Author Topic: New JD Review: Evolutions - Sith Lords  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD Review: Evolutions - Sith Lords
« on: February 13, 2006, 08:11 PM »
Oh Evolutions...  How Do I love thee?  Let me count the ways...

Yeah, all good things must come to an end, and in this case I've rounded out reviewing the Evolutions Assortment by taking my usual in-depth look at the last in the series, The Evolutions: Sith Lords set.

The set is fantastic from top to bottom...  Darth Maul's the weakest in the set, but when your weakest is only that way because of angle-cut elbows, you really can't argue a whole lot.  Dooku and Palpatine both chime in as super articulated incarnations of their characters, and Maul does too besides his elbow joints.

With lots of softgoods accessories like skirt extensions, capes, and robes, the trio are quite poseable. 

As with the usual though, some extra accessories or more neutral headsculpts would have been appreciated, but not necessary really.  Check out the review though to see what all hit and missed with this, be prepared to read for a little while though, and of course come back and chime in with your thoughts.

To me, it's probably the best set overall out of the Evolutions series...  Quality in this set wasn't matched by the other two, so while the characters weren't necessarilly the most looked forward to, the execution was quite nice and shows Hasbro stepping out with their best foot forward in action figures.  Big ups to Hasbro for another knock-out in the short-lived series...

Now will they make more?  The question hangs there unanswered and nobody seems to want to ask Hasbro if they're considering this for the future.  Personally, if I had their ear you know I'd be nagging them about MORE Evolutions figures folks!  You know me, ever-persistant and all that crap.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Review: Evolutions - Sith Lords
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 03:29 AM »
Awesome review again Jesse! I can tell you took alot of time and pride on this review. Awww... was it because this was your favorite EVO pack? Well it was my Fav.

I really liked this set- the dooku was my favorite character. Was it because his facial expression was the most nuetral? hmmm...

I'd love a ATRT driver, ROTS biker scout/troop, and ROTJ Scout Evo pack..and yes, I would buy several of the imperial packs you mentioned ;)

Definately agree that the Maul elbow joints don't hurt the fig. too much considering all it's other positives, good point.
 Waiting on your next (EVO?) review hopefully 2006 EVO set?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 06:09 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Wow, you must have spent a lot of time preparing that one!

Great review - right after reading it, I checked out some online retailers to see if I could snag one..unfortunately, everybody is sold out.

:-[

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 07:03 AM »
I think AMazon has this set for, actually, a reasonable price Ruiner.  Check out our Amazon link on the front page if you would.  I was looking up Evo sets tonight and know I saw it there...

BTW, Entertainment Earth I think has all the Evolutions sets too, if you're looking, and while they cost a little more than if you'd found them at retail, they're worth it more or less.  I'd suggest getting 'em that way.  EE link's out there too (I gotta whore the site ya know).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 07:14 AM »
By the way, thanks for the positive marks guys...

Yeah, the Evolutions sets were novels...  Really they and VOTC were.  The positive was that I can cheat a little by giving the same blanket opinion on certain aspects (packaging, etc.), so I try to cut my workload down that way.

I'm all about the actual review though...  I like to take a close look at this stuff, not just breeze over it and give opinions without substantiation to why I feel the way I do...  I own it, I opened it, I review it by actually messing with the item.  I have my pattern and routine down with these now, but yeah reviewing 3 figure boxed sets really kinda got long-winded.  :)  Especially on sets like the Sith Lords where they're all 3 substantially unique from one another.  The Clones were the easiest because from AOTC to ANH they don't change a TON.  When you talk about armor sculpt, it's the same on all 3 in quality, so you can't get as long-winded.

The Sith Lords and Anakin though...  Man I was really burnt out, haha.  I'm glad I'm done, and if Evo sets come up in the future I"ll be a bit selective what I do.  I wanted this series covered though because I have a love for this whole concept so I wanted to really get my opinion out on them.  They're just great product.  Same with VOTC, and also the basic line I try to get my strongest opinions out...  Positive or negative.  That's why I don't mix in much that I'm "indifferent" towards because it just doesn't make for good reading.  They only sneak in for diversity's sake.  ;)

Thanks for reading guys, there's good stuff there so try to find a set if you don't own it.  Same with the other 2 (3 technically) sets.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 12:31 PM »
I think AMazon has this set for, actually, a reasonable price Ruiner. Check out our Amazon link on the front page if you would. I was looking up Evo sets tonight and know I saw it there...

BTW, Entertainment Earth I think has all the Evolutions sets too, if you're looking, and while they cost a little more than if you'd found them at retail, they're worth it more or less. I'd suggest getting 'em that way. EE link's out there too (I gotta whore the site ya know).

Thanks for the tips.

I have all the sets minus the Sith one - I thought Dooku was a rehash of the ROTS release so I passed.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 07:58 PM »
Yes! This set rocked! I agree with the review, it's pretty spot on, and I have to say it's amazing that the Dooku could be such an improvement over an already decent basic figure and the Emperor, I don't know what it is about it, but even despite the questionable scowl, it's just wicked in almost every way possible.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 01:47 AM »
I like the scowl for fighting since the ROTS Dooku has a more passive face...

The cool thing about both Dooku's is to me the Evolutions Dooku makes your best "basic" Dooku.  If you want Dooku fighting in the hangar with Yoda or fighting Anakin on the Invisible hand, or EU fights or whatnot...  He's great to display in any of these ways.

The great thing though is that ROTS Dooku is really nice to own as well because he's got the arms removable at the right place for Anakin's taste of dark side aboard the invisible hand... 

ROTS Dooku has noticeably weaker leg articulation (he's not got ball/socket knees but rather hinged knees with swiveling boot tops), and his arms look a little odd with the cut at the forearm.  I prefer displaying that one on his knees waiting for his fate then.

That's just me though...  I have the Evo one duking it out with Anakin right now but stuff's gonna go in storage here shortly while I build stuff around my display area(s).

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 03:32 PM »
This is the only evolutions 3-pack I've got

Offline Word_Weaver

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama! (Woah, that's what I was gonna put!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 05:40 PM »
My kingdom, my kingdom for a Sith Evo Set! (Or just Palps! ;))

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 01:37 AM »
All 3 ar egood, though Maul's so-so due to his arms.  For some reason they just are a pain to pose.

Palps is pretty spiffy though, no doubt.

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #11 on: October 4, 2006, 05:41 PM »
i gotta say i never bought this pack because of the dooku & Maul, but i got palpy on ebay, had to customize him though.

that dooku looks more like sean connery and that darth maul is a waste of plastic.  either way i love ep3 dooku and hall of fame Maul.