Author Topic: 2006 American International Toy Fair  (Read 26117 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2006 American International Toy Fair
« on: January 19, 2006, 12:02 PM »
So, we're just a little over 3 weeks from this year's Toy Fair.

What are you hoping to see?  Have questions you'd like our Toy Fair crew to ask Hasbro?

Personally, I hope Hasbro has info for us about the stupid Bounty Hunt figures.  I'd really like to know what's what before they hit (which could be March at the current pace  :P).  I also can't wait to get a look at some of the other waves we haven't seen yet, including the 2006 vOTC line-up, the Endor Wave, the Naboo wave, and the Yavin/Death Star wave!   

Hopefully the rumored Ewok Village 3PO will be as articulated as we all want and I'm curious as to which Pod Racers made the cut for the Naboo wave.  Here's to hoping that Ben Quadrinaros finally makes the cut!   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 American International Toy Fair
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 12:46 PM »
I want some sort of surprise large vehicle like an AT-TE or Turbo Tank.  I'm sick of them not making stuff like that ever.

So, I would like if possible these two questions asked -

(1) Why have you not made an AT-TE or a Turbo Tank?  Repacks like the Falcon are not selling, so why not try something NEW?  An AT-TE or a Turbo Tank with 4 exclusive Clones might really be popular.

(2) Why do you not make diorama-esque playsets?  Sideshow is proving that the 12" line could be a lot better, so why not let them or Gentle Giant purchase the rights to make quality playsets?  Maybe show them this for an example:

:P

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 01:52 PM »
Here are a few ideas for questions: 

Yeah, someone ask them if they are willing to let another company like SS or whomever take a stab at playsets and/or larger vehicles.   I am sure they won't give it up but it would be interesting to hear what their response or non-response is to that idea. 

If so let's get another update on the whole Tonnika Sisters thing.  Since there was that big rumor coming from C3 try to see if that was all B.S. or what? 

Bounty Hunt - any and all info on that. 

Also ask if those 5 VOTC are it for this year.  It seems like 5 of those is incomplete to me.   Why no ESB VOTCs?

See if they are going to make more Evolutions this year or ever. 

Padme - Maybe they can get an etailer or SWShop.com to make some Padmes since these retailers don't like carrying her.  I am sure there would be fans buying Padme if they actually made some outfits she has not been in figure form yet.  Maybe a 4 pack like that Lucas Collection. 

Lars - Are they ever going to be make Cliegg, Owen, and/or Beru? 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 03:29 PM »
1.  What will the suggested SRP be for the new VOTC?

2.  Please clarify the details on the new mailaway figure program - will it be POP's from only the Bounty Hunt figures?  Will there be Bounty Hunt versions of the VOTC?

3.  Will we see another wave of "large" Unleashed figures after the shock trooper wave this Fall?  Speaking of Unleashed, are you happy with the success of the Battle Packs?

4.  Are the new lines targeted towards younger collectors (Transformers, Choppers, Titanium) living up to retailers' expectations?

5.  When can we expect to find the new AT-AT and Gunship?   And what will the SRP's be for each?

6.  Can you divlulge any information in regards to 2007?  Will we see something special to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of SW?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 03:30 PM by ruiner »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 03:46 PM »
Really great questions here so far, hopefully we'll get some information at ToyFair.  I'm sure many things will be met with the cryptic responses as usual, but hopefully we'll get something new.  I'm really looking forward to see some of the future TSC waves for this year, particularly the OT-based ones.  I'd also like to get a little bit of insight into how packed the figure lineup will be this year.  50-60 figures, or up to 100?  I'm guessing more in the normal range of 50, but if this pace continues it could be more.  I really hope we see the new VOTC, and hear news about that line in general.  Will there be an ESB (or POTF) wave?  What will the pricepoint be?  I just hope there are a lot of new figures (and hopefully vehicles...or -grasping at straws- playsets).  As far as general questions...they mainly echo others so far:

-What are the plans for the VOTC?  More figures later this year?

-The "big" Unleashed line.  Will we see this line continue beyond the Han/Shock/Chewie repack/repainted wave?  If so, what is next for this line?

-Information on the future of the line.  Plans for 2007 and beyond.  Are things coming to an end?  I'm guessing we won't get any concrete answer on this, but hopefully they are dedicated to the future of the line.

-Bounty Hunt/VOTC Mail In, etc. - Clear this up for everyone, please.

-"Other" Lines - will they be continuing, if so, which ones (Force Battlers, Galactic Heroes, Unleashed, Unleashed BP, Transformers, Choppers, Titanium, etc.)?

I like Broem's idea of the Padme 4-pack.  Although the SWShop figures are more expensive, if this is what it will take for us to get a few more Padme figures, I'd pay it.  I think most of us would.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 04:04 PM »
Haven't we all learned that asking Hasbro questions is usually pointless?

