Author Topic: 2006 American International Toy Fair  (Read 26119 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 American International Toy Fair
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2006, 08:02 AM »
Well - I'm a little late with the questions, but here are mine:

1) With the Bounty Hunt promotion, will the stickers/cards/whatever that are extra on those figures be unique for each figure, and you will be required to compile a set of all ten (e.g. card/sticker 1 of 10, 2 of 10, 3 of 10, etc...) or if you find say for example six bounty hunts in all one shot, but they're 3x Scorch and 3x AT-AT Driver, can those be six cards/stickers to use towards a GL Stormtrooper?

2) Why no ESB VOTC figures this year?

3) What is the status on re-releasing the Cloud Car?

4) Why not re-release some of the smaller playsets from the vintage line with better paint ops? Dagobah, Ewok Villiage and Star Destroyer Bridge would be great again.

5) Why not re-release the mini-rigs with better paint ops? This should be an easy way to get a variety of vehicles out there at the $10 - $15 price point.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2006, 01:15 PM »
Good points Jesse, and you make perfect sense in what you are saying.  While I do agree that some companies aren't set up to make playsets and they might have to switch gears to do so, they had to do that exact thing to get themselves the niches they are currently in.  So I don't think it's impossible.  For the taste of wanting things to scale, I just see that as impossible.  I'd rather have a Falcon, Sail Barge, AT-AT, etc. at a smaller scale than not have one at all.  To never have had a Falcon or AT-AT would be a huge subtraction from the Star Wars toy lineup.  So, I'm thankful that back in the day they made those molds.  The AT-AT's, while underscaled, are still the behemoths of any 3-3/4" collection.  And look absolutely awesome and portray the "power" of Star Wars.

For the comparison of the Screen Scenes to playsets, I don't see a comparison actually.  Most of the Jedi Council ones were rehashes of pegwarmers.  I don't see that as qualifiying as a playset.  The Separatist ones also had some rehashes in them, and again were in the line of Cinema Scenes, which we all know always have been pegwarmers.  It's not accurate to compare them to mini-playsets in my opinion.  Just a few figures thrown in with a piece of plastic for a centerpiece.

Whether or not the playset/large vehicle questions are asked, the reason I said it seemed like the direction of this thread towards not asking those questions is because they were already being shot down by staff members here, trying to already give Hasbro's answers.  And you are probably right, they won't answer the questions with any specifics, so it's probably pointless in me even trying.  I was just trying to inquire what could be done (like maybe something similar to the mini-Simpson sets) rather than asking questions they are going to be releasing the answers to soon anyway, but if the interest isn't there by collectors or by Hasbro, then it's a waste of time to ask, and maybe that is why God created the art of customizing.

:P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2006, 02:18 PM »
Whether or not the playset/large vehicle questions are asked, the reason I said it seemed like the direction of this thread towards not asking those questions is because they were already being shot down by staff members here, trying to already give Hasbro's answers.

I don't think you're being fair CHEWIE.  Jeff started this thread to find out what everyone wanted to know from Hasbro at Toy Fair, and that's what the first number of posts were about.  Everyone has different interests and focuses, some want to know about particular lines of figures, some want to know about lines outside the 3 3/4" figures, and you mentioned that you want to know about playsets.  All very reasonable.

When you asked the question about why JD'ers weren't interested in playsets, everyone (in this thread) simply explained that it wasn't their focus of collecting.  Here was your post:

Here's a question for all the JD members - do you not care about playsets/larger vehicles?  Why so much concern about the VOTC line but no interest in playsets/larger vehicles (which were our favorite thing when we were kids!)?

Just because some other members aren't as interested in playsets as you, doesn't mean it's not a legitimate area to discuss with Hasbro (and we mentioned that we'd be glad to put forth your questions).  But it also doesn't mean that your area of interest is more important than others either.  Very limited information has been provided for a number of figure lines, like the VOTC and Bounty Hunt figures, so a lot of people naturally want to know more.  It's like showing a bone to a dog, but not allowing him to chew on it.  We just want our bone.  :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2006, 02:37 PM »
Jesse, I understand and I'm not trying to be unfair at all and apologize if I came off as not caring about the opinions of anyone else.  I think there is some interest in the collecting community for Hasbro to try something different with the playsets ideas, but a lot of people just seem to think it's a hopeless cause.  I don't view anything as being hopeless (and I'm not just talking Star Wars).  Unlikely?  Yeah.  But hopeless, no.

Our opinions were asked, so I gave my opinion, that's all my intention was.  I try and have a "can do" outlook and look for possiblities. 

