Author Topic: Where Does Your Collection Reside?  (Read 47865 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Where Does Your Collection Reside?
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2012, 01:11 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to have my stuff mostly in a controlled, dry, cool basement through most of my years.  The stuff I had I had in more "exposed areas" like a garage has mostly survived, but I have noticed warping on some of my older POTF2 stuff that was exposed to extreme temps. 

Do you have any opportunity to move your other storage out into the garage?  I have to think that ornaments and cake pans and crap can weather the garage environment better than your toys.  Maybe build up some cool, easy access shelving in the garage to get your wife on board with it, then you have more space to work your toys or other stuff into.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2012, 01:37 PM »
What is considered to be the critical temperature threshold? I have all my stuff in a finished attic space, and we have air vents in there but it cools poorly and on 99 degree+ day it is usually pretty warm, low 80's I would estimate. I am very concerned about this lately, not sure how to mitigate the impact though.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2012, 01:56 PM »
What is considered to be the critical temperature threshold? I have all my stuff in a finished attic space, and we have air vents in there but it cools poorly and on 99 degree+ day it is usually pretty warm, low 80's I would estimate. I am very concerned about this lately, not sure how to mitigate the impact though.

I don't know if anyone's ever identified measures to go with this.  Generally I think the cooler, dryer, and darker the better.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline MattCBR

• Youngling
  • on FB as MattCBR
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2012, 10:02 PM »
Right now my collection of 30 or so POTF2 carded figures are in star cases in a tote inside the house... I'll display them at some point... keeping them out of the sun is my biggest priority in the house.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2018, 02:07 PM »
It was listening to the recent episodes of the Toy Run podcast (highly recommend), and they were doing a Q and A about themselves, their collecting, etc. Anyways, their answers about their collection made me think of this thread again. I'm surprised at how many collectors basically don't display much (or any) of their collections. I know I have quite a bit stored away as well, which is probably the story for the majority if us, but it always bothers me to just have stuff sitting in totes forever (part of the reason I've started to sell some of those things).

I think it can be a tough balance, particularly when you have a smaller display area, to have stuff out but at the same time not have things too full and packed to the gills. I know I've been working towards the "less is more" approach, which is an ongoing battle. Anyways, where does your collection reside these days? How much, if any, do you display?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2018, 03:10 PM »
where does your collection reside these days? How much, if any, do you display?

Pics are a couple years outdated (need to do an update photo shoot), but here is my Star Wars room.

I'd guess 90% of what I have is on display in there, the other 10% is vehicles and playsets that are stored in tubs under the tables.  (Not counting my comics collection which is boxed and stored under those tables as well).

I tend to cycle out the table displays a couple times a year to enjoy/see that other 10%.  I'll cycle through table displays for Vintage Kenner Death Star, a Rebel Hangar, the Hoth Battle, Geonosis Arena, AT-TE/MTT, etc.  I usually swap things around when we are having family/friends over so it looks 'fresh' from their last visit.

I have sold a LOT of extra stuff over the past 5 years (since we moved in 2013).  I got tired of owning a bunch of stuff that I didn't/couldn't display and enjoy once in a while.  Might as well sell it and use the money for other things.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2018, 05:39 PM »
Impressive displays Jeff!

I too need to update pictures of my collection.
This is the way.

I have spoken.