Anyway, I'm hoping to see some of the stuff from the summer/fall.  Possibly some confirmation of the rumored figs like Hermi Odle, and CZ-3.

I think it will also be important to convey our concern over the possiblity of chase figures.  Explain that other well loved collector lines have died due to frustration and aggravation.  Also point out that if they go ahead with chase figures and varients and other nonsense, they are admitting that the line is for collectors, and not for kids.

(Granted we don't know what this Bounty Hunt stuff really is yet, and it could be nothing.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 04:12 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 09:59 AM »
I'll tell you what I don't want to see, product beyond wave 8. :-X
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 10:44 AM »
1.  Galactic Heroes ships?  How about a Tie or Vaders Tie?

2.  Cloud Car? Sounds like there is still a huge demand. 

3.  We need a new DS Trooper. Any chance for a VOTC version?  And maybe a
      running change of Black/Grey for the DS Trooper?

4.  VOTC POTF?  If so when?

5.  Any chance of a VOTC line of what could of been?  Tarkin, Rebel Trooper,
     Sandtrooper, etc.

6.  Ewoks?  Its no longer the 80's and we've gotten over much of our hate
     towards them.  Is this the reason so few have been made to this point?

7.  Any thoughts for repacking VOTC figs or changing up the cardbacks?  For
     example a Vader on a Star Wars card versus the ESB?  Kind of what was done
     with the original vintage line.

8.  Animated figs to continue with new TV show? 

9.  Any update with figure tie-ins for the new live action show coming? 

10.  When will we see a Basic Carded Barc Trooper and Mygeeto Snowtrooper?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 10:47 AM by Jim »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 11:52 AM »
Jim has some good ones listed...  Here's a 10 list for me.

1. What's the chances of seeing the Evolutions Line continue?  Seems like it was a hit at retail, and the figures were pretty top-rate.  I'd personally like to see an Imperial Trooper and Rebel Trooper set at some point.

2. Has Hasbro considered resculpting the Snowspeeder, Speederbike, or AT-ST so they were to-scale with the figures, better detailed, and just generally improved like the Landspeeder was?  That seems like the 3 most "doable" resculpt ships/vehicles.

3. Articulation's still an issue of some concern.  While the ROTS line came out swinging wtih a LOT of figures that were borderline super articulated in the basic line, it seems Saga 06 has been a let down with some of the articulation we've seen so far like lacking knee joints on Han, Veers, Derlin, etc.  Is this a regression across the board, or is Hasbro going to be stepping it up a notch in the future?  I personally think the POTC Cantina Wave was the ideal "Basic Standard" articulation for the line, while some figures will deserve less (senators) and still other figures will deserve more (army builders, Jedi, etc.), I feel the Cantina Wave is the nice middle ground for good poseability...  So can we get that? :)

4. What's up with the Bounty Hunt deal?  Spill it.

5. Why not re-issue the "Imperial Officer" with all 3 headsculpts but in grey uniforms?  Seems like a slam dunk.

6. Will we be seeing VOTC figures making their way into the basic line.  The Stormtrooper, Chewbacca, Han, and others are truly definitive looks at these characters, so it'd be really nice to see them re-appear in the line as THE sculpt Hasbro uses when they want that character in that outfit out on the pegs.

7. Also will you consider slight resculpting to VOTC figures to offer something new, but at a lower cost to Hasbro?  For instance, Leia with a "hood up" head would go over well I think, especially if she came with the proper sporting blaster.  A Han with gloved hands, and maybe a headset would be interesting and appreciated...  I'd even buy VOTC Chewbacca again if he came with a new Dejarrik board with the game pieces (be cool if it had them all actually).

8. Playsets...  What's the possibility of smaller modular ones that form a larger set?  If they have endless addition ability and combinations, they could be a hugely popular item I think.

9. The holo figures are different, but how much would you estimate an "accessory" like that cuts into the overall production cost of a figure?  I think people prefer a quality poseable action figure over a mini-holographic statue that costs money to tool a mold and such, so there is concern out there that the holos are cutting into the final figure's overall quality we're seeing.

10. Is the VOTC line going to be overtaking the $10 pricepoint normally reserved for Deluxe or "Ultra" figures?  It did during the OTC line, so is that what we should expect now in Saga '06?

I'm really interested in that answer on the Evolutions line.  Hasbro has a goldmine in that concept and just up and dropped it.  Makes no sense.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Here's a question for all the JD members - do you not care about playsets/larger vehicles?  Why so much concern about the VOTC line but no interest in playsets/larger vehicles (which were our favorite thing when we were kids!)?  Heck, if we don't even care about them here, then no wonder they don't make them.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 12:17 PM »
Here's a question for all the JD members - do you not care about playsets/larger vehicles? 

While I'd most likely buy new playsets (damn OCD), I honestly don't really care if they make more playsets.

#1 - I don't have the room to set them up and keep them that way.  I have limited display space and having big playsets set up eats away at that space way more than 25-30 figures on a shelf does.

