Author Topic: Has anyone ever used 1-800-FREE-411?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever used 1-800-FREE-411?
« on: January 19, 2006, 12:17 PM »
I got this email today from a co-worker:

"Cell phone companies are charging $1.00 or more for 411 information. When you need to use the 411 / information option, simply dial 800-FREE-411

(800-373-3411) without incurring a charge at all, except for the minutes required to make the call. You can put it in your phonebook and make it a speed dial."

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this yet and if there's any catch - it sounds like the type of thing that would have some strings attached.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever used 1-800-FREE-411?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 12:54 PM »
I 've never used it but may give it a shot. If this is true it'll be the best invention since sliced bread...

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 02:21 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone has tried this yet and if there's any catch - it sounds like the type of thing that would have some strings attached.

I believe the catch lies in forced advertising... it goes something like this:

Let's say you need the number of a restaurant because you want to call ahead and put your name on the waiting list.  We'll use Applebee's as our example.

You call up 1-800-FREE-411 and ask for the number of the Applebee's restaurant nearest you.  The FREE-411 operator says, "sure - one moment please."  The operator then cues up an advertisement for Chili's restaurant.  At the end of the advertisement, the FREE-411 operator asks you if you'd rather be connected to Chili's instead. 

If you say, "no- just give me the dang Applebee's number" then the FREE-411 operator will point out that Chili's has a similar menu and ask again if you want Chili's instead.  If you reject Chili's a second time, then they will put you through to Applebee's like you wanted.

So, if you're willing to be inconvienenced by listening to a 45second comercial folllowed by a hard sell while waiting for them to look up the number you want, then it's an OK service.  If you'd rather just get the number you wanted in the first place, you are better off with the regular 411 service.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 02:27 PM »
What happens if you want an individual's number?

"I'd like the number for Matt Colman, please."

"Would you like to be connected to Phillip Wise instead?  He's far more interesting to tallk to, and a very attractive man."

"No thanks. . .I had a question about big pink sweaters."

"Very well.  Mr. Colman it is."

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 04:36 AM »
He's far more interesting to tallk to, and a very attractive man.

:D

Ah haha, yes.  I like that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 05:04 PM »
What happens if you want an individual's number?

"I'd like the number for Matt Colman, please."

"Would you like to be connected to Phillip Wise instead?  He's far more interesting to tallk to, and a very attractive man."

"No thanks. . .I had a question about big pink sweaters."

"Very well.  Mr. Colman it is."

OUTSTANDING Name!!!!
That's so funny you just made my day, Thanks ;D

« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 05:05 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 6, 2006, 03:28 PM »
Looks like Jeff was spot on:

1. What IS 1-800-FREE-411?
  1-800-FREE411 is a free, nationwide directory assistance service. It is free from all phones, whether you’re calling from home, your business, or your cell phone. If you call from a cell phone your cell phone carrier may charge you minutes according to your cell phone plan as they would with you dialing any other 800 number, but we will not charge you anything.

We are able to provide the service free to you by charging advertisers to play short ads to you before providing you with your requested number. The ads generally run around 15 seconds and are targeted based on the number you requested. For example, if you request a local pizza restaurant you could hear an ad for Domino’s offering you a deal on pizzas. After hearing the ad you have the opportunity to connect to the advertiser or receive the number you originally requested. If you connect to our advertiser the call is free. Always keep in mind that you're still responsible for your own cell phone minutes, but we will not charge you anything at any time.

If you don't want to connect to the advertiser, we'll provide you with the number you originally requested. This is also free.

We also have a free call completion service that is temporarily not available due to the heavy call volume we have been receiving. When the call completion service is available, it is free as well

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2006, 05:20 PM »
It seems like a scam...or maybe it the best invention since sliced bread as mentioned before.
The almighty smurf that has come up with the scheme is either a Genius or a money grabbing Genius.
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2006, 05:41 PM »
I think the final verdict is that it isn't a scam.  You get your number and instead of paying $1.50 or whatever, and advertiser pays the $1.50 to get you to listen to their 15 second ad first.