Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006  (Read 64056 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
JD Fantasy Baseball 2006
« on: February 2, 2006, 03:44 PM »
Once the league is up, I'll set the whole shebang together.  We'll do an on-line draft like we did for Baseball on a predetermined night in late March

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Sign me up.

Are we going to address the whole SP/RP thing and find a way to eliminate that disadvantage or are we just going to go about our business normally.

I'd also personally prefer it if you didn't get negative points for pitching losses - and if we are going to have negative points, I think either a win should be worth more or a loss should lose you less than last time around...
« Last Edit: February 2, 2006, 09:46 PM by Rob »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 2, 2006, 07:22 PM »
Interested, but I'll wait to see how we get the rules set up this time. I'd hate to see a re-run of the rules fights.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2006, 12:54 AM »
I'm in.  But I am away from the 24th to the 29th of March.  Please work around that if you can. 

I'll second Rob's comments regarding pitching.  I'd suggest a lower but still negative point score for a pitching loss. 

With respect to the SP/RP thing, we need to find a way to cap it I think.  We might be hamstrung by the yahoo designations so that we can't do anything about what pitchers get the designation, but if we limit the number of starts, then maybe?  I dunno, I'm no baseball genius, that much is certain, but just throwing a suggestion out there.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2006, 01:19 AM »
I've been trying to come up with a way to make it fair and I've had three basic ideas...

One is to make everyone aware of the advantage having a SP/RP player who functioned as a relief pitcher but could get a guy a save in a SP slot using only 1.0 or 1.2 innings.  Then people draft accordingly and will spend higher draft picks on those guys instead of grabbing them as free agents after the draft.

Two - if Yahoo can designate all pitching positions by games instead of innings, this might limit the advantage since you couldn't plug in a RP into a SP slot and only spend 1 inning, you'd have to use the same 1 game that a 9 inning start from a pitcher costs - I favor this if it's possible anyway because that way a guy who pitches a complete game doesn't cost more than a guy who gets a win after six innings.

The other option is to just make saves worth a lot less than wins - a LOT less.  Then people might not load up on relief pitchers as fast.

There are probably holes to all three of these ideas - so let's hear them and keep brainstorming.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2006, 01:21 AM by Rob »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 3, 2006, 06:27 AM »
In.

3 years.  3 titles.  Dressel Dynasty baby!

About the scoring system, I'm down for whatever, as long as it's laid out before the draft and stuck to for the whole season.

I kinda dig the traditional point system we've done for the past couple years.  Maybe we could raise Wins from 7 to 14 and keep saves at 5, plus shorten the amount of innings pitched allowed?

Or we could always move to a rotisserie format like basketball.

It's funny, we made an attempt last year to fix the wins and saves thing, but raising the Win value from 5 to 7 didn't near make up for it.  So maybe if a Win is worth 14 that'll do the trick.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 3, 2006, 10:28 AM »
A fourth option is to just eliminate points from saves all together and then keep wins at 7 or move them to whatever we want.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: February 3, 2006, 10:49 AM »
Saves need to have some value

Pitching and Hitting should be at least comparable point wise and I'd be fine with some more tweaking

Maybe see what A-Rod and Pujols would have on a point system vs potential 1st Round SP and RP

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2006, 10:54 AM »
It looks like if we do a free league we will have to do the draft here instead of live

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2006, 01:29 PM »
I'll tell you how you fix it: you do a heads-up league instead of points.  Make an even number of categories for both pitchers and hitters and go head-to-head with each other like the Yahoo free leagues.  Then you guys won't have issues with scoring.  Have fun.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2006, 12:55 AM »
I'm in, so long as there's a real draft and not one that's forum-based.  Scott, where are you seeing that we can't do a draft in a free league?

As far as scoring goes, I've always been a big fan of the rotisserie scoring over a points-based system.

John

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2006, 08:38 AM »
We can do one but it has to be at like 8 in the morning during the week

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2006, 11:24 AM »
Because of your schedule or because that's all Yahoo allows?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2006, 02:58 PM »
I'm in, so long as there's a real draft and not one that's forum-based.  Scott, where are you seeing that we can't do a draft in a free league?

As far as scoring goes, I've always been a big fan of the rotisserie scoring over a points-based system.

John

No offense, but that's going to be mighty tough to arrange.  I travel a lot in the winter and while the online draft is tedious as hell, it's about the only way I can manage the baseball one. 

If you can do it on the week I'm on holidays (during the daytime) then no problem :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2006, 05:05 PM »
That is all Yahoo allows