#2 - The playsets they do make are often:
a) not to scale
b) overpriced for what you get
c) not movie/screen accurate
(re: Geonosis Arena and Mustafar Playset for examples)

#3 - My number one passion in this hobby is the figures themselves.  The playset and vehicles are great, but again they are display space hogs.  While I'd love an giant DS playset, I don't have anywhere to put it other than the closet.   :(

For Toy Fair, I'm way more interested in things like the "Bounty Hunt" chases and vOTC-06 because I know they are coming.  I'm much more interested in learning about the who/what/when/why/wheres of those products than an etherial Hasbro non-answer about the future of playsets (because you know deep down that any playset/AT-TE question will just get the same "it's on our list if we can find a place for it" type of non-answer).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 12:34 PM »
For Toy Fair, I'm way more interested in things like the "Bounty Hunt" chases and vOTC-06 because I know they are coming.  I'm much more interested in learning about the who/what/when/why/wheres of those products than an etherial Hasbro non-answer about the future of playsets (because you know deep down that any playset/AT-TE question will just get the same "it's on our list if we can find a place for it" type of non-answer).

That's kind of my thinking on the playsets as well.  Don't get me wrong, I'd really like to see them and hope that we do...but I just don't think its going to happen at this point.  The only thing I could see is if they "farmed out" the line to someone else, as has been suggested.  Space is a concern for me as well, but I would likely pick up any OT-based playsets they would put out.  I'd especially like to see the Dagobah and Death Star playsets, even if they were just re-released from the vintage days.  I think from the answers Hasbro has given in the past though, it isn't very likely unfortunately.  We can always hope though.  Like Jeff mentioned, I'm more focused on things that can (and hopefully will) actually happen...like more VOTC, upcoming figure waves, and figuring out this whole Bounty Hunt nonsense.  Don't get me wrong though, I'd like me some playsets too, and hope that they are in our future somehow.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 12:49 PM »
I understand that Hasbro absolutely sucks when it comes to playsets.  That's why I'm pushing for them to sell the rights to someone like Gentle Giant.  Remember the Master Replica (at least I think it's by them) metal Death Star we've seen pics of?  That thing is beautiful, yet way out of most people's price range.  Something like that, cast in plastic for a couple hundred bucks would be what I am referring to, not the craptastic playsets we've gotten like the Arena and Mustafar.

I guess to me, the VOTC, Bounty Hunt, hologram figures, etc. are going to be coming no matter what, and in due time we're going to get answers to those questions.  If you ask them only questions like that, you are asking them the questions they want you to ask them.  Those are simple questions for them to answer, and at least in my opinion, pointless questions like Speedermike said. 

I like to ask the more difficult questions, like "Seeing that you have passed on movie style playsets and the ones you do make look nothing like the sets we see in the films, why do you not allow someone else to take over the license for them?"

Also in the same mindframe, "Why do you pass on making movie style/accurate playsets and vehicles, yet you decide to waste time, money and resources on Star Wars Choppers, Galactic Heroes, Transformers, etc?"

Heck, for that matter, they could go into modular playsets that connect to each other, similar to the Simpsons Interactive playsets.  $20.00 a pop and you get a nice little diorama with three walls, a floor and a figure.  Sure would be better than Cinema Scenes or Screen Scenes I would think.  Why not ask them that?

Instead of asking them for just details on rumors that we already have some information on, why not ask them some "why" questions too?  ...they should see pics of that Star Destoyer Owen D. made, but I get the feeling nobody will show them that.  There are people out there that desire such items.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 12:55 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 01:24 PM »
Those are simple questions for them to answer, and at least in my opinion, pointless questions like Speedermike said. 

Well, I guess it's a difference of opinion then about what is or isn't a pointless question.   ;)

In my mind, questions that Hasbro can and will answer to clear things up about upcoming products aren't pointless because people are interested in the answers as soon as they can get them (as proven by the interest demonstrated in this thread).

When it comes to questions like "Why can't you sell the playset rights to GG or MR?"  (which scares me because then they'd be even MORE pricey than the Hasbro ones), well questions like that are more suited to SDCC or other functions where actual Hasbro product development people are in attendance.

Often, at Toy Fair all there is on hand is sales people who know a lot about the product they are showing and that's it.  To ask those people questions like you are wanting is, in my opinion, pointless because they either won't know or can't answer them appropriately.

With that aside though, we can certainly add the questions to the list and see what we can try to get answered...

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 01:35 PM »
While I respect Chewie's desire (and passion) for more playsets/vehicles, I think it's safe to say that Hasbro (from here on out) is only concerned with "milking" the SW license.

I would bet my house on the fact that the Big H will not release new playsets/vehicles (newly tooled) from this point on.

It's sad to say, but I just don't think they can justify the payback.

Jeff - who from the JD staff gets to go to NY?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 01:36 PM by ruiner »