Again, I didn't mean anything negative, I just viewed my inquiry as having a negative reaction and almost like I was being laughed at for thinking these things are possible, that's all.  Kind of like "Come on CHEWIE, don't waste your breath."  I probably took it too personal and was too sensitive about it.

So, whatever you guys want to do is fine, I appreciate the thread being started.  I understand there might not be time for many questions, or any questions at all for that matter.  So if there is time, ask the ones that most people are curious about.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 02:57 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2006, 01:09 AM »
Well it is frustrating that playsets or decent playsets are not out there really.  Hell Hasbro or these other companies put out every other kind of collectible you can think of related to the SW but nobody really puts out any decent playsets/large vehicles (a few attempts have been made I know).  Really think about it there are basic figs, 12 inch, Unleashed, Battle Packs, Attactix, Statues (which are quite high in price), Kubricks, 400% Kubricks, Fast Food Promos, Galactic Heroes, Choppers, Transformers, Titanium vehicles, DieCast figures, models, medium size vehicles, clothing, DVDs, Action Fleet vehicles, etc, etc, etc. 

You would just think playsets would be kind of a no brainer really.  Or at least a few like the Death Star.  But most of that stuff up there listed does involve the characters in some sort of figure form.  It just kind of blows that there are no real environments to put them in. 

I guess you just have to become a diorama maker and spend money on the materials to make that stuff?  For now at least.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2006, 02:22 AM »
I do think somthing should be said about future playsets or dioramas with a pack in figure. Look at how cool the old Deathstar Playsets are, or the trash compactor sets!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2006, 11:42 AM »
Playsets like those trash compactor sets are very cool, similar to the modular playset idea.  I think that would be the way to go for playsets.

From what I understand, ToyFair can be frustrating because only salepeople are present, not the developers.  So they are only familiar with items that are already designed and going to hit stores in the next few months.  So if they don't already have plans for playsets, I'm guessing they won't be able to tell us much.  Of course, I'd love to be wrong about that and have them reveal some plans that haven't been rumoured yet.  :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2006, 01:43 AM »
If the trash compactors had had walls and a roof, they'd be perfect I think...  Something one could have built off of and integrated into a larger diorama or great stand-alone items.  They were more or less just a base in pretty packaging, but the idea's there at least... 

Still though, that "base" in pretty packaging was pretty expensive...  Makes one wonder again just what a small item that was more than that would come in at.  Hasbro seems incapable or unwilling to work on bigger ticket items for value.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2006, 10:59 AM »
The trash compactor sets are a great example.  I wonder if they could do something like that, with three walls (no roof) and just one figure packed in (like an SA army builder) for $20-$25.00?  I would be so happy if they did. 

They could do all sorts of little rooms like that.

- Geonosis Droid Factory w/ Battle Droid
- Yavin control room w/ Rebel Technician
- Death Star Hallway w/ Stormtrooper
- etc.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2006, 01:51 PM »
I would prefer the dioramas like that if nothing else.  Or even those cardboard dioramas were not all that bad of the Cantina and Jabbas Palace.  I am sure not what most have in mind, but it's better than zilch.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2006, 02:34 PM »
I know some people liked those cardboard dioramas, and for what they were, they weren't that bad.  I do wish they'd make plastic ones though.  If they made that cantina like that molded in plastic, I'd be thrilled.  Makes me want to go back and remake my original custom cantina.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2006, 05:15 AM »
I'm to the point that if they made the U-Piece of the bar I'd be fairly content...  A drink dispenser would be icing on the cake...

The bar itself, I dunno.  The cardboard sets are cool but I probably would never be happy with a plastic counterpart unless it really was made to be "built" upon by someone.  Like Hasbro built it wiht the intention that people would build the rest of the Cantina around it...

Now little sections of the Cantina that include a booth, or the U-bar piece, or the dispenser, or a table w/chairs...  That'd be cool.  It'd be basically supplying you with the detail parts, and if you want the building you just build it yourself.  That'd be a great helping hand I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2006, 09:48 AM »
If only that cardboard cantina were made of plastic.  That would be one sweet playset.  The current one looks nice but just dont hold up because of the cheapness of materials.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Now we're talking.  The Pride Displays seem to be somewhere on track on what I am trying to get at for diorama displays, at least with this one -

It's a fair depiction of Palpatine's office.  It looks like the "rock" pieces on the sides and the Mustafar front piece can be removed to make the whole setting more of a Coruscant one.

I'm buying this for sure.  Any way this can be shown to Hasbro, and asked if they have any sort of similar plans?  Funny how other companies seem to want to do things like this, but Hasbro does not.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Personally, I think that display looks a little lame.  It's just too random.  Anyway, it's just a display and not a playset.  I would rather have corny, but fun, stuff like the Mustafar playset, than something like that.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com