Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006  (Read 64049 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2006
« Reply #75 on: April 4, 2006, 03:48 PM »
Looks like I gave up on Thome a year too soon...   ::)

If his back holds up he's starting off for what should be a monster of a season...

Yeah he just homered again today.  Thome for the past 5 years has been a lock for .280 40 HR 100+ RBI.  I knew after he signed with the Sox he was healthy.  I also got him at a huge discount in round 14.  I basically pulled the same stunt that I did last year when I got Richie Sexson, who also had a monster year.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #76 on: April 5, 2006, 11:50 AM »
Guys, sorry about my disappearance from the league.  Long story, but to summarize it was just a stupid move on my part.  I was in a public league, decided to leave it, and left JD instead.  I realized it not long after, deleted myself from the public league, then forgot to sign back up for JD.  :(  Hope I didn't screw anything up, though it looks like everything worked out OK.

John

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 5, 2006, 12:48 PM »
I don't think you did any harm to us, but another player would have been nice in the mix.  Sorry you're not in there John.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 5, 2006, 04:28 PM »
I don't think you did any harm to us, but another player would have been nice in the mix.  Sorry you're not in there John.

Yeah I wouldn't have minded another victim  :D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #79 on: April 5, 2006, 05:01 PM »
Thome was about the only guy I wanted that got drafted before I got a chance to take him, waited one turn too long.  He was a great pick that late, I had Thome and Blalock set in my queue and was going to pull the trigger on either of them

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 5, 2006, 07:16 PM »
Thome was about the only guy I wanted that got drafted before I got a chance to take him, waited one turn too long.  He was a great pick that late, I had Thome and Blalock set in my queue and was going to pull the trigger on either of them

I always look for that guy too.  Last year, Richie Sexson was coming off a year where he was out for the Brewers all year long with a shoulder injury, signed the money deal with the Mariners in the offseason, and I stole him in the late rounds where he went on to produce 39 HR 121 RBI.  Sexson had always been good for 40 HR/100 RBI.  The similarities between him and Thome are striking.  Last year Thome was out all year for the Phils, and he too had always been a 40 HR (5 straight years) 100 RBI guy.  Then he signed the deal with the Sox and now he's coming charging out of the box off to a great start.

Zod and I were talking about how I predicted he'd finish in the top 3 last year when I saw how he drafted Soriano, Manny Ramirez and Jim Thome as his first 3.  Well, much like the forecasts I made this year, it's contingent on players not getting injured, and unfortunately, losing a high-round player like Thome is basically irreplaceable. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 7, 2006, 12:40 PM »
What a freaky thing this is.  Scott, how appropriate that you picked up Chris Shelton.  This might be insider information, I think we should launch an investigation. 

I submit Exhibit A, Scott Pearson:

Now look closely, here is Exhibit B, Detroit's first baseman Chris Shelton:

Scott Pearson IS Chris Shelton.  This is worse than Pete Rose betting on baseball.  Scott, you can't sign yourself as a free agent to your own fantasy baseball team just because you're about to face the bad starting pitching of the Texas Rangers.  I'm playing this season under protest...
« Last Edit: April 7, 2006, 12:44 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 7, 2006, 01:53 PM »
I spent about ten minutes this morning with Chris Shelton selected as 'add' to my team trying to decide who to cut.  I couldn't justify cutting any of my 'potential relievers' and I'm thin on back-up bats as it is... so I passed.

Here's hoping his hot bat is just a product of playing the Texas Rangers and he comes back to Earth next week.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #83 on: April 7, 2006, 01:57 PM »
I needed another 1B since Kevin drafted 8 of them and he's as good as any out there right now, two Tigers on a team though aren't so hot.  Although I really like Granderson too

He sort of does look like me, I rule

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 7, 2006, 11:02 PM »
Which one of us is "El Diablos"?  I'm fighting the overwhelming need to correct the spanish grammar in that team name...

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 7, 2006, 11:43 PM »
I needed another 1B since Kevin drafted 8 of them

Wrong.

He I rule

Wrong.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2006, 12:11 AM »
What's INF mean?  Under Isringhausen's WHIP and ERA for the night it says INF - I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that he apparently gave up a grand slam without getting a single out.  I'm wondering if maybe he didn't put those guys on base so maybe he wasn't responsible for the runs?  Or is it because he gave up a bunch of runs without getting any outs and it's something really bad for my team numbers?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2006, 12:30 AM »
What's INF mean?  Under Isringhausen's WHIP and ERA for the night it says INF - I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that he apparently gave up a grand slam without getting a single out.  I'm wondering if maybe he didn't put those guys on base so maybe he wasn't responsible for the runs?  Or is it because he gave up a bunch of runs without getting any outs and it's something really bad for my team numbers?

Yeah Izzy did a nice job there.

"INF" stands for "infinity," that being that the ERA and WHIP cannot be calculated for this outing since he did not record an out.  ERA is runs/innings, and WHIP is Walks+Hits/innings, so that denominator in both cases is zero.  Ordinarily, when an out is recorded, 1/3rd of an inning is placed in the denominator per out.

Don't worry though, those earned runs are put in the numerator of your team equation  :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 12:34 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2006, 12:40 AM »
I was afraid it meant infinity.   >:(

So if I follow, it just can't be calculated for the specific intance but it can be factored into my team's overall WHIP and ERA.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2006, 12:43 AM »
Right.  If one guy gave up 2 runs in 6 innings (3.00 ERA) and another gave up 4 runs in no innings (Inf ERA), your team ERA is 9.00.

John