my first last week.  Not sure if I'll be able to continue on, but I'd like to.
WOTC/Miniatures - Neat line, but another I'm having to stay away from.
Gentle Giant Mini-Busts - Really great product, too pricey for me to get too far into it.  Might pick up Han/Chewie busts if I have the funds (if/when they come out)
Gentle Giant Bust-Ups - More affordable, and thus, more tempting to me.  We'll see what the budget looks like when the time comes.
"Buddies" - Don't have any, tempted to get some at one time though, at least the Chewie.
Glasses (past and present) - I have always liked the vintage glasses, still working on getting the rest.  The current releases are nice too, but they could drop the figure (and the price) and it would be fine with me.
Posters - Lots of different posters out there, some really neat ones.
Comics - Tempted by this area sometimes, growing up a comic book kiddo.
Other Books - I have a couple visual guides, and there are so many other Star Wars books out there.
Games - Have a few video games, Trivial Pursuit (which honestly, we never play), and thinking about getting the Monopoly that is currently out (we don't have monopoly in our house, figured just as well get this version).

I know there are other areas that I'm not thinking of right now, but the bottom line is, it is just overwhelming (at least to me) sometimes all the stuff that is out there to pick up.  I'm happy with what I collect, but there are other lines that would be nice to get into as well.  Bottom line is...there's just a lot of STUFF out there in Star Wars land!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Counting Up the Star Wars "Lines"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 02:51 PM »
Just been thinking about this lately, and with some discussion lately of the brand being spread too thin, or in places it maybe shouldn't be, it got me to thinking how many different lines there are out there to collect for us Star Wars fans nowadays.  I'm sure between all of us, we could list pretty much everything.  Here's a start, I'm thinking mostly of continuous lines, not as much the "one shot" things like the Darth Tater Potato Head, although those can count too.

1. Hasbro 3 3/4" Modern Figure Line (including Deluxe, Vehicles, Beasts, etc.)
2. Hasbro 12" Modern Figure Line
3. Hasbro Unleashed Figure/Statue Line
4. Playskool Galactic Heroes Line (and Vehicles)
5. Playskool Jedi Force Line
6. Gentle Giant Mini Busts
7. Gentle Giant "Bust Ups"
8. Star Wars Kubricks
9. Star Wars Attacktix
10. Star Wars WOTC Miniatures
11. Star Wars Hallmark Ornaments
12. Star Wars Kotobukiya Statues
13. Star Wars Code 3 Products
14. Star Wars Collectors Glasses (Past and Present)
15. Star Wars Kenner Vintage 3 3/4" Line (beasts, vehicles, mini rigs, etc.)
16. Star Wars Posters
17. Star Wars Maquettes (Gentle Giant)
18. Star Wars LEGO
19. Star Wars Applause Mugs
20. Star Wars Master Replicas - mini sabers
21. Star Wars Master Replicas - FX Sabers
22. Star Wars Master Replicas - Prop Replicas
23. Star Wars Action Fleet/Micro Machines
24. Star Wars Sideshow Maquettes
25. Star Wars Pez
26. Star Wars Ertl Models
27. Star Wars Trading/Gaming Cards

I know there are more and more (past and present), but I won't list them all, feel free to add to the list if you want to.  Lots of stuff out there to collect/choose from, unbelievable when you think of it.  I don't collect half the lines, but would be interested in some others if I had more expendable income.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 03:46 PM by mosnab »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Counting Up the Star Wars "Lines"
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 02:55 PM »
You keeping track, Brian?

Here's a couple that I have that I didn't see on your list-

-Lego
-Applause Mugs (this could fall into your "Collector Cups" category.  Pretty sure this line is dead, though.  Didn't Applause go out of business?)
Common sense isn't so common

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 02:57 PM »
These also come to mind:

Legos

Master Replicas:
     Mini sabers
     FX sabers
     regular prop replicas

Action Fleet/Micro Machines (though these may now be defunct)

Sideshow maquettes
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 02:58 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 03:13 PM »
You keeping track, Brian?

Not really keeping track I guess, I only collect a handful (or less) really, but just got to thinking about it today with all the product announcements, etc.  Plus, the times I've thought about picking up other lines, but not having the money or space for them, just gets overwhelming at times how much neat stuff (and sometimes, crappy stuff) is out there.  Plus, its a slow day at work :P.  Sorry if it is a pointless thread topic :).

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 03:26 PM »
I meant you keeping track in your original post of any additional items that others mention.  Be neat to see what everyone comes up with.  Not a pointless thread at all.  There's stuff out there I would love to get (MR lightsabers and Code 3 ships come to mind), but, like you said, money and space are big issues.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 03:27 PM »
Oh, ok, misread ya Mikey, my bad.  I'll try to update things on the original post, and see what we can all come up with here.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 03:42 PM »
Pez
Ertl Models

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 04:04 PM »
Marmit-12" Figures. Don't think they make these anymore.  :-\
Fine Molds Models
Tomy-SW Diorama's: Still making these?
Kaiyodo-Soft Vinyl/Resin Figure Kits. Think they ended production. 
Estes Rockets: Still making these?

I see Lego, Pez & Ertl models are popular.  ;D

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 05:50 PM »
Far from pointless!  Along the same thinking, I was wondering about and trying to keep track of all the product lines we'll be seeing for ROTS.  As more and more info pops up about the stuff to come, it's nice to be able to keep track of it all so I can make an "educated" decision about where my hard earned $$ are going to go.  I'll try and add more to the list...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 01:19 AM »
The Tomy mini-dioramas are pretty irregularly released.  Three years to get three series, so I expect they are still a go. 

Tomy also did the mini-mask magnets.

Gentle Giant is also supposed to be doing the mini-helmet schtick that has been delayed for a bit, but rumoured to still be on the way. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 04:11 AM »
Ah, just thought of one: Star Wars Buddies.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 06:48 AM »
Fine Molds Models

Good Lord.  Pick some "normal" lines, would ya' Dale?!  Like ones that more than .001% of people actually collect, ya' know?   ::)

:-*

And FWIW, I think all the models could just go together - like "Models (Ertl, Fine Molds, etc.)"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2005, 06:55 AM »
Fine Molds Models

Good Lord.  Pick some "normal" lines, would ya' Dale?!  Like ones that more than .001% of people actually collect, ya' know?   ::)

:-*

And FWIW, I think all the models could just go together - like "Models (Ertl, Fine Molds, etc.)"

Those are normal lines!  ::)   :P   :-*   ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: February 1, 2005, 04:10 PM »

Yes!  Finally I can get some RotS in-line skates!  Or maybe a RotS Go-Cart!   ::)

Has anyone else checked out the UK Toy Fair reports?  It keeps coming up over and over, but MAN, are they driving this franchise into the ground this summer...

Cookie Jars, Bobble heads, Mugs, Figure Mugs, Shotglasses, barware, amgnets, key-chains, badges, pins, bookmarks, boardgames, medallionz, cards, plates, pens, gumball machines, banks, pop-tarts, cereal, chips, candy, the list goes on and on...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender