Author Topic: No Maxim at Wal Mart!  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: No Maxim at Wal Mart!
« Reply #15 on: May 7, 2003, 03:03 PM »
Ah, Canada.

Previously, in certain respects, quite similar to the US.  Background check (usually 3 week turnaround) and then fine.  Probably 20 years ago that was not necessary, but I was just a bit too young to own a gun then.

Handguns, for the most part, have always been illegal in Canada.  Same goes for automatic weapons and most semi-automatic weapons.  The semi-auto stuff like AR-15s are a no no, for the most part.  Semi-auto hunting rifles are ok, but I believe magazine capacity is limited.  Back to handguns.  You can own them, but they must be registered and you must declare where they will be used.  Typically that is only at a range and then stored at home or range.  There are regulations about transporting them between the two points as well.

Recently, the Federal Goobermint installed the Firearms registration act.  You must now have a firearms acquisition certificate, essentially, a gun license.  This has cost the Feds at least a billion dollars to install, much to the dismay of most of the population.  Those would be tax dollars, not license fees too, though the latter exist, they hardly pay for the registration process.  Many have opted to not have the certificate and as such, are now viewed as criminals.  You need the certificate to purchase and own the weapon and to purchase and own the ammunition.  

Cynically, what it seems to amount to is civilians being charged when the weapons are stolen from their home and are used in the commission of a crime.  There are storage regulations for firearms as well.  Trigger lock, locking cabinet with ammunition locked in a separate compartment from the weapon itself.  

Realistically, it cost one billion dollars and rising and has done nothing to stop the use of firearms in commission of a crime.  That, for all but the political types, seems to be  a no brainer.  Most that are involved in armed crimes don't typically register their weapons.  Do they? ::)

I am completely willing to be corrected on finer points, but it gives you the gist of the regulations.  I do not own any firearms, though I have an FAC.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 7, 2003, 03:54 PM »
I'm just ticked I can't look at it anymore at Wal Mart, Target is a long way away from me,

How much does a subscription cost MikeyD?
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 7, 2003, 04:10 PM »
Morgbug.
 I get the basics of it. Thanks for the run down. Sounds like they want to make ownership difficult to deter those who don't want the hassle.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: May 7, 2003, 04:12 PM »
Probably 20 years ago that was not necessary, but I was just a bit too young to own a gun then.

Who you kidding B?  You're so old, you still weren't very young 20 years ago!!!   :o   ;D   :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 7, 2003, 04:23 PM »

Who you kidding B?  You're so old, you still weren't very young 20 years ago!!!   :o   ;D   :-*

Sadly, you're probably right.  I was indeed 19, just 20 years ago *shudder*.  But all I was interested in was women, booze, sports and sleeping.  I couldn't care less about guns at that time, so wasn't too clear on the rules.

I do recall about 25 years ago, some guy walked into the neighbourhood Canadian Tire (think early, Canadian smaller version of Home Depot) asked to look at a gun (locked in a glass case), the clerk gave it to him.  He slid a bullet from his pocket into the chamber, put it to his head and pulled the trigger.  Boom, dead, right in front of the poor employee.  

That initiated the first change.  All guns on a cable lock with a trigger lock in place in the store.  I believe Canadian Tire got out of selling anything but pellet guns (and later paintball guns) at that point.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 8, 2003, 07:13 AM »
I'm just ticked I can't look at it anymore at Wal Mart, Target is a long way away from me,

How much does a subscription cost MikeyD?

For a first time subscriber, its probably a $1 an issue to hook in you, but once you renew the price goes up to like $17 a year, which is still a hell of lot better than the $5 an issue at the newstands.  Next time your perusing one at the store, take the subscription card and send that bad boy in.
Common sense isn't so common