Author Topic: Dremeling peg heads into ball-jointed heads.  (Read 3657 times)

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
Dremeling peg heads into ball-jointed heads.
« on: February 7, 2006, 11:07 PM »
 I need somebody who can do this for me. Can anyone do this and if so, can I see pics of the result? I need my captain typho head, which is a peg jointed head, to be fully articulated as a ball-jointed one for a custom. Can someone do this for me or give me a tutorial on it if it isn't very hard?

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
Re: Dremeling peg heads into ball-jointed heads.
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2006, 11:41 PM »
Yeah i've been wondering about that for a while now.
I think that you would use a dremel drill(obvious).
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline Phalanxx

• Jedi Initiate
  • I aim to misbehave
    • View Profile
    • Phalanxx Designs
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2006, 10:16 AM »
I have recently being experimenting with this and it has worked out pretty well.  I used it on my Jedi Zoran Erida. I converted a pegged head to fit on an ROTS Red Leader Obi-wan.  The Figure can be seen here.

Here is what I did.

With the head warm (either from  boiling water or a hairdryer). I used an exacto knife and cut a "V" shape alone the jawline and the hairline as shown below.

Then holding the head upside down with a pair of piliers, I drill a small pilot hole up into the head at the point on the "V" with my dremel.  Then I use a 1/4" tapered bit on my dremel to hollow out the head.  Dremel also has different sizes of cutting bits depending on the size of the hole needed.

I would recommend practicing on a few spare heads first.  I also want to thank chewie for walking me through the process the first time I tried this mod. 
Visit www.phalanxxdesigns.com - Custom Figures and Cardbacks.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2006, 11:18 AM »
Thanks! I'll have to try that! although, I am very noobish at dremelling. So noobish, in fact, that I'm going out to get one today because I've put it off for too long :P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2006, 03:30 PM »
I've actually just done this on about 7 or 8 heads in the last week or so, with pretty good results so far. It really isn't as bad as it may sound. Like Phalanxx said practice ona spare head first so you don't mess up the head you are trying to use.
"This is the way."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2006, 04:17 PM »
I've also done this a few times and practice definitely helps.  One thing I can add, is that working with a small head is very nerve-racking (or at least it was for me).  Its very easy for the dremel to slip and I've always worried I'm going to grind my fingers to the bone  ;)  So far no major injuries.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2006, 04:28 PM »
Wow, nice tutorial! I just used your instructions to dremel out a BBi sculpt to fit a clone neck post, and I got it done on my first try. Thanks alot, this opens up new ways for me being able to use heads with the peg ruined to fit on a ball joint head.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2006, 04:46 PM »
Yes, excellent tutorial Phalanxx!  That's how I do that method too, though at times I'll still cut off a torso's neck ball knob and drill into it.  Either method can work.  Definitely try this on junk figures first though.

:P

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Well, I didn't, but I was very careful and continuously making sure the ball wouldn't be too big. It's really cool, I'll pics soon. My camera's fixed now.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...